Professional Web Applications Themes

OS demo written in assembler written in Bash - UNIX Programming

http://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/interim/Forreal.tgz Demos Forreal Mode, an undoented 386 unprotected 32 bit mode, boots, and is written in osimplay, an assembler written entirely in Bash. Author of all the above and "Duct Tape Blues" as heard on PRI... Rick Hohensee net...

  1. #1

    Default OS demo written in assembler written in Bash

    http://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/interim/Forreal.tgz

    Demos Forreal Mode, an undoented 386 unprotected 32 bit mode, boots,
    and is written in osimplay, an assembler written entirely in Bash.

    Author of all the above and "Duct Tape Blues" as heard on PRI...

    Rick Hohensee
    net

    cLIeNUX Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS demo written in assembler written in Bash

    (cLIeNUX user) writes:

    What has this got to do with programming in Unix? Probably no more
    than is has to do with the Linux kernel, the mailing list for which
    you used to annoy with these posts.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    se

  3. #3

    net

    >What has this got to do with programming in Unix? Probably no more
    >than is has to do with the Linux kernel, the mailing list for which
    >you used to annoy with these posts.[/ref]

    "an assembler written entirely in Bash" is programming in unix. I hope
    that annoys you. In fact, that constitutes programming circles around
    pompous twits like yourself. In unix.

    cLIeNUX Guest

  4. #4

    net

    >>What has this got to do with programming in Unix? Probably no more
    >>than is has to do with the Linux kernel, the mailing list for which
    >>you used to annoy with these posts.[/ref]
    >
    >"an assembler written entirely in Bash" is programming in unix. I hope
    >that annoys you. In fact, that constitutes programming circles around
    >pompous twits like yourself. In unix.[/ref]

    And osimplay, my assembler in Bash, obsoletes C.

    Rick Hohensee

     [/ref]
    cLIeNUX Guest

  5. #5

    cLIeNUX user wrote:

    >>"an assembler written entirely in Bash" is programming in unix. I hope
    >>that annoys you. In fact, that constitutes programming circles around
    >>pompous twits like yourself. In unix.[/ref]
    >

    > And osimplay, my assembler in Bash, obsoletes C.[/ref]

    Question: how does it handle the differences between the S390, PDP11, and
    PowerPC instructionsets?

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

    Lew Guest

  6. #6

    net

    >> And osimplay, my assembler in Bash, obsoletes C.[/ref]
    >
    >Question: how does it handle the differences between the S390, PDP11, and
    >PowerPC instructionsets?[/ref]

    By using just the subsets of the 386 that those have, and/or by use of a
    few macros for things the 386 does most oddly, such as REP prefix actions,
    which go away nicely as macros like fill, scan, move and so on. osimplay
    is also basically word-size-indifferent.

    You are of course implying that C is portable, that being portable is
    necessary to obsolete C, and that there's a big need for new PDP11 code.
    That's a well-matched set of assertions.

    osimplay obsoletes C because the compiler mirage has not panned out,
    because osimplay has basically no dependancies and no install overhead,
    will thus be impossible to commercialize, and other things that C can't
    remotely touch. And osimplay is easier to learn.

    But I'm biased.

    Rick Hohensee

    cLIeNUX Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:44:32 -0000, (cLIeNUX user) wrote:

    >>Question: how does it handle the differences between the S390, PDP11, and
    >>PowerPC instructionsets?[/ref]
    >
    >By using just the subsets of the 386 that those have, and/or by use of a
    >few macros for things the 386 does most oddly, such as REP prefix actions,
    >which go away nicely as macros like fill, scan, move and so on. osimplay
    >is also basically word-size-indifferent.[/ref]

    I was unaware that /any/ of the S390, PDP11, or PowerPC instructionsets
    contained "subsets of the 386", or were otherwise compatable with the 386 in any
    way. (Yes, I am aware that there are variations of the PowerPC that provide a
    x86 instructionset, but I was referring to the AS400 versions of the PowerPC).

    In fact, IBM would be very surprised that /any/ 386 instructionset could be used
    on the S390 or AS400/PowerPC chips, as would (the dearly departed) DEC be wrt
    the PDP11.

    So, you've written an assembler for the Intel x86 processor, and want to sell
    that as a universal solution. I'm afraid that your high opinion of your software
    is not shared by the professionals in the field.

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions

    Lew Guest

  8. #8

    net

    >>By using just the subsets of the 386 that those have, and/or by use of a
    >>few macros for things the 386 does most oddly, such as REP prefix actions,
    >>which go away nicely as macros like fill, scan, move and so on. osimplay
    >>is also basically word-size-indifferent.[/ref]
    >
    >I was unaware that /any/ of the S390, PDP11, or PowerPC instructionsets
    >contained "subsets of the 386", or were otherwise compatable with the 386 in any
    >way. (Yes, I am aware that there are variations of the PowerPC that provide a
    >x86 instructionset, but I was referring to the AS400 versions of the PowerPC).[/ref]

    They all have OR. What do you usually pay for tutoring?

    Rick Hohensee

    cLIeNUX Guest

  9. #9

    (cLIeNUX user) writes:

    >>I was unaware that /any/ of the S390, PDP11, or PowerPC
    >>instructionsets contained "subsets of the 386", or were otherwise
    >>compatable with the 386 in any way. (Yes, I am aware that there are
    >>variations of the PowerPC that provide a x86 instructionset, but I
    >>was referring to the AS400 versions of the PowerPC).[/ref]
    >
    > They all have OR. What do you usually pay for tutoring?[/ref]

    Doesn't the Troll's dictionary have the word "efficient"?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    se

  10. #10

    net

    >> They all have OR. What do you usually pay for tutoring?[/ref]
    >
    >Doesn't the Troll's dictionary have the word "efficient"?[/ref]

    So what have we learned today, geek? We've learned that Rullborscht has
    the credibility and integrity of a Microsoft salesman, and that osimplay
    obsoletes C, according to it's author Rick Hohensee, who also says
    flagrantly true things like "Linus Torvalds works for Micrososft."

    The interested reader may believe who they want. osimplay is at
    ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/interim
    along with several other innovations Rullborscht couldn't imagine unless I
    had written them.

    Rick Hohensee

    cLIeNUX Guest

  11. #11

    (cLIeNUX user) writes:

    >>Doesn't the Troll's dictionary have the word "efficient"?[/ref]
    >
    > So what have we learned today, geek? We've learned that Rullborscht has
    > the credibility and integrity of a Microsoft salesman, and that osimplay
    > obsoletes C, according to it's author Rick Hohensee, who also says
    > flagrantly true things like "Linus Torvalds works for Micrososft."[/ref]

    *plonk*

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    se