Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Email Slow, Prevents Use of Computer - Mac Networking

I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X. (I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM). The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does: "Writing changes to Disk" "Compacting messages" "Indexing" "Saving Index" (Quitting it is also slow). Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time. I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X Email Slow, Prevents Use of Computer

    I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X.
    (I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM).
    The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other
    application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on
    something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does:

    "Writing changes to Disk"
    "Compacting messages"
    "Indexing"
    "Saving Index"
    (Quitting it is also slow).

    Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time.

    I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of the
    equation. But this behavior is not just after throwing out mail. It
    happens spontaneously and quite frequently.

    I'm surprised and disappointed that this Apple app, which was so
    touted by Apple as another feature of it's ultra-modern operating
    system, is so poorly designed that it hangs up the whole
    "multitasking" operating system to do it's maintenance tasks.

    Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.

    Thanks,
    Eric
    Uncle_Alias Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: OS X Email Slow, Prevents Use of Computer

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Uncle_Alias <zephinilium> wrote:
    >I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X.
    >(I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM).
    >The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other
    >application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on
    >something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does:
    >"Writing changes to Disk"
    >"Compacting messages"
    >"Indexing"
    >"Saving Index"
    >(Quitting it is also slow).
    >Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time.
    >I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of the
    >equation. But this behavior is not just after throwing out mail. It
    >happens spontaneously and quite frequently.
    >I'm surprised and disappointed that this Apple app, which was so
    >touted by Apple as another feature of it's ultra-modern operating
    >system, is so poorly designed that it hangs up the whole
    >"multitasking" operating system to do it's maintenance tasks.
    >Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    >frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    Do you do Apple-K to empty the trash? If you don't, it's all really
    still there in your inbox.

    Are you keeping everything else in one giant inbox or have you
    separated stuff out into other folders? A giant inbox will
    slow you down..

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  4. #4

  5. #5

    In article <e1eff209.0307141120.607237ecposting.google.com >,
    [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote:
    > Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    > frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric
    How often do you have it checking for new mail?
    Gregory Weston Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    On 15/07/03 10:49 AM, in article
    [email]gwestonREMOVE-BEBC5C.18495314072003netnews.attbi.com[/email], "Gregory Weston"
    <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:
    > In article <e1eff209.0307141120.607237ecposting.google.com >,
    > [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    >> frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Eric
    >
    > How often do you have it checking for new mail?
    And you might try archiving everything over a month or so old in a separate
    mailbox so that you don't have constant re-indexing of your active mailboxes
    going on whenever some new mail does arrive.

    John Webster Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Well I've taken the suggestion of creating a Mailbox for old messages.
    I'm afraid the situation is no better. If anything it seems to be much
    slower - indexing, etc.......goes on for minutes, and the computer is
    unusable as I wait for the spinning ball or the disk accessing to end.
    I end up using my Windows 2000 machine. Other programs hang or crash.

    Let's face it, OS X is not all it's cracked up to be. It's better than
    OS 9 certainly, and has a pretty face, and does some nice things, but
    is problematic in terms of everyday practical use. They should have
    worked on it more before releasing. I could struggle with it,
    re-install, etc., but why waste my time? (can you tell I'm
    frustrated?)

    [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote in message news:<e1eff209.0307141120.607237ecposting.google. com>...
    > I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X.
    > (I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM).
    > The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other
    > application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on
    > something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does:
    >
    > "Writing changes to Disk"
    > "Compacting messages"
    > "Indexing"
    > "Saving Index"
    > (Quitting it is also slow).
    >
    > Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time.
    >
    > I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of the
    > equation. But this behavior is not just after throwing out mail. It
    > happens spontaneously and quite frequently.
    >
    > I'm surprised and disappointed that this Apple app, which was so
    > touted by Apple as another feature of it's ultra-modern operating
    > system, is so poorly designed that it hangs up the whole
    > "multitasking" operating system to do it's maintenance tasks.
    >
    > Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    > frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric
    Uncle_Alias Guest

  10. #10

    Well I've taken the suggestion of creating a Mailbox for old messages.
    I'm afraid the situation is no better. If anything it seems to be much
    slower - indexing, etc.......goes on for minutes, and the computer is
    unusable as I wait for the spinning ball or the disk accessing to end.
    I end up using my Windows 2000 machine. Other programs hang or crash.

