Professional Web Applications Themes

Oreilly's "Learning Perl 3rd Edition" - PERL Beginners

I'm nearly finished with this book (definitely excellent book!). Some items I need to review again (expressions will take some work). Afterwards I plan on moving upward and onward in perl. I'm curious if Oreilly's "Programming Perl" or "Perl Cookbook" would be good to jump into. Or is there another book I should study? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Oreilly's "Learning Perl 3rd Edition"

    u235sentinel@comcast.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Oreilly's "Learning Perl 3rd Edition"

    > I'm nearly finished with this book (definitely excellent book!). Some
    items I need to review again (expressions will take some work).
    Afterwards I plan on moving upward and onward in perl. I'm curious if
    Oreilly's "Programming Perl" or "Perl Cookbook" would be good to jump
    into. Or is there another book I should study?

    In the past I would have suggested Programming Perl, the cookbook is
    more for examples of specific items, an excellent resource to be sure,
    but not necessarily learning material. Recently I would suggest the
    Llama's new soul mate,

    [url]http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lrnperlorm/[/url]

    It will take you to the next level for sure. The old soul mate, which I
    really enjoyed at the time seems to have lost some of its luster, at
    least in that ORA seems to have replaced it with the above,

    [url]http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/advperl/[/url]

    The two above overlap a good deal.

    Having said that, the Camel is indispensable and should be on every Perl
    programmers shelf. Naturally there is also Safari if you aren't into
    being a zoo keeper like some of us (or don't have the funds)....

    [url]http://danconia.org[/url]
    Wiggins D Anconia Guest

  3. #3

    Wiggins> The two above overlap a good deal.

    The Alpaca and the Panther overlap in that they cover some similar
    ground. But the Alpaca is designed to be a step-by-step tutorial: in
    fact, it's a transcript of the course we teach (both onsite and
    open-enrollment) for people who have completed the Llama course and
    want more. The Panther is closer to a reference book.

    <merlynstonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
    Randal L. Schwartz Guest

  4. #4

    > Wiggins> The two above overlap a good deal.
    >
    > The Alpaca and the Panther overlap in that they cover some similar
    > ground. But the Alpaca is designed to be a step-by-step tutorial: in
    > fact, it's a transcript of the course we teach (both onsite and
    > open-enrollment) for people who have completed the Llama course and
    > want more. The Panther is closer to a reference book.

    Well put, and I agree (naturally). I guess I hadn't thought about the
    Panther as a reference, because at the time it acted as both for lack of
    other resources, but the newer is definitely in the same vain as the
    Learning style, and I definitely enjoyed its easy flow.

    [url]http://danconia.org[/url]
    Wiggins D Anconia Guest

  5. #5

    On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:11 AM, [email]u235sentinelcomcast.net[/email] wrote:
    [..]
    > I'm nearly finished with this book (definitely excellent book!).
    > Some items I need to review again (expressions will take some work).
    > Afterwards I plan on moving upward and onward in perl. I'm curious
    > if Oreilly's "Programming Perl" or "Perl Cookbook" would be good to
    > jump into. Or is there another book I should study?
    [..]

    Getting the Programming Perl, and the pocket reference:
    <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlpr4/>

    are worth it, so that you have the time to wander around
    in the former on general principle, and the later for
    those "Duh!" moments we all have when we are trying to
    remember some arcania. These are so that you can start
    sorting out where you want to start specializing.

    The Learning Perl Objects and References is the
    learning progression you will want to step up to
    in terms of learning perl.

    Then you become friends with

    <http://perl.oreilly.com/>

    and

    <http://www.perldoc.com/>

    and the current version of perldoc stuff
    that came with your release of perl.

    ciao
    drieux

    ---

    Drieux Guest

  6. #6

    Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

    >Wiggins> The two above overlap a good deal.
    >
    >The Alpaca and the Panther overlap in that they cover some similar
    >ground. But the Alpaca is designed to be a step-by-step tutorial: in
    >fact, it's a transcript of the course we teach (both onsite and
    >open-enrollment) for people who have completed the Llama course and
    >want more. The Panther is closer to a reference book.
    I worked through the LLama and used the Camel for some additional information at certain stages. Now I ordered the Alpaca but not the Panther since itseems a bit outdated (1997) to me.

    I am looking forward to reading the second Learning book, since I really enjoyed Learning Perl. Thanks Randal!

    - Jan
    --
    Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. - Groucho Marx
    Jan Eden Guest