Professional Web Applications Themes

Organizing apps on a web site - ASP.NET General

I have several ASP.NET applications that I want to put onto a new website. Each app is currently its own solutions with it's own global.asax, etc.. What is the right way to deploy multiple asp.net applications onto a single website? Does each one just go into a subordinate directory below the main directory which is under wwwroot? Is there a problem with all of the global.asax files? Thanks, Dean...

  1. #1

    Default Organizing apps on a web site

    I have several ASP.NET applications that I want to put onto a new website.
    Each app is currently its own solutions with it's own global.asax, etc..

    What is the right way to deploy multiple asp.net applications onto a single
    website? Does each one just go into a subordinate directory below the main
    directory which is under wwwroot? Is there a problem with all of the
    global.asax files?

    Thanks,
    Dean

    Dean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Organizing apps on a web site

    If you're saying you want to copy all your apps to a single web server, then
    your description of how to do it is correct. (And you'd also need to
    configure each of the subdirectories (directly under wwwroot) as
    applications in IIS.)

    If you want to merge all your individual web applications into a single web
    application then that would be much more complicated and you'd need to
    manually merge the global.asax, web.config, and other such files.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "Dean" <net> wrote in message
    single
    main

    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    Steve:
    Since I said "website" and you said "web server" I just want to make sure we
    are discussing the same thing...

    I will have shared website at my web hoster (not a dedicated server). I
    think that means that I get a virtual directory under my hosters wwwroot.
    My directory will be named DeansWeb where I will have some intorductory html
    pages. Below the DeansWeb directory I will have a subdirectory for each of
    my ASP.Net apps.

    Is that the right way to do it?
    Thanks,
    Dean

    "Steve C. Orr, MCSD" <net> wrote in message
    then
    web [/ref]
    website.
    > single
    > main
    >
    >[/ref]

    Dean Guest

  4. #4

    OIC what U mean now.
    Well you'll have to talk to your web hoster to be sure, but generally you
    pay for one web application and you get one web application.
    If you determine its ok for your apps to all share the same Application
    variables & such then you could merge them together, but you'll likely have
    to do it the hard way.
    I think you really need to understand more about what exactly a web
    application is.
    Here's more info:
    http://www.igeek.com/articles/Web/WebApp.txt
    http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/what_is_a_web_application.php
    http://davenet.userland.com/2000/03/12/whatIsAWebApplication

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "Dean" <net> wrote in message
    we
    html
    of
    > then
    > web [/ref]
    > website. [/ref][/ref]
    etc..
    > > single
    > > main
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    I read those three articles and they are very basic and of no technical use.
    We are having a failure to communicate.

    Let me try to communicate more clearly. My definition of a website, in IIS,
    is that I get a Virtual Directory. I can have any number of ASPX pages,
    HTML pages, and I can have a global.asax. Can I have more than one
    global.asax in a hierarchy within an IIS virtual directory? In other words
    can I have the following:
    \wwwroot
    \DeansWeb directory
    default.aspx
    \appone directory
    appone.aspx
    global.asax
    \apptwo directory
    apptwo.aspx
    global.asax

    In this example above I have two asp.net applications that coexist in one
    website. For instance there are thousands of websites that have multiple
    "applications." Etrade, for example has banking apps, trading apps, etc in
    a single website.
    Hope this is clearer,
    Dean

    "Steve C. Orr, MCSD" <net> wrote in message
    have [/ref]
    sure [/ref]
    wwwroot.
    > html
    > of [/ref][/ref]
    server, [/ref][/ref]
    single
    > > website. [/ref]
    > etc.. [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    the

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Dean Guest

  6. #6

    You can only have one global.asax per web application.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "Dean" <net> wrote in message
    use.
    IIS,
    words
    in

    Steve Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, I know that. But the question at the beginning of this thread was...

    Can I have two web applications in a website?

    > use.
    > IIS,
    > words [/ref]
    one [/ref]