Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X cannot browse internet - Mac Applications & Software

Hello everyone First of all I want to let everyone know that I'm not very familiar with OS X so please bare with me. I just got a Powerbook G4 15 1GHZ, this is my first apple notebook, last year I got the iMac as soon as they came out, and I have been using it for home use (office, internet browsing, cd burning, etc) At home I have DSL connection shared through a Windows XP and a Wireless network. I was able to set up the airport network and everything worked ok from home, file sharing, computer browsing, internet ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X cannot browse internet

    Hello everyone

    First of all I want to let everyone know that I'm not very familiar with OS X so
    please bare with me.

    I just got a Powerbook G4 15 1GHZ, this is my first apple notebook, last year I
    got the iMac as soon as they came out, and I have been using it for home use
    (office, internet browsing, cd burning, etc)

    At home I have DSL connection shared through a Windows XP and a Wireless
    network.
    I was able to set up the airport network and everything worked ok from home,
    file sharing, computer browsing, internet browsing.

    I took the computer to work where I am going to use the built ethernet, I gave
    the computer a fixed ip address, configured the DNS, the router but here is
    where my problems start, with the configuration I set up (basically the same as
    my home configuration) I am able to browse the network (windows domain
    computers), I am able to use MSN messenger (so I know I have internet access), I
    can ping any web addres (example, if I ping [url]www.fark.com[/url] , I get the name
    resolved and get response from the server) but I cannot get the pages to load in
    safari, or internet explorer.

    Anyone out there have an idea?

    Thanks

    Angel Mora
    jmoraATsewsusDOTcomDOTmx
    (you know what to change to get my email address)

    Angel Mora Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X cannot browse internet

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    OK, I'm bare too. Now what?

    :)
    Ann Guest

  3. #3

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    Does your network at work have a web proxy?

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard Guest

  4. #4

    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    You have to use a web proxy?

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  5. #5

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Ann Onymous <expense> wrote:

    I was already bare. thpt. thpt.

    So the OP already tried a proxy. Hm. What does your system admin say?

  6. #6

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    It's the Only Way. mmmmm... Wish I could do it at work, but they're
    too conservative. <sigh>

    Could be worse. At least you don't tell yourself to get a real computer!

    Now I've really got to *think*. A challenge!

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    So U R an idiot and U want us to get naked with U? I think not!

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  8. #8

    We do have a firewall, but this address has access to go outside of it..

    why would messenger go through and connect and send files and text?

    If configure it to use our web proxy I get an authentication error

    In article <net>, speakeasy.net
    says...

    >I would suggest that there's a firewall at your office blocking your web
    >access.
    >--
    >Matthew T. Russotto net
    >"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
    >of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
    >a modi of security is a very expensive vice.[/ref]

    Angel Guest

  9. #9

    Angel Mora <com> wrote:

    Well there's your problem. What is the error?

    --