Professional Web Applications Themes

Organizing Commands - Macromedia Fireworks

In MX, I have a few folders under Commands, some with a few dozen commands in them. Now, I would have thought that creating a subfolder would create a submenu in FW, but it doesn't. The commands in a subfolder just do not appear on the menu. How do you manage a large number of commands without being able to subcategorize? Thanks, Chet...

  1. #1

    Default Organizing Commands

    In MX, I have a few folders under Commands, some with a few dozen commands
    in them. Now, I would have thought that creating a subfolder would create a
    submenu in FW, but it doesn't. The commands in a subfolder just do not
    appear on the menu. How do you manage a large number of commands without
    being able to subcategorize?

    Thanks, Chet

    Chester Harold Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Organizing Commands

    How many commands are we talking here? ;o) Have you tried John Dunning's
    Commands Panel extension ([url]http://johndunning.com/fireworks/)?[/url]

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "Chester Harold" <chetno-spam.com> wrote in message
    > In MX, I have a few folders under Commands, some with a few dozen commands
    > in them. Now, I would have thought that creating a subfolder would create
    > submenu in FW, but it doesn't. The commands in a subfolder just do not
    > appear on the menu. How do you manage a large number of commands without
    > being able to subcategorize?
    >
    > Thanks, Chet

    Sam Poikail Guest

  3. #3

    I'm on 1280x1024 and have enough commands in some directories that I get the
    scroll up and down bars on the menu. I would rather categorize commands
    into at most a dozen per group. I am a subcategorization freak, perhaps --
    you may recall I like to do the same with fonts, files, and anything else.
    It just makes it easier to find. The dozen is a very good maximum grouping
    unit for general purposes.

    I'm not sure I've seen that panel, although I've been to the site, so I will
    check it out. Thanks.

    Chet

    "Sam Poikail" <indigo_wolfSPAMBITEShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How many commands are we talking here? ;o) Have you tried John Dunning's
    > Commands Panel extension ([url]http://johndunning.com/fireworks/)?[/url]
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sam
    >
    > "Chester Harold" <chetno-spam.com> wrote in message
    > > In MX, I have a few folders under Commands, some with a few dozen
    commands
    > > in them. Now, I would have thought that creating a subfolder would
    create
    > > submenu in FW, but it doesn't. The commands in a subfolder just do not
    > > appear on the menu. How do you manage a large number of commands
    without
    > > being able to subcategorize?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Chet

    Chester Harold Guest

  4. #4

    Unfortunately, John's Command panel will only let you have two categories:
    All and Favorites (You toggle what goes into the Favorites tab of the panel
    by clicking on the little star next to the command name in the All
    category).

    Still with me? Here's where you need to bring along a flak jacket and maybe
    a flashlight, because I am not sure how well doented this is. This
    applies to MX and I don't know yet whether is has been changed in MX 2004 (I
    suspect not, but can't say for sure). I also don't know how this works on a
    Mac.

    The Commands Menu is broken into 3 sections divided by seperator lines:

    -----Section 1--------------------

    Manage Saved Commands...
    Manage Extensions...
    Run Script...

    -----Section 2--------------------

    Global Commands

    -----Section 3--------------------

    User Commands

    ----------------------------------

    Section 1 is set and can't/shouldn't be changed.

    Section 3 is governed by the contents of
    C:\Doents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Macromedia\Fireworks
    MX\Commands
    and doesn't honor sub-directories as you have discovered. Each user on a
    NT/2K/XP based system can have their own set of commands in this area.

    Section 2 is governed by the contents of
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX\Configuration\Commands
    (this directory will be slightly different if you didn't install to the
    default location).
    Commands placed here will be available to all users on a NT/2K/XP based
    system. This does honor sub-directories, but only one level.

    If you create a sub-directory here, it will show up as a cascading menu
    below the Commands menu. If you try to set up a sub-directory two-levels
    below "Commands" a cascading menu that will branch from the Commands menu
    will be created but it will branch one level deep. However, it will gather
    ALL the commands from the sub-directory below "Commands" and ANY below that.

    For instance:
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX\Configuration\Commands\Test
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX\Configuration\Commands\Test\Sub-1
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks
    MX\Configuration\Commands\Test\Sub-1\Sub-Sub-1

    Placing commands in these three directories would create a Menu Item in the
    Commands Menu called "Test". Test would be a cascading menu item that would
    contain all the commands from the Test directory and any directories (in
    this case Sub-1 and Sub-1\Sub-Sub-1) below it. This could lead to multiple
    menu entries with the same caption/text.

    Hopefully that made sense. If not, let me know and I will post again.

    > I'm on 1280x1024 and have enough commands in some directories that I get
    the
    > scroll up and down bars on the menu. I would rather categorize commands
    > into at most a dozen per group. I am a subcategorization freak,
    perhaps --
    > you may recall I like to do the same with fonts, files, and anything else.
    > It just makes it easier to find. The dozen is a very good maximum
    grouping
    > unit for general purposes.
    >
    > I'm not sure I've seen that panel, although I've been to the site, so I
    will
    > check it out. Thanks.
    >
    > Chet
    >
    > "Sam Poikail" <indigo_wolfSPAMBITEShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How many commands are we talking here? ;o) Have you tried John
    Dunning's
    > > Commands Panel extension ([url]http://johndunning.com/fireworks/)?[/url]
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Sam
    > >
    > > "Chester Harold" <chetno-spam.com> wrote in message
    > > > In MX, I have a few folders under Commands, some with a few dozen
    > commands
    > > > in them. Now, I would have thought that creating a subfolder would
    > create
    > > > submenu in FW, but it doesn't. The commands in a subfolder just do
    not
    > > > appear on the menu. How do you manage a large number of commands
    > without
    > > > being able to subcategorize?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Chet

    Sam Poikail Guest