Professional Web Applications Themes

ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error - Oracle Server

Hi dbuckingham, I am also facing the similar problem. I have 2 instances of 9i on same server. I am able to connect with one of them and connecting to other instance gives me ORA-12560. tnsping is successful in both the cases. only connection to sqlplus is giving problem. I saw that your problem got resolved, so can you please help me to troubleshoot the problem. Kindly let me know the steps you took to solve the issue. Thanks vipin -- Posted via [url]http://dbforums.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error

    Hi dbuckingham,

    I am also facing the similar problem. I have 2 instances of 9i on same
    server. I am able to connect with one of them and connecting to other
    instance gives me ORA-12560. tnsping is successful in both the cases.
    only connection to sqlplus is giving problem. I saw that your problem
    got resolved, so can you please help me to troubleshoot the problem.
    Kindly let me know the steps you took to solve the issue.

    Thanks
    vipin

    vipin_shar Guest

  2. #2

    Hi vipin_shar, thanks for writing this:

    > Hi dbuckingham,
    >
    > I am also facing the similar problem. I have 2 instances of 9i on same
    > server. I am able to connect with one of them and connecting to other
    > instance gives me ORA-12560. tnsping is successful in both the cases.
    > only connection to sqlplus is giving problem. I saw that your problem
    > got resolved, so can you please help me to troubleshoot the problem.
    > Kindly let me know the steps you took to solve the issue.
    >
    > Thanks
    > vipin
    >
    > --

    I notice that you got this error when trying to connect to a local db. I
    ran into the same problem once, trying to login to sqlplus to start my
    database ... and scratched my head, trying to figure out what was wrong
    with the Oracle network (since that's what the error message seems to
    indicate). Checked all the network files and they seemed okay. Ran thru
    all the lsnrctl and tnsping checks.

    Finally on a whim, I displayed the current environment variables. Well,
    ORACLE_HOME wasn't set ... so I set it ... and the error went away. Who
    would have thought that not having oracle_home set would cause a network
    protocol adapter error? The bequeath protocol, eh?
    --
    [:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]
    Karsten Farrell Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by vipin_shar
    > Hi dbuckingham,
    >
    > I am also facing the similar problem. I have 2 instances of 9i on same
    > server. I am able to connect with one of them and connecting to other
    > instance gives me ORA-12560. tnsping is successful in both the cases.
    > only connection to sqlplus is giving problem. I saw that your problem
    > got resolved, so can you please help me to troubleshoot the problem.
    > Kindly let me know the steps you took to solve the issue.
    >
    > Thanks
    > vipin
    Hi Vipin,

    Unfortunately, i am not going to be able to give you to much help here
    for i am still not 100% sure what fixed my issue. It was a weird one.
    The problem I had was that the machine is in a different location to
    where i am, so when i was onsite where the machine was, i originally got
    the issue when trying to log in via svrmgrl, one instance was fine, the
    other i got the issue with. I gave up on the issue while i was onsite
    and went home. I then tried to fix the issue via terminal services, but
    one thing i was to find out is that, if you try and use svrmgrl via
    terminal services you will always get this error for the communication
    protocols being used are different. In the end I rang the people where
    the machine was and asked them to reboot it and try again from their end
    and it worked, so i am not 100% sure what the issue was. Why work for
    them and not for me even though we did the same thing on the machine?

    As indicated in another post, make sure that the oracle_home is set.

    However my issues continue with environment, the TNSListener is not
    creating handles to the second instance if it is on auto startup in
    services, it has to be manually started. Oracle say it is due to memory,
    but looking into it, there is more than enough memory (RAM + VM) to
    accommodate this, so I am still not sure.

    Sorry I cannot be of more help. If i think of anything i will let you
    know.

    Cheers

    Dan.

    dbuckingham Guest

  4. #4

    Default ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error

    This is due to 3 main reasons.
    1. Processes/sessions are full
    2. Listner not able to listen ..
    3. Some how sessions information not able to reach DB.

    Solution:
    Stop and start the listener
    if it's windows machine restart the application server which is conneceted to the oracle
    restart the database
    Venkat Guest