    Let's face it, OS X is not all it's cracked up to be. It's better than
    OS 9 certainly, and has a pretty face, and does some nice things, but
    is problematic in terms of everyday practical use. They should have
    worked on it more before releasing. I could struggle with it,
    re-install, etc., but why waste my time? (can you tell I'm
    frustrated?)

    [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote in message news:<e1eff209.0307141120.607237ecposting.google. com>...
    > I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X.
    > (I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM).
    > The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other
    > application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on
    > something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does:
    >
    > "Writing changes to Disk"
    > "Compacting messages"
    > "Indexing"
    > "Saving Index"
    > (Quitting it is also slow).
    >
    > Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time.
    >
    > I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of the
    > equation. But this behavior is not just after throwing out mail. It
    > happens spontaneously and quite frequently.
    >
    > I'm surprised and disappointed that this Apple app, which was so
    > touted by Apple as another feature of it's ultra-modern operating
    > system, is so poorly designed that it hangs up the whole
    > "multitasking" operating system to do it's maintenance tasks.
    >
    > Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    > frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric
    Uncle_Alias Guest

  11. #11

    In article <e1eff209.0307271639.bd75ef3posting.google.com> ,
    [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote:
    > Well I've taken the suggestion of creating a Mailbox for old messages.
    > I'm afraid the situation is no better. If anything it seems to be much
    > slower - indexing, etc.......goes on for minutes, and the computer is
    > unusable as I wait for the spinning ball or the disk accessing to end.
    > I end up using my Windows 2000 machine. Other programs hang or crash.
    >
    > Let's face it, OS X is not all it's cracked up to be. It's better than
    > OS 9 certainly, and has a pretty face, and does some nice things, but
    > is problematic in terms of everyday practical use. They should have
    > worked on it more before releasing. I could struggle with it,
    > re-install, etc., but why waste my time? (can you tell I'm
    > frustrated?)
    >
    > [email]zephinilium[/email] (Uncle_Alias) wrote in message
    > news:<e1eff209.0307141120.607237ecposting.google. com>...
    > > I've been having this ongoing frustration with the Email app in OS X.
    > > (I'm using 10.2.5 on a PowerBook 2000 Firewire model with 512M RAM).
    > > The program accesses the disk frequently, and I can't use any other
    > > application. The Mac becomes useless and I have to go work on
    > > something else (or the PC with Win2000). It frequently does:
    > >
    > > "Writing changes to Disk"
    > > "Compacting messages"
    > > "Indexing"
    > > "Saving Index"
    > > (Quitting it is also slow).
    > >
    > > Much twiddling of thumbs. Much disk thrashing heard. Wasted time.
    > >
    > > I do have to throw out a lot of spam, so I'm sure this is part of the
    > > equation. But this behavior is not just after throwing out mail. It
    > > happens spontaneously and quite frequently.
    > >
    > > I'm surprised and disappointed that this Apple app, which was so
    > > touted by Apple as another feature of it's ultra-modern operating
    > > system, is so poorly designed that it hangs up the whole
    > > "multitasking" operating system to do it's maintenance tasks.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to have it do these maintenance tasks much less
    > > frequently? I can't seem to find anything in the Preferences.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Eric
    If Mail isn't doing the job for you, you might try Eudora. You can get a
    full featured version for free if you don't mind a small ad window on
    the screen. It works pretty well for me and I have several thousand
    messages stored in about a dozen mailboxes. One thing I have noticed
    though is that it sometimes doesn't render html correctly.

    I don't think you can blame all of OS X for problems with Mail. I agree
    that Mail has a lot of problems, but I have found OS X to be very stable
    - I rarely reboot, maybe once a month, and I haven't had a kernel panic
    since early in version 10.1.

    Regards,

    Don

    --