Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X 10.2.8 Problem - Mac Applications & Software

I just upgraded to 10.2.8, and a funny thing happened... All the .pdf files on my desktop became Preview icons, and actually opened in Preview... When i went to Info, and selected Open with, i could select Acrobat Reader, and the icons changed back and everything worked fine... Today i downloaded a .pdf file, and it was in Preview... Changed it back... Anyone have any idea why this is happening??? TIA -- --- (remove x before emailing) "your worst day at the ballpark, is better then your best day at work!!"...

  1. #1

    Default OS X 10.2.8 Problem

    --
    ---
    (remove x before emailing)
    "your worst day at the ballpark,
    is better then your best day at work!!"
    dennis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X 10.2.8 Problem

    In article <240920031118067217%com>,
    dennis <com> wrote:

    Yeah, there is a setting to indicate which application will open PDFs by
    default. I've got mine set for Reader, but for the life of me I can't
    find where that setting is. Hopefully someone else will respond.
    Sorry, but at least now you know there IS an answer.
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    In article <swiftel.com.au>,
    Bill Robbins <com> wrote:

    Click on any PDF file
    Choose Get Info from the Finder-File menu
    Open up the "Open with" section

    Choose the application you want to open PDFs by default
    Select "Change All."

    All PDFs will then open with that application.

    --
    ****************
    Preorder Lord of the Ring DVDs and videos.

  4. #4

    In article <attbi.com>, MP
    <net.invalid> wrote:

    > Click on any PDF file Choose Get Info from the Finder-File menu Open
    > up the "Open with" section
    >
    > Choose the application you want to open PDFs by default Select
    > "Change All."
    >
    > All PDFs will then open with that application.[/ref]

    Let's say you want to set the default application for 12 or 15
    different file formats which may or may not currently be on your
    system. Is there no central location for this activity?

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Guest

  5. #5

    I did that, and when the Reader started, it asked me if i wanted Reader
    to be my default .pdf reader... I answered yes and everthing works fine
    now!!

  6. #6

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:45:49 -0700, upon awakening from a drug-induced
    coma, Gerry Scott-Moore woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

    > > Click on any PDF file Choose Get Info from the Finder-File menu Open
    > > up the "Open with" section
    > >
    > > Choose the application you want to open PDFs by default Select
    > > "Change All."
    > >
    > > All PDFs will then open with that application.[/ref]
    >
    > Let's say you want to set the default application for 12 or 15
    > different file formats which may or may not currently be on your
    > system. Is there no central location for this activity?[/ref]

    http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?
    productDB=mac&mode=Quick&OS_Filter=MacOSX&search=f ile+types&x=0&y=0

    I'm not sure if there is such a way built into OS X, but here's a
    listing of 3rd-party utilities that may to do the trick.
    Just Guest

  7. #7

    In article <MPG.19dced868cad437a989683news-server>,
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Just_Annutha_Dewd?= <josť> wrote:

    > http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?
    > productDB=mac&mode=Quick&OS_Filter=MacOSX&search=f ile+types&x=0&y=0
    >
    > I'm not sure if there is such a way built into OS X, but here's a
    > listing of 3rd-party utilities that may to do the trick.[/ref]

    Also see "More Internet"

    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>
    James Guest

  8. #8

    Say, where is 10.2.8 available? I just checked for new software updates
    via Software Update in System Preferences and saw nothing regarging
    system software...

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Guest

  9. #9

    In article <250920031801486043%net.invalid>,
    Gerry Scott-Moore <net.invalid> wrote:

    They took it off. It's a cobbed up affair. Many are having problems
    and I lost the compact flash card reader. It shows on system profiler
    but I can't download pictures. It works fine on the 10.2.6 firewire
    backup drive. I'm sure they'll have a fix in due time.
    I keep saying to myself, self don't install the upgrade right away and
    let others test it, but I always upgrade right away, never learn.

    dj
    --

    Guest

  10. #10

    In article <250920031801486043%net.invalid>, Gerry
    Scott-Moore <net.invalid> wrote:

    It seems Apple has taken it off-line. Maybe too many bugs? Expect
    10.2.9 in a few days!
    Philo Guest

  11. #11

    In article <rdc-kc.rr.com>,
    <com> wrote:

    Hehe. I keep saying the same thing.

    Having said that, it seems to work on both the iMacs I've tried it on as
    well as my 15" Powerbook.

    There do appear to be a few issues with it though. I've discovered a few
    TCP emissions from it which weren't present before (but they were quickly
    cured by adding a couple of new firewall rules). So far, USB cameras and
    networking seem ok (touch wood) which I think were two issues that some
    people have expressed concern about.

    --
    pv __\\|//__ Life.
    (` o-o ') the Universe

    Do not become that which you seek to destroy.
    Paul Guest

  12. #12

    In article <attbi.com>, MP
    <net.invalid> wrote:

    The problem I've had with this, especially with respect to graphic
    files, is that as soon as you download a new one you have to redirect
    it to the appropriate app. I absolutely hate the Preview app. It
    interferes with Mac-like behavior and refuses to let go. With every
    version upgrade I have to find it and kill it (stuff it on the off
    chance I find a need for it).

    How about a system preference which decides whether Preview is so
    dominant or whether it just quietly sleeps until properly asked for
    help.

    --
    --Chip
    remove dots in prefix to fix email address

    Chip Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Paul wrote:

    > Hehe. I keep saying the same thing.
    >
    > Having said that, it seems to work on both the iMacs I've tried it on as
    > well as my 15" Powerbook.
    >
    > There do appear to be a few issues with it though. I've discovered a few
    > TCP emissions from it which weren't present before (but they were quickly
    > cured by adding a couple of new firewall rules). So far, USB cameras and
    > networking seem ok (touch wood) which I think were two issues that some
    > people have expressed concern about.
    >[/ref]

    Heh, I was afraid to install it but did anyway. The only thing I've
    noticed is Classic Mode is buggy...Classic apps unexpectedly quit too
    often. I learned to save my work frequently!
    (15" tibook)

    Expletive Guest