Professional Web Applications Themes

Opinions on the Olympus C-730 Please. - Photography

My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom. She is used to her Cannon and long lenses. In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it. In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about using AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish. What does the panel think of this model? The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling these things. Thanks. Barry....

  1. #1

    Default Opinions on the Olympus C-730 Please.

    My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about using
    AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.

    What does the panel think of this model?

    The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    these things.

    Thanks.

    Barry.

    Barry Parker Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opinions on the Olympus C-730 Please.

    The Olympus 700 line was one I considered but decided against because of the
    lack of stabilization. I'm going with the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 because of the
    12X optical zoom with stabilization, plus it uses SD cards which I already
    have a good supply of.

    The only drawbacks to the FZ1 are the proprietary battery (which are very
    hard to find right now!) and the fact that it's only 2 mp... but 99% of my
    pics are for online... and I burn photo CDs rather than printing photos...
    so that's not much of an issue for me. (I currently have a Mavica FD92 (1.6
    mp) and have gotten very nice 8x10 prints out of it.)

    "Barry Parker" <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    > She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    > In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    > In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    using
    > AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    >
    > What does the panel think of this model?
    >
    > The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    > these things.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Barry.

    Guest

  3. #3

    In article <3f114c8e_4corp-news.newsgroups.com>,
    [email]bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk[/email] says...
    > My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    > She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    > In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    > In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about using
    > AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    >
    > What does the panel think of this model?
    >
    > The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    > these things.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Barry.

    I've got the 740, which I'm very fond of. Great for a point and shoot.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  4. #4

    "Barry Parker" <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> wrote in message
    | My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    | She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    | In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    | In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    using
    | AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    |
    | What does the panel think of this model?
    |
    | The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    | these things.
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | Barry.

    I have had the C-730UZ since march 2003. I am still learning about all of
    the programs.

    I bought it for the 10X zoom feature and compactness of the camera. I have
    gotten some good pictures on 8 to 10X without a tripod in good lighting and
    just recently took some wedding pictures without the flash, as the minister
    wouldn't allow it. (Manual mode, f3.5 and 1/30 sec.& ASA 400) I found myself
    wishing for a f1.2 or f1.8 lens as it was on the ragged edge with the
    available lighting in the church.

    The zoom seems sluggish and y in operation and is hard to get the
    subject framed like I want it as fast as I would like. We are taking it back
    where I purchased it this week to see if it has a problem or not.

    Just after I bought the 730 the 740 was released. It is priced lower than
    the 730 and as far as I could tell the programing was the same. The eyepiece
    has a rubber bezel and it only accepts XD cards.

    Being able to use rechargeable AA cells is a plus for me. In a pinch you can
    use AA alkaline cells or rechargeable ni-cads, which I plenty of.

    I like the camera and feel it is worth what I paid for it. A Nikon body with
    35mm type lenses would be my ideal but is out of my price range.

    Hope this is of some help to you,

    Jarhead

    Jarhead Guest

  5. #5

    "Barry Parker" <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> gave Roy Batty a mean glare and
    said:
    >My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    >She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    >In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    >In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about using
    >AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    >
    >What does the panel think of this model?
    I had a C700 (2.1 megapixel 10x zoom) and overall liked it better than my
    C4000 and C3030. Because of the zoom.

    Here's a handheld photo taken with the C700, two miles from the "target"

    [url]http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv/downtown_view03.jpg[/url]

    "You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
    The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
    The entree consists of boiled dog."
    Rick Deckard Guest

  6. #6

    "Barry Parker" <bparkercix.REMOVEME.co.uk> writes:
    > Thanks all.
    >
    > I now see that there is a 740 and a 750.
    > The 750 may be too new for anybody to comment on but apart from 4M pixels
    > there doesn't seem much difference.
    The C-750UZ has external flash support, and the ability to use the RM-1 remote
    control device which is useful for family portraits. I think it has an all
    metal body too. I've been seeing posts from people with the C-750UZ on
    dpreview.com in the Olympus Talk Forum recently.
    > The 740 & 750 are cheaper than the 730!!
    > That's progress.
    There is one small fly in the ointment -- the C-740UZ/C-750UZ only use xD
    media, which is more expensive than the smartmedia that the C-730UZ could also
    take. However, unlike film, you generally only buy media a few times.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: [email]mrmnewsthe-meissners.org[/email]

  7. #7

    I have a C-730 and like most of its features, but it has one problem that
    would limit its utility as a point and shoot. When the camera is set on auto
    film speed, it selects too low a film speed for low light conditions (will
    choose iso 64 even with resulting shutter speeds of 1/3 second.) Sent it
    back to Olympus and they say that's the way C-730s work. They also indicated
    that the C-740 and C-750 do the same thing.

    "Rick Deckard" <deckardbladerunnerNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > "Barry Parker" <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> gave Roy Batty a mean glare and
    > said:
    >
    > >My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    > >She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    > >In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    > >In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    using
    > >AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    > >
    > >What does the panel think of this model?
    >
    > I had a C700 (2.1 megapixel 10x zoom) and overall liked it better than my
    > C4000 and C3030. Because of the zoom.
    >
    > Here's a handheld photo taken with the C700, two miles from the "target"
    >
    > [url]http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv/downtown_view03.jpg[/url]
    >

    > "You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
    > The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
    > The entree consists of boiled dog."

    Paul & Nancy Guest

  8. #8

    Barry Parker <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    > She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    > In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    > In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    using
    > AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    >
    > What does the panel think of this model?
    >
    > The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    > these things.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Barry.

    This fellow uses one to shoot weddings.

    [url]http://www.photographybygeorge.com[/url]

    Why don't you ask him?

    Patrick L.

    Patrick L. Guest

  9. #9

    "Barry Parker" <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> wrote in message
    | My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    | She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    | In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    | In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    using
    | AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    |
    | What does the panel think of this model?
    |
    | The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people selling
    | these things.
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | Barry.

    I replied to you Sunday on the C-730 but it did not post. I bought a 730 in
    March just prior to the release of the 740. Since it is the first digital
    camera I have owned I didn't need anything but the XD card slot, so the 740
    would suite me fine. I sent the camera back yesterday due to the zoom
    function having a grating sound and working sluggish and erratic. I do like
    the camera though.

    Available light wedding pictures were marginal with f3.5 being the maximum
    f-stop that could be obtained in manual mode. I selected ASA 400 and 1/30th
    sec. shutter speed, used noise reduction and obtained some usable shots.

    I am still learning how to use all of the features this camera has.

    Unless you have some smart cards on hand go for the $100.00 cheaper 740
    camera.

    Jarhead

    Jarhead Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks to all for the feedback.
    If a professional wedding photograper uses one it must be good enough for us
    :-)

    Barry.

    "Patrick L." <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote in message
    news:GKOQa.2726$Mc.240170newsread1.prod.itd.earth link.net...

    > Barry Parker <bparkerREMOVEMEcix.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My wife likes the look of the Olympus C-730. It has 10X optical zoom.
    > > She is used to her Cannon and long lenses.
    > > In one shop the proprietor was very keen on it.
    > > In another he was very against it but some of the things he said about
    > using
    > > AA batteries and the cost of cards were rubbish.
    > >
    > > What does the panel think of this model?
    > >
    > > The opinions here tend to be a lot more valid than from the people
    selling
    > > these things.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Barry.