Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Browser popularity? - Mac Networking

Anyone have a rough idea of the relative popularity of the various OS X browsers? Google zeitgeist doesn't break down by platform and the only thing I have been able to find is the Code article from a year ago that suggests that Safari is #1, various Gecko engines (Camino, Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird) are #2 and IE was losing ground rapidly (under 10%). Since we work great with Safari and Gecko, and since IE's Javascript is so incredibly bad, I'd just as soon support Safari and Gecko and call it good. We only support IE under Windows, so restrictions like ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X Browser popularity?

    Anyone have a rough idea of the relative popularity of the various OS X
    browsers? Google zeitgeist doesn't break down by platform and the only
    thing I have been able to find is the Code article from a year ago
    that suggests that Safari is #1, various Gecko engines (Camino,
    Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird) are #2 and IE was losing ground rapidly
    (under 10%).

    Since we work great with Safari and Gecko, and since IE's Javascript is
    so incredibly bad, I'd just as soon support Safari and Gecko and call it
    good. We only support IE under Windows, so restrictions like this are
    not a consideration, but I want to make sure I'm not missing the #1
    browser.

    TIA,

    --

    - rmgw

    <http://www.trustedmedianetworks.com/>

    Richard Wesley Trusted Media Networks, Inc.

    "A little patience and a lot of tape!"
    - Danny DeVito, _Batman Returns_
    Richard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X Browser popularity?

    Richard Wesley <com> wrote:

    Agree with Safari's ranking, not sure that IE is so unpopular yet.
    I like IE's WYSIWYG printing preview, so I won't drop it until this
    feature becomes available in Safari..

    --
    madiba
    madiba Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1gbu30q.15hqjp01kdu1fgN%com>, madiba
    <com> wrote:

    > Agree with Safari's ranking, not sure that IE is so unpopular yet.
    > I like IE's WYSIWYG printing preview, so I won't drop it until this
    > feature becomes available in Safari..[/ref]

    Err it is there innit? At least in 10.3.3. cmd-P -> Preview produces an
    on-screen pdf that can be printed there and then. For every
    application, not just Safari

    --
    I thought I would be the last on earth to mangle my e-mail address.
    fsnospam$elliott$$

  4. #4

    madiba wrote:

    It's gonna be a lot more unpopular now that MS has said they will no
    longer be supporting it for the Mac!!!

    --

    Brian Rost
    Stargen, Inc.

    Brian Guest

  5. #5

    Elliott Roper <co.uk> wrote:

    But that is an (almost!) exact image of what is on screen. IE gives much
    more options like selecting which frame, etc, etc.

    Safari is nearly useless when it comes to printing websites and i always
    switch browser for that.
    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
    AnToNio Guest

  6. #6

    > > Preview produces an
    >
    > But that is an (almost!) exact image of what is on screen. IE gives much
    > more options like selecting which frame, etc, etc.
    > Safari is nearly useless when it comes to printing websites and i always
    > switch browser for that.[/ref]

    I find that Safari printing is and always has been "broken" on two different
    10.2.8 Macs I've tried (a G3 and G4). The printout is always MUCH bigger
    than the viewed page, even if I preview as a PDF. If it looks like I'm viewing
    12 pt font, it looks like it's printing 16 or 18 pt fonts (eyeball estimate,
    not measured with a pica ruler). If I "make text smaller" several times, the
    printed page looks better but then I can't even read the screen and that's a
    pain in the ... font.

    When I need to print a page, I have been using IE 5.2 but I just installed
    Firefox and Camino and will be trying them instead.

    I also note that Safari 1.0 on 10.2.8 does not properly display patent
    images from www.uspto.gov. They are tiny images at the bottom of
    a huge page. IE displays them properly.

    And I'll agree to liking various IE options not available in Safari: do not
    print images (save ink AND time on slow printers), include URL as
    footer/header, etc.

    I reported both as bugs to Apple LONG ago, as yet to no avail.

