Professional Web Applications Themes

Oracle to DB2 migration - IBM DB2

Hi We are currently working on a project to migrate our Oracle database to DB2. For migrating the data, we are using Oracle Select statement which will write the data into a text file. Then we use Db2 Loader to load the data into DB2. All the tables and columns are same in oracle and DB2. My question is: It takes long time (about an hour for 4 million rows) for the Oracle select and write into the file. I suppose almost same time will be taken for loading also. Our application is 24x7. So, I am wondering is there ...

  1. #1

    Default Oracle to DB2 migration

    Hi

    We are currently working on a project to migrate our Oracle database
    to DB2. For migrating the data, we are using Oracle Select statement
    which will write the data into a text file. Then we use Db2 Loader to
    load the data into DB2. All the tables and columns are same in oracle
    and DB2.

    My question is: It takes long time (about an hour for 4 million rows)
    for the Oracle select and write into the file. I suppose almost same
    time will be taken for loading also. Our application is 24x7. So, I am
    wondering is there any speedy way to get this done. There may be a
    possibility for shutting down the application for some time (may be 4
    hours) but not more than that.

    Thanks for your help

    V Prakash
    Prakash Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Oracle to DB2 migration

    I wouldn't assume that the DB2 Load Utility will take the same time as
    SQL. You may be pleasantly surprised. Take a subset of the data and
    benchmark it before you do the actual migration. Let us know how long it
    takes for the file creation and then for the Load process to work ... I'm
    curious.

    Larry Edelstein

    Prakash wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We are currently working on a project to migrate our Oracle database
    > to DB2. For migrating the data, we are using Oracle Select statement
    > which will write the data into a text file. Then we use Db2 Loader to
    > load the data into DB2. All the tables and columns are same in oracle
    > and DB2.
    >
    > My question is: It takes long time (about an hour for 4 million rows)
    > for the Oracle select and write into the file. I suppose almost same
    > time will be taken for loading also. Our application is 24x7. So, I am
    > wondering is there any speedy way to get this done. There may be a
    > possibility for shutting down the application for some time (may be 4
    > hours) but not more than that.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > V Prakash
    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    [email]venkatprakashhotmail.com[/email] (Prakash) wrote in message news:<78b3b5e2.0308201501.6a8b0a24posting.google. com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > We are currently working on a project to migrate our Oracle database
    > to DB2. For migrating the data, we are using Oracle Select statement
    > which will write the data into a text file. Then we use Db2 Loader to
    > load the data into DB2. All the tables and columns are same in oracle
    > and DB2.
    >
    > My question is: It takes long time (about an hour for 4 million rows)
    > for the Oracle select and write into the file. I suppose almost same
    > time will be taken for loading also. Our application is 24x7. So, I am
    > wondering is there any speedy way to get this done. There may be a
    > possibility for shutting down the application for some time (may be 4
    > hours) but not more than that.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > V Prakash
    LOAD ought to be very fast provided your DB2 environment is set up
    okay; would worry more about the extract times. Options that might
    help would be performing multiple extracts at once - even from the
    same table (program cursors tend to be a bottleneck and that's one way
    to overcome this); or if your Oracle application reliably timestamps
    row inserts/updates, maybe you could do two extracts. The first would
    run while the Oracle system is online, extracting all records
    inserted/updated since the earliest ever time, and then loading them
    to DB2 with the LOAD utility. The second essentially a repeat, but
    with Oracle system offline and only extracting records
    inserted/updated since the start of the previous run - these then
    loaded to DB2 using IMPORT with INSERT_UPDATE mode - should be quick
    because volumes would presumably be much lower. You could still
    stream the extracts to minimise downtime even more.

    Oracle people should be able to advise best on maximising speed of
    Oracle extract to file.

    DG
    Database Guy Guest

  4. #4

    [email]venkatprakashhotmail.com[/email] (Prakash) wrote in message news:<78b3b5e2.0308201501.6a8b0a24posting.google. com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > We are currently working on a project to migrate our Oracle database
    > to DB2. For migrating the data, we are using Oracle Select statement
    > which will write the data into a text file. Then we use Db2 Loader to
    > load the data into DB2. All the tables and columns are same in oracle
    > and DB2.
    >
    > My question is: It takes long time (about an hour for 4 million rows)
    > for the Oracle select and write into the file. I suppose almost same
    > time will be taken for loading also. Our application is 24x7. So, I am
    > wondering is there any speedy way to get this done. There may be a
    > possibility for shutting down the application for some time (may be 4
    > hours) but not more than that.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > V Prakash
    There are lots of options to choose from. Along with others posted,
    you can use perl to link the two (via DBI).

    Your key problem is not the technical issue of which migration method
    to use, but the issue of planning the entire switchover operation. You
    want to be very careful and precise. I've had lots of experience with
    this type of work. Send me an email (use [email]edprochaknetscape.com[/email] for a
    faster response) and I can pass along some suggestions. You may not be
    able to avoid downtime, but you can plan to control it.

    HTH,
    ed
    Ed prochak Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Larry Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Praksh,

    IBM is offering a tool and service to help you migrating from Oracle to
    DB2.
    Look at the page http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/db2/migration/

    Regards Rolf
    Rolf Guest