Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X-friendly scanners - Mac Applications & Software

Hi. We are running MacOS X 10.2.6 on a G4 iMac. We had been using our son's Canon scanner, but he has reclaimed same. Hence we are now in the market for a new scanner. Suggestions? Thanks. -- Art Werschulz (net) 207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016 (908) 272-1146...

  1. #1

    Default OS X-friendly scanners

    --
    Art Werschulz (net)
    207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016
    (908) 272-1146
    Art Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X-friendly scanners

    In article <union01.nj.comcast.net>,
    Art Werschulz <net> wrote:

    I have the Canon CanoScan LiDE 30 and I love it. It is USB powered, easy to
    use, has Mac OS X software as well as a PhotoShop plug-in, and the scans
    are beautiful. It can also be had for about $80. In addition, there is now
    an LiDE 50 available for under $100.

    Good luck,
    --
    Gary L. Gray Engineering Science & Mechanics
    Associate Professor Penn State University

  3. #3

    In article <fu-berlin.de>, Gary L.
    Gray <net> wrote:

    I strongly second this recommendation. Several of my friends and I have
    various models of LiDE, and they all behave just great.

    --
    Bruce Baugh <*> com
    Writer of Fortune, Gamma World Developer

  4. #4

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    "Gary L. Gray" <net> wrote:

    > I have the Canon CanoScan LiDE 30 and I love it. It is USB powered, easy to
    > use, has Mac OS X software as well as a PhotoShop plug-in, and the scans
    > are beautiful. It can also be had for about $80. In addition, there is now
    > an LiDE 50 available for under $100.[/ref]

    I've also had good success with my Canon LiDE 30.

    Since it is powered by the USB bus, don't plug it into a keyboard USB
    port. Plug it into a USB port on the Mac itself or on a powered hub.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  5. #5

    In article <union01.nj.comcast.net>,
    Art Werschulz <net> wrote:

    I used a Microtek(sp?) for a week recently and it works very well with
    OSX and I had no problems.

    A lot of people here have recommended Canon scanners, but the low priced
    Canon scanners seem to be unique in their inability to take the lid off
    to scan large objects. In most cases this is irrelevant, but when it
    matters it matters a lot.

    I also have not been able to get my Canon N670U to work with OSX. Maybe
    it's me, maybe it's Canon, but have not yet succeeded and am not up for
    another round of d/l the latest drivers and seeing if it works this time.

    Of course, if you use scanners the way I do then the Canons are probably
    the best choice. I take my Canon scanner and iBook into libraries in
    which I lack borrowing privilidges and scan everything I need. For this
    purpose the portability of the Canon makes it the right choice.
    Hobo Guest

  6. #6

    In article <070920032012182758%com>,
    Bruce Baugh <com> wrote:

    > I strongly second this recommendation. Several of my friends and I have
    > various models of LiDE, and they all behave just great.[/ref]

    I have one of these at work and at Home. Very happy with it.

    J-

    --
    Jason Parrish
    com

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Hobo <com> wrote:

    I'm just making the switch to OSX and I have a Canon N670U too. I
    emailed Canon after reading some information that you required Photoshop
    in order to use the scanner. Since it's a very expensive program that I
    don't have, I was somewhat upset.
    They responded: "The OS X drivers and toolbox are available for
    download will work in OS X native mode and PhotoShop is not needed.
    First you need to install the toolbox then install the OS X drivers."
    I haven't tried this yet. I'd be interested in knowing if you have
    and are still having problems getting the scanner to work.
    Also, have you determined whether the scanner will work in Classic?
    I understand that VUEscan will support this machine, if all else
    fails -- thought I haven't tried that either yet.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    In <070920032012182758%com>
    Bruce Baugh <com> wrote:

    I like my LiDE 30, but the Canoscan Toolbox is honestly one of worst
    applications I've ever used.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  9. #9

