Professional Web Applications Themes

OS Question - XP Home v. 2000 Pro - Windows Server

I've just installed a Windows Small Business Server 2003. One of the client's laptops has Windows XP Home on it. Am I understanding correctly that it cannot be configured to connect to a domain? Do I have to put Windows 2000 on it for it to correctly connect to the server? If not, how do I connect it using XP Home, I cannot find anywhere to enter a domain name. Thanks, Nick...

  1. #1

    Default OS Question - XP Home v. 2000 Pro

    I've just installed a Windows Small Business Server
    2003. One of the client's laptops has Windows XP Home on
    it. Am I understanding correctly that it cannot be
    configured to connect to a domain? Do I have to put
    Windows 2000 on it for it to correctly connect to the
    server? If not, how do I connect it using XP Home, I
    cannot find anywhere to enter a domain name.

    Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS Question - XP Home v. 2000 Pro

    Hi Nick,

    You are right. Windows XP Home can't be part of domain. If you need this PC
    to join the domain, you will need to upgrade it to Windows XP Professional
    or install Windows 2000 Professional...

    Mike

    "Nick" <nbergernmberger.com> wrote in message
    > I've just installed a Windows Small Business Server
    > 2003. One of the client's laptops has Windows XP Home on
    > it. Am I understanding correctly that it cannot be
    > configured to connect to a domain? Do I have to put
    > Windows 2000 on it for it to correctly connect to the
    > server? If not, how do I connect it using XP Home, I
    > cannot find anywhere to enter a domain name.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    Miha Pihler Guest

  3. #3

    I've never installed Windows 2000 over XP Home or Pro, I
    don't have to do a clean install, do I? I think he has a
    lot of files and crap on his laptop that cannot be easily
    backed up. So I hope I can just put Windows 2000 over XP
    Home. Man, what a pain.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    Nick Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, clean install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
    install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    follow the prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/protect[/url]

    "Nick" wrote:
    | I've never installed Windows 2000 over XP Home or Pro, I
    | don't have to do a clean install, do I? I think he has a
    | lot of files and crap on his laptop that cannot be easily
    | backed up. So I hope I can just put Windows 2000 over XP
    | Home. Man, what a pain.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Nick

    Dave Patrick Guest

  5. #5

    If you plan to install Windows XP Professional then you can do upgrade. If
    you plan to install Windows 2000 then I would recommend clean install.

    Mike

    "Nick" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've never installed Windows 2000 over XP Home or Pro, I
    > don't have to do a clean install, do I? I think he has a
    > lot of files and crap on his laptop that cannot be easily
    > backed up. So I hope I can just put Windows 2000 over XP
    > Home. Man, what a pain.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    Miha Pihler Guest

  6. #6

    Hello,

    Windows XP Home was meant to be used by consumers, and not corporate
    organisations. So the Home Edition cannot be joined to a domain.

    You need to either install Windows 2000, which means that you must do a
    clean install. You can also install Windows XP Pro, which can be installed
    as an upgrade from Windows XP Home (so you do not need to reinstall
    anything).

    Good Luck, and i hope this answers your question(s)!

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

    "Nick" <nbergernmberger.com> wrote in message
    > I've just installed a Windows Small Business Server
    > 2003. One of the client's laptops has Windows XP Home on
    > it. Am I understanding correctly that it cannot be
    > configured to connect to a domain? Do I have to put
    > Windows 2000 on it for it to correctly connect to the
    > server? If not, how do I connect it using XP Home, I
    > cannot find anywhere to enter a domain name.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    Kristofer Gafvert Guest

  7. #7

    Nick,

    What do you need to do with the laptop? If you need to have it logged in and
    joined to the office domain fully, then you're only options are the ones
    mentioned (XP Pro or Win2K). However, if this laptop is only occasionally
    used on the network to transfer a few files, you still can use XP Home on
    the laptop. We had a guy from our corp office come to this office for a
    couple of weeks and he brought his personal notebook that had XP Home on it.
    He could still see the network drives and even print through the network
    with some "work-arounds".

    It's been a while, but it seems like, he was presented with the "Connect As"
    login box each time he tried to get to a network resource; I just created a
    username/password for him on the network with the necessary permissions. I'd
    have to think about it a while to remember exactly what he could or couldn't
    do.

    James

    "Nick" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've never installed Windows 2000 over XP Home or Pro, I
    > don't have to do a clean install, do I? I think he has a
    > lot of files and crap on his laptop that cannot be easily
    > backed up. So I hope I can just put Windows 2000 over XP
    > Home. Man, what a pain.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    Jaime Guest

  8. #8

    Also, I believe the notebook wouldn't ever "see" the server when browsing,
    we had to do a search to find it. Again, it's been a while since I did this.

    James

    Jaime Guest