Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Mail or Entourage ? - Mac Portable

In article <jd4b11-8ba2.ln1pursued-with.net>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote: > In article <bobb-392F24.15002919082003news.fu-berlin.de>, > "Bob B." <bobbsphinx.com> wrote: > > > In article <20030819122132.Y75167babelfish.pursued-with.net>, > > [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote: > > > > > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Bob B. wrote: > > > > > > > The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and > > > > Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)" > > > > format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs, > > > > but to Windows users looks like ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: OS X Mail or Entourage ?

    In article <jd4b11-8ba2.ln1pursued-with.net>,
    Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <bobb-392F24.15002919082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    > "Bob B." <bobbsphinx.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <20030819122132.Y75167babelfish.pursued-with.net>,
    > > [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote:

    > > > I wanted to check this before I responded; because while I hadn't noticed
    > > > any problems I wasn't sure I'd emailed photos before.
    > > >
    > > > I sent an email with jpeg image from Mail to my corporate account, and
    > > > opened it with Outlook (2000, SR-1). The picture showed up as a single
    > > > attachment, and opened/saved to disk just like any other.
    > > >
    > > > I'd be interested to know if you have details of which Windows email
    > > > program people were seeing problems with?
    > > >
    > > > KeS
    > >
    > > OK, I just tried this to make sure I wasn't misremembering..
    > >
    > > I sent an email to myself by dragging a jpeg image into Mail and sending
    > > it. I opened the message on a PC using Outlook Express, and it shows I
    > > have two attachments. The second, larger attachment is the photo I was
    > > trying to send. The first, smaller attachment shows a detail from the
    > > photo. I would have thought the first attachment would be the resource
    > > fork, and just show garbage..
    > >
    > > Also, using my Yahoo mail account from Safari (so no PC is involved) it
    > > also shows me two attachments, the first of which appears to be empty.
    > >
    > > Maybe there is some setting in OE or Yahoo I could set to fix this, but
    > > a quick glance at their settings didn't reveal what it might be.
    > >

    > > Bob B.
    >
    > Don't know what to tell you. I just did the same thing, and sent the
    > message to Hotmail and Yahoo accounts. One attachment, handled
    > perfectly. I also viewed the sent message from Outlook Express, and it
    > looked the same...
    >
    > I'll send the email to you directly; it's not large. See what you think.
    >
    > KeS
    My guess is that this has to do with the presence or absense of a
    "resource fork" - if I drag a photo out of iPhoto and mail it, I see two
    attachments in Yahoo; if I use a program to strip out the resource fork
    before I send the same photo, then Yahoo only sees one attachment, so
    I'm pretty sure that is the problem.

    The photo I used was created via iPhoto, which downloaded it from my
    camera. Perhaps your test photo was created on a PC, or with software
    that doesn't create a resource fork?

    Bob B.
    Bob B. Guest

  2. #22

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Bob B. wrote:
    > My guess is that this has to do with the presence or absense of a
    > "resource fork" - if I drag a photo out of iPhoto and mail it, I see two
    > attachments in Yahoo; if I use a program to strip out the resource fork
    > before I send the same photo, then Yahoo only sees one attachment, so
    > I'm pretty sure that is the problem.
    Makes sense. Of course it can then be argued that it isn't the mailer's
    problem, but I see your position there.
    > The photo I used was created via iPhoto, which downloaded it from my
    > camera. Perhaps your test photo was created on a PC, or with software
    > that doesn't create a resource fork?
    Probably. Nice blade though, eh? I'll do further testing and report back
    if I have conclusions. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    KeS
    Kevin_Stevens@hotmail.com Guest

  3. #23

    I used eudora on my performa, but decided to give mail a try on my new
    ibook, especially as I like palm for notes, calander etc. Mail imported
    my old mail files fine and works okay for most mail needs, but lacks
    some of the little things that I was used to on eudora:

    1) Italicizing the copies of e-mails I sent to people, so I could file
    them in with received mails and see quickly the difference.

    2) Being able to change the subject headers of received e-mails. That
    made searching for stuff so much easier later on.

    3) Navigating the mail boxes in the side slider thing is slower that the
    drop down menu thing in Eurdora. Mail has a drop down menu option, but I
    find that this doesn't always work for some reason, and if it does it
    draws the whole list of mail boxes instead of letting you form a path....
    know what I mean?

    Mopy Guest

  4. #24

    In article <bhp3ai$o9m$swcp.com>, com (Jim Hill)
    wrote:

    > Hunh. A mail client that doesn't read Usenet. Ain't that just the
    > gol-durnedest thing?
    >

    > Jim, "do one thing only but do it well"[/ref]

    To each his own. I'm still looking for a mail application that will make
    a good cup of coffee.
    bux Guest

  5. #25

    In article <supernews.com>,
    bux <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Have never used this facility on any mail clint anyway, never even
    realised that Mail couldn't. Much prefer MT-Newswatcher for USEnet.
    Each to his own.
    Bill Guest

  6. #26

    If there's a dramatic reason to favour one or the other, I'd be curious to
    hear it.

    Having been induced to buy the MS-office suite for Mac OS-X, I find
    Entourage adequate for a newsreader, - good enough that I haven't bothered
    to try out any others. (a certain motivation to extract some value for all
    that $$).

    I used to use Entourage as my primary email client, until I got into the
    habit of using OS-X Mail. Not a lot of difference from my perspective: now I
    use both (helps manage a proliferation of email accounts).

    I haven't researched the bouquets or brickbats of Entourage as an email
    client, but I remain wary given the virus-explosion that seem to plague its
    cousin Outlook on Windows platforms. So far as I know, Entourage seems
    pretty secure?

    Ciao

    Larry

    Spam Guest

  7. #27

    On 17/9/03 9:25 PM, in article BB8E81C6.203F7%0.0.1, "Spam
    Survivor" <0.0.1> wrote:

    Hi, I use entourage as I like a all-in one thing.

    I think the mail app is good but I like something altogether.

    I treid some other newsreaders and found them very complicated.

    3662 Guest

  8. #28

    In article <BB8E9BFD.222C%com.au>,
    3662 <com.au> wrote:

    > Hi, I use entourage as I like a all-in one thing.
    >
    > I think the mail app is good but I like something altogether.
    >
    > I treid some other newsreaders and found them very complicated.
    >[/ref]

    MT-Newswatcher is the best free news reader. I don't like the way that
    Entourage threads (or not) the newsgroup articles.
    Dave Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12