Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Installer Packages... - Mac Programming

Hello all, I have been reading the doentation at developer.apple.com regarding Software Distribution, and I am interested in creating a .pkg file to install some software correctly. Whether this is what I required or not, will be my first question. My application is dependant on the GNU MP library, (I know I have written about using GMP here before, in related yet unrelated questions). ;-/ Firstly, is a .pkg file what I require for the installation of GMP and my application on one's computer? My aim is to install GMP by default, in /usr/local, (as the Makefile and ./configure script ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X Installer Packages...

    Hello all,
    I have been reading the doentation at developer.apple.com regarding
    Software Distribution, and I am interested in creating a .pkg file to
    install some software correctly. Whether this is what I required or
    not, will be my first question.

    My application is dependant on the GNU MP library, (I know I have
    written about using GMP here before, in related yet unrelated
    questions). ;-/

    Firstly, is a .pkg file what I require for the installation of GMP and
    my application on one's computer? My aim is to install GMP by default,
    in /usr/local, (as the Makefile and ./configure script for GMP do by
    default). So is a package what I really require, or do I require
    something else?

    Note: All attempts to bundle GMP inside my application and a framework
    have failed, so I'm convinced that putting GMP inside the application is
    not the solution. GMP also seems to have to built for the target CPU,
    hence leading to my research into Package Installers.

    Secondly, am I able to test if my application has located the GMP
    'stuff' upon launching, and display an NSRunAlertPanel on start-up
    telling the user that they can't run the application if the GMP 'stuff'
    can't be found, and start-up normally if it is found.

    Sorry about all these questions, but vigourous Googling yielded no
    relevant results, and I thought here might yield some answers. ;-)

    Thanks in advance. MB.
    M Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X Installer Packages...

    In article <1g5te05.1irqfc71i5sccuN%com>,
    com (M) wrote:

    An installer package (.pkg) would certainly do this. If you decide to
    use such a package, please do some extensive testing of the package
    before releasing it, because they can be a mine-field of unexpected
    problems. Perhaps most significantly, try repairing permissions after
    the install to see if you've inadvertently changed something you didn't
    intend changing.

    I think that in order to do this, you'll need to create a separate
    "wrapper" application-- that would launch, check for presence of GMP,
    and on success launch the real application that uses GMP. You might
    also have success if you can isolate the code using GMP into a code
    bundle that you only load after testing for GMP's presence.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <1g5te05.1irqfc71i5sccuN%com>,
    com (M) wrote:

    A package is almost never required by non-Apple software. The only
    exceptions are Unix-y things like ncftp, which install with other system
    components. A user app should *not* be considered part of the system,
    and should thus not need a .pkg installer and, further, should *NOT*
    require administrative access to install or run.

    Why, because you failed to do it? That's a poor reason. Turning a
    library into a framework isn't hard. Making a framework part of an
    application isn't hard either. Perhaps if you asked specific questions
    on the problems you encountered you'd get it working.

    I don't understand this at all. If you link to something and the system
    can't find it, the app doesn't run. If you're saying it's a loadable
    library, that would correspond to an NSBundle. Similar to frameworks,
    it is easy to turn a library into a bundle. For a slightly complex
    example, I turn the SQLite library into a bundle which is then loaded by
    the STEnterprise framework which is then embedded in an app.
    Doc Guest