    In article <slrnbmbo7j.hno.jsm158+cac.psu.edu>,
    Jennifer Mullen <jsm158+cac.psu.edu> wrote:

    > I like my LiDE 30, but the Canoscan Toolbox is honestly one of worst
    > applications I've ever used.[/ref]

    Can you describe what kind of problems you've been having?
    I have the Canon N670U, which I think is very similar to the LIDE.
    I've been using it on OS9 for a couple of years and the Toolbox never
    worked properly, but since the PhotoStudio image software loaded the
    scans just fine, I never worried about it.
    Now I've switched to OSX. I found that I can work with the scanner
    in Classic just as I did with OS9, but I'm trying to get everything into
    OSX. Canon says the only way to do this is to use the OSX Toolbox. If
    it's really buggy, would using Vuescan be a better option?
    I'd really appreciate some advice from people who've already been
    down this road on the best way to get this scanner functional in OSX.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  10. #10

    In <sWn9b.1940$bellglobal.com>
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > Can you describe what kind of problems you've been having?[/ref]

    I can't say I've been having problems with it. I just don't like it. I hate
    the interface. I hate the buttons that keep losing their icons and taking
    on the appearance of generic application icon (that one needs to be seen to
    be believed). I hate how it demands to send the scanned image to an
    application, but also doesn't recognize .apps as packages and makes you
    navigate them to find the executable file. The UI is terrible. It works,
    mostly, but I just loathe using it. I've resorted to scanning in Photoshop.

    It works, mostly. I haven't tried Vuescan, but I may.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  11. #11

    In article <slrnbmcj2g.imt.jsm158+cac.psu.edu>,
    Jennifer Mullen <jsm158+cac.psu.edu> wrote:

    > > Can you describe what kind of problems you've been having?[/ref]
    >
    > I can't say I've been having problems with it. I just don't like it. I hate
    > the interface. I hate the buttons that keep losing their icons and taking
    > on the appearance of generic application icon (that one needs to be seen to
    > be believed). I hate how it demands to send the scanned image to an
    > application, but also doesn't recognize .apps as packages and makes you
    > navigate them to find the executable file. The UI is terrible. It works,
    > mostly, but I just loathe using it. I've resorted to scanning in Photoshop.[/ref]

    Well, maybe I can live with ugly and strange if it works. I don't
    have Photoshop and it's too expensive an alternative. If I can't stand
    it, I look into Vuescan.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  12. #12

    dotlyc wrote:

    Canon told me that it won't work unless you
    install a particular library. And the only
    legal way to get that library is to purchase
    photoshop.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

    An optimist says the glass is half full.

    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Guest

  13. #13

    In article <Fgv9b.1546$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > > I can't say I've been having problems with it. I just don't like it. I hate
    > > the interface. I hate the buttons that keep losing their icons and taking
    > > on the appearance of generic application icon (that one needs to be seen to
    > > be believed). I hate how it demands to send the scanned image to an
    > > application, but also doesn't recognize .apps as packages and makes you
    > > navigate them to find the executable file. The UI is terrible. It works,
    > > mostly, but I just loathe using it. I've resorted to scanning in Photoshop.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, maybe I can live with ugly and strange if it works. I don't
    > have Photoshop and it's too expensive an alternative. If I can't stand
    > it, I look into Vuescan.[/ref]

    Photoshop Elements works well with the Canon plugin for their
    scanners, too. Not a whole lot more expensive than the Vuescan
    drivers.
    Steve Guest

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    > Canon told me that it won't work unless you
    > install a particular library. And the only
    > legal way to get that library is to purchase
    > photoshop.[/ref]

    The following is a direct quote from the email I received from
    Canon customer support:

    "The OS X drivers and toolbox are available for download will work
    in OS X native mode and PhotoShop is not needed. First you need to
    install the toolbox then install the OS X drivers."

    So they're leading one of us astray.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  15. #15

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Steve Hix <net> wrote:

    > Photoshop Elements works well with the Canon plugin for their
    > scanners, too. Not a whole lot more expensive than the Vuescan
    > drivers.[/ref]

    I didn't realize that PE would also work with the scanner. I didn't
    see it mentioned in anything I read but I was planning to look into it
    anyway. All the image programs I have are OS9 versions, although they
    work well in Classic.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  16. #16

    dotlyc wrote:

    Well, I also got the opposite from the same source.

    So either they have clueless tech support
    people (what else is new?) or they smartened
    up when I sent a few e-mails pointing out how
    that kind of stupidity is a good way to guarantee
    I never buy from Canon again. :-)

    I guess I can go back and download again!

    Thanks for the tip.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Heroes, Heritage, and History

    Wes Guest

  17. #17

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Well, I also got the opposite from the same source.
    >
    > So either they have clueless tech support
    > people (what else is new?) or they smartened
    > up when I sent a few e-mails pointing out how
    > that kind of stupidity is a good way to guarantee
    > I never buy from Canon again. :-)
    >
    > I guess I can go back and download again!
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.[/ref]

    Good grief! Their OS X download page gives a link for
    the drivers but says "toolbox not available" Follow
    the driver link, and the description says:
    "(Note: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Mac OS X or Adobe
    Photoshop Elements 2.0 for Mac OS X must be
    installed prior to installing ScanExpert v3.8.0X
    for the CanoScan N650U/N656U/N1220U scanners)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;

    Wes Guest

  18. #18

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    I haven't checked for the N670U yet, but I don't imagine the
    situation is much different. So I guess the options for non-Photoshop
    owners are PE or Vuescan.
    Or I may just stick with using the scanner in Classic. It works
    fine and I don't scan that much material. I've been seduced by the look
    and feel of OSX so I want all my apps to run natively but there's a
    dollar limit to this indulgence.
    I'll probably email customer support again about this. Maybe if
    enough customers do it, they'll come up with a better solution.
    On a related issue, I was delighted to discover that OSX had
    drivers to run my Canon printer so that was one potential problem solved
    before I could even blink. Same for my Canon camera. I wish they'd done
    the same thing for scanners.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  19. #19

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    > > Well, I also got the opposite from the same source.
    > >
    > > So either they have clueless tech support
    > > people (what else is new?) or they smartened
    > > up when I sent a few e-mails pointing out how
    > > that kind of stupidity is a good way to guarantee
    > > I never buy from Canon again. :-)
    > >
    > > I guess I can go back and download again!
    > >
    > > Thanks for the tip.[/ref]
    >
    > Good grief! Their OS X download page gives a link for
    > the drivers but says "toolbox not available" Follow
    > the driver link, and the description says:
    > "(Note: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Mac OS X or Adobe
    > Photoshop Elements 2.0 for Mac OS X must be
    > installed prior to installing ScanExpert v3.8.0X
    > for the CanoScan N650U/N656U/N1220U scanners)[/ref]

    I've got a CanoScan N650U and use the downloadable drivers with
    GraphicConverter. It works just fine with the aquire feature, no
    PhotoShop needed.

    With GraphicConverter, the scanner plug-in (CanonPS CS-U 3.8x) has to be
    installed in "/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverter/Plug-ins/"
    Heather Guest

  20. #20

    In <lrA9b.3869$bellglobal.com>
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    >> Canon told me that it won't work unless you
    >> install a particular library. And the only
    >> legal way to get that library is to purchase
    >> photoshop.[/ref]
    >
    > The following is a direct quote from the email I received from
    > Canon customer support:
    >
    > "The OS X drivers and toolbox are available for download will work
    > in OS X native mode and PhotoShop is not needed. First you need to
    > install the toolbox then install the OS X drivers."
    >
    > So they're leading one of us astray.[/ref]

    My LiDE worked just fine *before* I installed Photoshop, despite what the
    box claims.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast