Professional Web Applications Themes

Ordering of pages in large multi-page doent - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

How do you get Acrobat to acquire pages in a specific order? In greater detail: if I have say 10 pdf doents that I want to insert as individual pages in a larger doent, how do I get Acrobat to pick the pages up and insert them in a specific order, such as alphabetical order? Specifically, if I have 300 or 400 or more pdfs that have alphanumeric names such as ABC12345, or ABC12346, ABC12347 and so on, how do I get the pages to insert in the same order as the name would fall in a finder level directory? ...

  1. #1

    Default Ordering of pages in large multi-page doent

    How do you get Acrobat to acquire pages in a specific order?

    In greater detail: if I have say 10 pdf doents that I want to insert as individual pages in a larger doent, how do I get Acrobat to pick the pages up and insert them in a specific order, such as alphabetical order? Specifically, if I have 300 or 400 or more pdfs that have alphanumeric names such as ABC12345, or ABC12346, ABC12347 and so on, how do I get the pages to insert in the same order as the name would fall in a finder level directory? Right now Acrobat will acquire the doents as pages but it inserts them in a seemingly arbitrary order.

    Why do we want to do this? We use hundreds of pdf doents in big pdx (index doents) as a search database for packaging assignments. For various reasons we now have to have the pages appear in a logical order, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead of 5, 3, 1, 4, 2, or whatever, we seem to have now control over this at all.

    If we try to do the same thing with screen capture .png files we have the same problem. For instance, if there are 30 files called "Picture 1.png", "Picture 2.png" and so on, Acrobat will not sort the files out or put them in order, or prompt for any kind of decision from the user to do so.

    So does anybody posting here know how to do this?

    Hope we are explaining this adequately.

    Any advice, help or instruction would be gratefully received.

    Thanks in advance,

    sw
    Scott_Wicks@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ordering of pages in large multi-page doent

    Scott,

    Which version of Acrobat and OS are you using. This was a problem in Acro6 and earlier versions of OSX. It's a UNIX problem where to speedup the access files are accessed in time order, most recent first. It doesn't go to the folder and take them in order. I thought this was fixed in Acro7.

    Larry
    Larry_G._Schneider@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Scott, I've moved to V7 of Acrobat now but when I used V6 I did a pretty basic AppleScript to do this for me. Don't know if you want to give it a try your welcome to it? It also creates bookmarks for the inserted pages based on the file naming. You can assemble PDF's from folders of single or multi page docs. I used it for single page to multi page docs then ran on folder of multi page docs to create chapters of bookmarks.
    Mark_Larsen@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hello Larry and Mark,

    My bad, should have listed that info.

    Acrobat 7 Professional
    OSX 10.4.8
    Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5

    We get a different result every time.

    sw

    (Sure, I'd try your AppleScript out, very kind of you to offer.)
    Scott_Wicks@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Use the Create PDF from Multiple option - this should lock your pages
    into the position based upon the run list in the combine dialogue ...

    Jon
    Jon Bessant Guest

  6. #6

    Scott, here is the code that I used to combine my projects if the suggestion offered by jon does not work for you (I have yet to test this in V7). A breif description of how I intended it to work. Point finder at folder of PDF's it opens the first then repeats through the rest inserting the pages at the end of doent 1 then saves this PDF to the desktop. This process can be repeated to create seveal multi-page chapters if you like. Then place the multi-page docs in folder and run again this will then create a single file frrom the first doent. The only part I was never able to work out and requires some manual intervention is the bookmarks of the first multi-page need selecting and moving into the first bookmark to make it a top-level bookmark like the rest. Hope it is of some use to you. Some additional notes at top of script you will need to check for file naming.

    * ************************************************** *****************

    -- Order your docs by number.name.pdf for example none alphabetical bookmarks
    -- Your Bookmark is called what is between the 2 fullstops in the file name.
    -- 001.Contents Page.pdf
    -- 002.Zebras Page.pdf
    -- 003.Lions Page.pdf
    -- 004.Elephantnts Page.pdf
    -- 005.Antelopes Page.pdf
    -- 006.Hippos Page.pdf
    -- 007.Index Page.pdf
    -- To change the bookmark name to just use alphanumeric names set bookmark name to text item 1. (In the 3 places marked)
    -- File name extensions are assumed.
    --------------
    set inputFolder to choose folder with prompt "Where is your folder of PDF files…" without invisibles
    set filePath to (path to desktop from user domain) as string
    --
    tell application "Finder"
    set filesList to files in inputFolder
    set thePDFs to count of filesList -- Count the PDF's
    set theFile to item 1 of filesList as alias
    end tell
    --
    tell application "Acrobat 6.0.2 Professional"
    activate
    open theFile -- Open first PDF
    set docRefA to the name of doent 1
    set bounds of doent 1 to {48, 110, 600, 800} -- Set the view of first doent
    set view mode of doent 1 to pages and bookmarks -- Watch the bookmarks fall in
    --
    set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."
    if PageCount > 1 then
    tell doent 1
    make new bookmark at beginning with properties ¬
    {fit type:fit page, name:BookName}
    end tell
    end if
    end tell
    repeat with i from 2 to thePDFs
    tell application "Finder"
    set theFile to item i of filesList as alias
    end tell
    tell application "Acrobat 6.0.2 Professional"
    activate
    open theFile with invisible -- Open the next PDF
    set docRefB to the name of doent 2
    --
    set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."
    set BookName to text item 2 of docRefB -- Set the bookmark name here! (2)
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
    --
    set AddPages to count of pages of doent docRefB
    insert pages doent docRefA after PageCount from doent docRefB starting with 1 number of pages AddPages with insert bookmarks
    if AddPages = 1 then
    tell doent 1
    make new bookmark at end with properties ¬
    {destination page number:{(PageCount + 1)}, fit type:fit page, name:BookName}
    end tell
    end if
    close doent 2 saving no
    end tell
    end repeat
    --
    tell application "Acrobat 6.0.2 Professional"
    create thumbs doent 1
    set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."
    if (count of text items of thisBookName) > 1 then
    set BookName to text item 2 of thisBookName -- Set the bookmark name here! (3)
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
    set name of bookmark j to BookName
    end if
    --
    end repeat
    save doent 1 to file ((filePath & ":" & docRefA) as string) with linearize

  7. #7

    Hello Mark Ln,

    Thanks! We'll have a go with your script and see how it works for us. We appreciate your being gracious with this help.

  8. #8

    Scott, not a problem. Just remember with anything like this always use duplicates of files for evaluation purposes. Hope it works for you as it does for me & saves you some time.
    Mark_Larsen@adobeforums.com Guest