Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Mail or Entourage ? - Mac Portable

Hey all, I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc. Any opinions would be great. Also I've put together a list of the most common issues that I'll ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X Mail or Entourage ?

    Hey all,

    I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.

    Any opinions would be great.

    Also I've put together a list of the most common issues that I'll take along
    when I go buy my PB I plan to thoroughly examine the unit. If anyone has any
    other issues they've had let me know & I'll add it. My list so far:

    - Feet coming off
    - Latch breaking
    - Screen warped
    - Off balance (battery not flush with case)
    - Screen ripple on left corner (as if to much pressure on LCD)

    Cheers,
    Rick

    Rick Blythin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X Mail or Entourage ?

    In article <4YS%a.2173$Ki3.264090news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    > it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    > newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    > Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    > business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.
    >
    > Any opinions would be great.
    I am using Apple Mail and testing Entourage. Apple Mail does not have
    newsreading capabilities as opposed to Entourage. You have to buy MS
    Entourage or Office vs. the included Apple Mail in PB. As far as Apple
    Mail speed is concerned, it's pretty quick. I'm happy with it.

    > Also I've put together a list of the most common issues that I'll take along
    > when I go buy my PB I plan to thoroughly examine the unit. If anyone has any
    > other issues they've had let me know & I'll add it. My list so far:
    >
    > - Feet coming off
    > - Latch breaking
    > - Screen warped
    > - Off balance (battery not flush with case)
    > - Screen ripple on left corner (as if to much pressure on LCD)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rick

    If you're thinking about PB 12", you will encounter the "heat on the
    left wristpad issue." As far as my PB is concerned, the feet are snug
    unlike my iBook 12" combo. Your concerns were doented subjectively.
    Generally, the PB's are well built. When you get one, you have 10 days
    to probe and examine before returns (stocking fee required). I have mine
    one month old and with updates next week rumored, my baby will stay with
    me. I did not purchase Applecare though I have the opportunity to get
    one still.
    Jeffrey Guest

  3. #3

    "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    news:pan.2003.08.17.22.51.28.575090ix.netcom.com. ..
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:02:23 -0400, Rick Blythin wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I'll bite. I've just switched to the Mac (PB G4 17) from the PC (P4 XP)
    > (well, I actually now use both), and I had the same decision to make. I
    > bought Office for the Mac, thinking I'd tie Entourage into our Exchange
    > server at work with the new support just brought out by Microsoft.
    >
    > I will still use the Office apps, but now don't plan to use Entourage. I
    > *hated* the newsgroup reader (and all native newsreaders I found for the
    > Mac), and wound up installing X11 (Apple's XWindows software) and using an
    > XWindows newsreader called Pan - just wonderful.
    >
    > Another reason I didn't use Entourage was the poor integration with
    > Exchange. Requires Exchange 2000 (we use 5.5) and the web-based Exchange
    > stuff (we don't use that, either), and there appear to be growing
    > complaints about the usability of Entourage with Exchange.
    >
    > OTOH, I really like Apple's Mail.app and the X-based Pan newsreader (it's
    > so much better than OE on the PC as a newsreader - I had no idea...). To
    > get my email from Exchange, I just set up some server-based rules to
    > forward to my .Mac account. Kind of clunky, but it works.
    Thanks for your thoughts on the mail client. I was leaning toward Mail
    anyway as I figure Entourage would be more of a resource hog and I won't use
    most of the features. I'll check out Pan as a newsreader. Like you I use
    Word, Excel, Powerpoint for Access I'll still have my Athlon 2200 w/XP. I'm
    surprised that Entourage and Exchange have issues as I assume Entourage is
    based on Outlook you'd have thought they would all intergrate. Then again
    after almost 15 years of supporting PC/networks I usually assume headaches
    with MS products. If I get lucky it makes a nice change!.

    > I have a G4 17", not a 12", but I am missing one of the rubber feet off of
    > my PB. The rubber piece sort of "ripped" off partially, and eventually
    > fell completely off. Doesn't seem to make any difference to how the
    > machine sets, and it doesn't wobble or anything, even with the rubber
    > piece missing. Don't know if there's a way to replace it. Haven't seen
    > any of the other issues on my PG.
    After such a wide spread issue with the feet you'd have thought Apple would
    come up with something more secure. Maybe they will on the next models!.

    Cheers,
    Rick

    Rick Blythin Guest

  4. #4

    Jeffrey wrote:
    >I am using Apple Mail and testing Entourage. Apple Mail does not have
    >newsreading capabilities as opposed to Entourage.
    Hunh. A mail client that doesn't read Usenet. Ain't that just the
    gol-durnedest thing?

    Jim, "do one thing only but do it well"
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Hill Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:51:29 -0500
    "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:02:23 -0400, Rick Blythin wrote:
    >

    > *hated* the newsgroup reader (and all native newsreaders I found for
    > the Mac), and wound up installing X11 (Apple's XWindows software) and
    > using an XWindows newsreader called Pan - just wonderful.
    Wait till you try Sylpheed (mail and news) :)

    Luigi
    Luigi Guest

  6. #6

    In article <4YS%a.2173$Ki3.264090news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    > it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    > newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    > Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    > business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.

