Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X in other languages - Mac Applications & Software

Is it possible to add Hungarian language support to the dozen or so built in languages that Jag already has? I have a guest coming to visit from Hungary for two months who doesn't speak English. It would be nice if I could create a user account that gives her all the OS X menus and dialogs in Hungarian. Looking on the english section on www.apple.hu has a link to download Hungarian fonts for editing doents with Hungarian text, but that doesn't change the OS's language. Searching on www.apple.com's site for "hungarian language support" brings up diddly squat. So is ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X in other languages

    Is it possible to add Hungarian language support to the dozen or so built
    in languages that Jag already has? I have a guest coming to visit from
    Hungary for two months who doesn't speak English. It would be nice if I
    could create a user account that gives her all the OS X menus and dialogs
    in Hungarian. Looking on the english section on www.apple.hu has a link
    to download Hungarian fonts for editing doents with Hungarian text,
    but that doesn't change the OS's language. Searching on www.apple.com's
    site for "hungarian language support" brings up diddly squat.

    So is there a way to just download the additional language support from
    somewhere and install it? I'm not interested in purchasing any
    third-party language support because it would be in use for such a short
    time it wouldn't be worth it.

    TIA for any help.
    Gavin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X in other languages

    In article <BxWVa.396$telusplanet.net>,
    s.it (Gavin) wrote:

    Hungarian is installed by default (listed in System
    Preferences->International). If you overrode that with a custom install
    of the OS, or if you deleted it after installation, I don't know how you
    would install it without reinstalling the entire OS.

    --
    Free and shareware at <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/software/>
    Sander Guest

  3. #3

    In article <RIzWa.32978$telusplanet.net>,
    s.it (Gavin) wrote:

    It may interest you to know that Mac OS X's multi-language support means
    that extra languages can be added by any motivated person who speaks the
    desired language. If you speak Hungarian, and you're willing to learn a
    little bit about Apple's developer tools, you could add Hungarian
    support to Safari.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  4. #4

    In article <BxWVa.396$telusplanet.net>,
    s.it (Gavin) wrote:

    Not unless you're interested in doing the Hungarian translations
    for every menu and dialog of every application yourself. It's
    one of the languages Apple haven't got around to yet. However,
    there's a very good change that your friend can read one of the
    languages which /has/ been done.

    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    Simon Slavin <demon.co.uklocalhost> wrote:

    You're right. She does speak/read some German, so I guess she'll have to
    settle with that. Or I can install the Hungarian version of Windows 2000
    and she can use that on Virtual PC. But I REALLY don't want to have to
    resort to that. :-)
    Gavin Guest

  6. #6

    Greetings! Udvozlom!

    I just took a look at www.apple.hu, and indeed, although Mac OS X 10.2
    is on sale there, it isn't a localization. (I was thinking that if there
    was a localized version, you could install it on a second drive and boot
    from that drive for your mother-in-law (anyos). OS X is impossibly
    expensive in Hungary, BTW: 55,000 forints (that's around $200 right
    now). Frankly, if I lived in Hungary I'd just pirate it. I'm sure that's
    what most users do instead of paying for upgrades. (Of course, there
    will be a lot of legit copies acquired with new Macs.)

    You have to remember that in any small European country a lot of the
    culture employs foreign languages (esp. English, German would be second
    in Hungary). Ads in foreign languages in magazines, TV shows in English
    with clumsy voice-over narration in Hungarian, pop music released by
    Hungarian artists in English, product labels in English with only a tiny
    Hungary label stuck on top, etc. The people are pretty much used to it.
    The Finder doesn't require a lot of language-specific guidance, and some
    apps are probably localized. It isn't a big problem to use an English
    version of say Safari, since you're mainly following links anyway.

    A lot depends on what your mother-in-law wants to do. You might be able
    to borrow an older Windows desktop machine from a friend, or even a
    laptop, and install a Hungarian version of Windows on it. Network
    configuration with Hungarian dialog boxes can be tricky with no
    knowledge of the language. If you have an older Mac lying around and
    modern multi-media isn't necessary, you could get the Hungarian
    localized version of 7.1. I'm sure I have it somewhere, and it used to
    be available on Apple's ftp servers (try ftp.support.apple.com, if that
    still exists).

    One thing my Hungarian mother-in-law really appreciated was
    internet-based Hungarian-language radio, which she would listen to when
    alone. Nowadays you can surely find streaming video, either free or for
    a subscription, which wouldn't be prohibitive for a limited period of
    time.

    George Fowler
    (akinek is magyar felesege van)

    George Guest

  7. #7

    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    System 7.5.3 is available:
    http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/central_european.html

    --
    Top posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?