    --
    Sent by xanadoof from yahoo subpart from com
    MacUser Guest

  7. #7

    In article <sj.sys.us.xo.net>,
    Richard Wesley <com> wrote:

    Erm, if the web site is designed with open standards in mind, then it
    should work on all browsers anyway. I know all of my own do. :-)

    --
    Paul Vi __\\|//__ Life.
    (` o-o ') the Universe

    Trust your senses.
    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    ip-mobilphone.net (MacUser) writes:

    Ummm, if you are still using Safari 1.0, then how would you know if
    the problems have been corrected? The current vesion is 1.2.1.
    Tim Guest

  9. #9

    Paul Vi <co.uk> writes:

    > Erm, if the web site is designed with open standards in mind, then
    > it should work on all browsers anyway. I know all of my own do. :-)[/ref]

    Yes, Web designers get confused and think that Javascript is somehow
    necessary or even that it is a "standard." It is the least adequate
    standard on the Internet, IMHO, and ought to be left to rot in the
    obscurity it deserves. Then they blame the browser instead of their
    own bad choices.

    http://www.ysisandsolutions.com/code/weberror.htm
    Tim Guest

  10. #10

    Elliott Roper <co.uk> wrote:

    > > Agree with Safari's ranking, not sure that IE is so unpopular yet.
    > > I like IE's WYSIWYG printing preview, so I won't drop it until this
    > > feature becomes available in Safari..[/ref]
    >
    > Err it is there innit? At least in 10.3.3. cmd-P -> Preview produces an
    > on-screen pdf that can be printed there and then. For every
    > application, not just Safari[/ref]
    I'm using 10.2.3 and Safari 1.0 so I'm not sure if things have changed.
    Making a pdf and printing it is not very practical, I want to see how
    it'll look before I print.

    --
    madiba
    madiba Guest

  11. #11

    madiba wrote:

    > I'm using 10.2.3 and Safari 1.0 so I'm not sure if things have changed.
    > Making a pdf and printing it is not very practical, I want to see how
    > it'll look before I print.[/ref]

    Go ahead and choose Print. Then select the PDF option. Then look at the
    PDF which you have saved to the DT. Now that is how it'll look. It's
    saved me 216 sheets of paper in 2004 alone.

    John McWilliams
    jpmcwilliams Guest

  12. #12

    [... printing bug described ...] [/ref]
    [...]
    >Ummm, if you are still using Safari 1.0, then how would you know if
    >the problems have been corrected? The current vesion is 1.2.1.[/ref]

    I'm pretty sure that 1.0.2 (v85.7) is the latest Safari for OS X 10.2.8.
    You have to buy and upgrade to OS X 10.3+ in order to run Safari 1.2.1
    and I'm not planning to spend $125 per license to upgrade machines
    that are currently working OK at what they need to do just to get a
    bug fixed Safari.

    Even though there is still a large cohort of 10.2.8 users, I don't think
    Apple is going to release a new Safari for 10.2.8.

    If anyone is successfully running Safari 1.2.1 on 10.2.8, please post!

    Thank you.

    --
    Sent by xanadoof from yahoo included in com
    MacUser Guest

  13. #13

    Tim McNamara <net> mused:

    which will only run on 10.3,
    which will not run on older h/w that supports 10.2,
    which forces me to use IE for those sites that don't know about
    Safari, and report back my browser as Netscape v.0.0,
    and then refuse to serve any pages ... :-(

    Now the correct answer, which we might not expect on *.mac ngs, is
    Apple has returned a great body of the codebase for Safari:
    you're welcome to add your own flourishes.

    http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/index.html
    Peter Guest

  14. #14

    "madiba" <com> wrote in message

    I use IE and won't leave it. I'm running 10.2.8. Safari gives me nothing
    but *slow* searching and lots of spinning beach balls. I haven't had any
    problems with IE and the File/Print Preview shows me what a page will look
    like printed. It also gives options for cropping. I've never been a
    Netscape fan either. IE may be a MS product, therefore its automatically
    considered worthless by some, but I see no reason to not use what works
    well.

    --
    Tara

    Tee Guest

  15. #15

    > > Safari is nearly useless when it comes to printing websites and i always
    >
    > I find that Safari printing is and always has been "broken" on two different
    > 10.2.8 Macs I've tried (a G3 and G4). The printout is always MUCH bigger
    > than the viewed page, even if I preview as a PDF. If it looks like I'm viewing
    > 12 pt font, it looks like it's printing 16 or 18 pt fonts (eyeball estimate,
    > not measured with a pica ruler).[/ref]

    Questions and favors to ask as it may affect an upgrade decision.

    Do others using Safari 1.0 / 10.2.8 also have the "prints too big" problem
    and have you been able to fix it? How?

    Does Safari 1.2.1 / 10.3+ print using normal fonts as displayed on screen?
    (... solve that 1.0 problem?)

    Can someone who uses 1.2.1 / 10.3+ please tell me if patent images
    from www.uspto.gov are properly sized and if you can print or print/
    'save as PDF' and get properly sized output? Could help to justfy an
    upgrade if it works.

    THANK YOU.

    --
    Sent by xanadoof from yahoo subdomain of com
    MacUser Guest

  16. #16

    In article
    <biochem.brandeis.edu>,
    ip-mobilphone.net (MacUser) wrote:

    Actually, you don't have to spend that much to upgrade. If they're all
    in the same house, you can get the family pack, which will bring down
    the cost to as little as $40 per computer, depending on the number of
    computers.

    If it's a business environment, I'm sure that there are bulk prices for
    there as well.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  17. #17

    In article
    <chem.brandeis.edu>,
    ip-mobilphone.net (MacUser) wrote:

    What do you mean by "Properly sized"?

    I could save as PDF with no problems, but PDFs are fully scalable. I
    just printed to PDF patent #1, and then printed the PDF to paper.
    Except for some very small print at the bottom of the page and the dark
    scan line below it, everything printed to one 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper.

    If you like, I'll email you the PDF; just email me a valid email address.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  18. #18

    Peter KERR <domain> writes:

    > which will only run on 10.3, which will not run on older h/w that
    > supports 10.2, which forces me to use IE for those sites that don't
    > know about Safari, and report back my browser as Netscape v.0.0, and
    > then refuse to serve any pages ... :-([/ref]

    Humm. I've never yet come across a Web site that won't serve pages
    regardless of which browser I'm using(Netscape, IE, Camino, FireFox,
    iCab, Opera, etc). What horribly incompetently designed Web site(s)
    are you having such trouble with?

    Eh? Sorry, I don't get your point.
    Tim Guest

  19. #19

    "Tee" <net> writes:

    > I use IE and won't leave it. I'm running 10.2.8. Safari gives me
    > nothing but *slow* searching and lots of spinning beach balls. I
    > haven't had any problems with IE and the File/Print Preview shows me
    > what a page will look like printed. It also gives options for
    > cropping. I've never been a Netscape fan either. IE may be a MS
    > product, therefore its automatically considered worthless by some,
    > but I see no reason to not use what works well.[/ref]

    Hey, use what works well for *you*! Nobody's got any right to
    criticize that. I like Safari, I like Camino and I like FireFox all
    better than IE (which is not even installed on my computer any
    more). If IE works well for you, more power to you.
    Tim Guest

  20. #20

    Michelle Steiner <org> writes:

    > Actually, you don't have to spend that much to upgrade. If they're
    > all in the same house, you can get the family pack, which will bring
    > down the cost to as little as $40 per computer, depending on the
    > number of computers.
    >
    > If it's a business environment, I'm sure that there are bulk prices
    > for there as well.[/ref]

    Shoot, there's nothing to stop you installing Panther on all your
    computers after buying one copy other than your personal ethics. This
    ain't Microsoft which makes every effort to control just about
    anything you can do with your computer, incuding how many computers
    you can install software on. I won't advise you one way or the other
    on this. I've installed my copy of Panther on the one computer I use
    with OS X, and don't have another computer to install it on, so the
    issue is moot for me.
    Tim Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast