Professional Web Applications Themes

OS 10 Firewall - Mac Networking

Hi, I have just set up a new Imac with OS 10.X.X and hooked it up to my DSL modem and enabled the built in personal firewall. Just to be sure I went to [url]www.grc.com[/url] and checked the firewall using "sheilds up" and found that everything was stealthed except that the machine responded to pings and 'port 0' was closed rather than stealth. Being new to macs, does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth 'port 0', I tried personal firewall but through system preferences you can only "allow" network traffic on the port, there is no ...

  1. #1

    Default OS 10 Firewall

    Hi,
    I have just set up a new Imac with OS 10.X.X and hooked it up to my
    DSL modem and enabled the built in personal firewall. Just to be sure
    I went to [url]www.grc.com[/url] and checked the firewall using "sheilds up" and
    found that everything was stealthed except that the machine responded
    to pings and 'port 0' was closed rather than stealth. Being new to
    macs, does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth
    'port 0', I tried personal firewall but through system preferences you
    can only "allow" network traffic on the port, there is no option to
    "deny" it or the ping response.

    I don't want to go messing with the undelying ip tables as I am usure
    whether this would mess other things up or 100% how to edit them
    properly.

    Any help appreciated
    Zane Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS 10 Firewall

    In article <f27a37b7.0310011154.4ba6ebd4posting.google.com >,
    [email]zane_cahillhotmail.com[/email] (Zane) wrote:

    :> Hi,
    :> I have just set up a new Imac with OS 10.X.X and hooked it up to my
    :> DSL modem and enabled the built in personal firewall. Just to be sure
    :> I went to [url]www.grc.com[/url] and checked the firewall using "sheilds up" and
    :> found that everything was stealthed except that the machine responded
    :> to pings and 'port 0' was closed rather than stealth. Being new to
    :> macs, does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth
    :> 'port 0', I tried personal firewall but through system preferences you
    :> can only "allow" network traffic on the port, there is no option to
    :> "deny" it or the ping response.
    :>
    :> I don't want to go messing with the undelying ip tables as I am usure
    :> whether this would mess other things up or 100% how to edit them
    :> properly.
    :>
    :> Any help appreciated

    Personally, I seriously doubt that port zero is of any concern. Read
    the info provided there about it. Since it's a technically undefined
    port, I doubt that it's even possible to "stealth" that port. As for
    shutting down the ping responses, your best bet might be to buy an
    actual router. I don't have the firewall turned on here on any of my
    systems. We're all behind a router. And GRC shows that I don't respond
    to any ping requests, even though one machine is exposing its FTP, SSH
    and HTTP ports.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  3. #3

    Zane <zane_cahillhotmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have just set up a new Imac with OS 10.X.X and hooked it up to my
    > DSL modem and enabled the built in personal firewall. Just to be sure
    > I went to [url]www.grc.com[/url] and checked the firewall using "sheilds up" and
    > found that everything was stealthed except that the machine responded
    > to pings and 'port 0' was closed rather than stealth. Being new to
    > macs, does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth
    > 'port 0', I tried personal firewall but through system preferences you
    > can only "allow" network traffic on the port, there is no option to
    > "deny" it or the ping response.
    >
    > I don't want to go messing with the undelying ip tables as I am usure
    > whether this would mess other things up or 100% how to edit them
    > properly.
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    Try this:

    [url]http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/brickhouse.html[/url]

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)

  4. #4

    Zane wrote:

    > does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth
    > 'port 0'
    Do what the other guys said. E.g. put an Asante router
    between your IMac and your modem. It has a firmware
    "website" on it that allows one to discard pings and
    to hide all ports, including 0 (which isn't used).
    George Williams Guest

  5. #5

    In article <stevewjackson-044C1F.16373901102003corp.supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote:
    > As for
    > shutting down the ping responses, your best bet might be to buy an
    > actual router. I don't have the firewall turned on here on any of my
    > systems. We're all behind a router. And GRC shows that I don't respond
    > to any ping requests, even though one machine is exposing its FTP, SSH
    > and HTTP ports.
    The Airport base station is a router, I believe. Does its firewall
    provide this level of protection?

    --
    ads123
    ads123 Guest

  6. #6

    In article <f27a37b7.0310011154.4ba6ebd4posting.google.com >,
    [email]zane_cahillhotmail.com[/email] (Zane) wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have just set up a new Imac with OS 10.X.X and hooked it up to my
    > DSL modem and enabled the built in personal firewall. Just to be sure
    > I went to [url]www.grc.com[/url] and checked the firewall using "sheilds up" and
    > found that everything was stealthed except that the machine responded
    > to pings and 'port 0' was closed rather than stealth. Being new to
    > macs, does anyone know how to stop responding to pings and stealth
    > 'port 0', I tried personal firewall but through system preferences you
    > can only "allow" network traffic on the port, there is no option to
    > "deny" it or the ping response.
    >
    > I don't want to go messing with the undelying ip tables as I am usure
    > whether this would mess other things up or 100% how to edit them
    > properly.
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    "sudo ipfw add 3001 deny icmp from any to any in via en0 icmptype 8"

    That's a zero in "en0". You will have to manually add this rule every
    time you boot up.

    Alternatively, you can use a differnet interface for the built in
    firewall such as BrickHouse or SunShield.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  7. #7

    In article <blflgu0111aenews4.newsguy.com>,
    ads123 <ads123invalid.invalid> wrote:

    :> In article <stevewjackson-044C1F.16373901102003corp.supernews.com>,
    :> "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote:
    :>
    :> > As for
    :> > shutting down the ping responses, your best bet might be to buy an
    :> > actual router. I don't have the firewall turned on here on any of my
    :> > systems. We're all behind a router. And GRC shows that I don't respond
    :> > to any ping requests, even though one machine is exposing its FTP, SSH
    :> > and HTTP ports.
    :>
    :> The Airport base station is a router, I believe. Does its firewall
    :> provide this level of protection?

    I don't know specifically what level of protection any router has except
    my Linksys. I'll have to defer to those with an Airport to answer. But
    in general, I wouldn't expect port 0 to be an issue with any router, and
    I suspect that some will specifically let you decide whether ping
    packets go through (my Linksys doesn't let me decide -- it just doesn't
    pass them through).

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  8. #8

    I heard ProteMac NetMine ( ww.protemac.com ) is a good firewall too, anybody used it?
    Dasha Samojlova is offline Junior Member
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7