    I tried both Mail and Entourage and ended up with Eudora (6.Ob.26).
    Eudora is for mail only; I use MT-Newswatcher for Usenet.
    Irene Friedman Guest

  7. #7

    In article <iesf-BDDCE9.19232917082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    Irene Friedman <iesfexcite.com> wrote:
    > In article <4YS%a.2173$Ki3.264090news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    > > it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    > > newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    > > Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    > > business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.
    >

    > I tried both Mail and Entourage and ended up with Eudora (6.Ob.26).
    > Eudora is for mail only; I use MT-Newswatcher for Usenet.
    Why not start with Mail and see if it meets your needs, if not go to
    Entourage. I have both but use Mail because it does everything I need
    it to do, and in particular works well as an IMAP client. (I found
    Eudora to be significantly slower when working via IMAP).

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  8. #8

    In article <oe7611-jqt1.ln1pursued-with.net>,
    Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    > Why not start with Mail and see if it meets your needs, if not go to
    > Entourage. I have both but use Mail because it does everything I need
    > it to do, and in particular works well as an IMAP client. (I found
    > Eudora to be significantly slower when working via IMAP).
    Or try Mailsmith. It's got wonderful filtering capabilities!

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest

  9. #9

    In article <x3U%a.2273$Ki3.293888news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:

    <snip>
    > I'm
    > surprised that Entourage and Exchange have issues as I assume Entourage is
    > based on Outlook you'd have thought they would all intergrate. Then again
    > after almost 15 years of supporting PC/networks I usually assume headaches
    > with MS products. If I get lucky it makes a nice change!.

    Boy Howdy! MS has had over a year to get their act together with
    Entourage and give their paying customers an OSX native client for
    working _with their own_ exchange server environment. After waiting all
    this time for the upgrade, they couldn't even get their own MAPI
    protocols working, instead using IMAP.

    Anyone out their looking to purchase Entourage to use with an Exchange
    server is going to be mighty disappointed.

    Pathetic.

    Stolen sig: If Bill Gates had a penny for every time Windows crashes...
    Oh wait. He does.
    Jim Carson Guest

  10. #10

    This is an interesting question for me. I recently bought a 12"
    Powerbook, and I installed Entourage. Why? Because I have Office X.

    I use it for email and for appointments; newsreading is done with
    MT-Newswatcher.

    However, it seems that many 3rd party apps (i.e., spam reporting
    scripts, etc.) seem to be set for Mail.*

    Is there any reason NOT to switch to Mail and iCal?

    * why didn't Apple do their usual schtick and call it iMail?

    please mail OT responses only
    Scott Guest

  11. #11

    > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    ALL of the Office X suite is bloatware that doesn't play well with
    multitasking. Mail is a much more svelte app. If you don't plan to use
    Entourage's "features", then use Mail. (Personally I use Palm Desktop
    for my appointment/contact management, which is really just a backup
    for my Treo 90's contents - I rarely/never enter or view data on the
    computer except when cutting/pasting long text into memos).

    Office X - particularly Word - is the first suite of programs I've
    found that causes glitchiness in CPU-demanding foreground tasks.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  12. #12

    In article
    <heimdall-736C92.14580818082003news4-ge1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    Scott <heimdallspamless.invalid> wrote:
    > This is an interesting question for me. I recently bought a 12"
    > Powerbook, and I installed Entourage. Why? Because I have Office X.
    >
    > I use it for email and for appointments; newsreading is done with
    > MT-Newswatcher.
    >
    > However, it seems that many 3rd party apps (i.e., spam reporting
    > scripts, etc.) seem to be set for Mail.*
    >
    > Is there any reason NOT to switch to Mail and iCal?
    >

    > * why didn't Apple do their usual schtick and call it iMail?
    I have two reasons for using Entourage over Mail. First, I find that
    Mail isn't very slick handling HTML mail - it doesn't render the HTML
    very well, and it seems slow. From what I have read, this problem is
    fixed in Panther, as Mail will use the rendering engine used by Safari.

    The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and
    Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)"
    format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs,
    but to Windows users looks like two attachments.

    Bob B.
    Bob B. Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bobb-9AE397.15583818082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    "Bob B." <bobbsphinx.com> wrote:
    > I have two reasons for using Entourage over Mail. First, I find that
    > Mail isn't very slick handling HTML mail - it doesn't render the HTML
    > very well, and it seems slow. From what I have read, this problem is
    > fixed in Panther, as Mail will use the rendering engine used by Safari.
    I have HTML mail rendering turned off in Entourage. 99 times out of 100,
    if I get HTML encoded mail, it's spam. I'm still in the camp that
    believes that HTML belongs on web pages, not in email.

    > The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and
    > Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)"
    > format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs,
    > but to Windows users looks like two attachments.
    Interesting point. How does Hotmail support Apple Double? Probably the
    only PC user I send photo attachments to checks that account via the
    Hotmail web site.

    I've been playing with Mail. Two things:
    I have a BUNCH of email accounts. Mail was able to import my messages,
    but none of my account settings (except for .Mac). Can it handle
    multiple accounts easily? The interface looks rather clumsy.

  14. #14

    In article <4YS%a.2173$Ki3.264090news20.bellglobal.com>, Rick Blythin
    <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:

    I have been using a 12" since Feb and use Entourage as my default.
    > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    > it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    > newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    > Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    > business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.
    I'd suggest that you try Mail as it's free. I liked Mail for the fact
    that it's UNIX standards compliant in terms of file storage (to my
    understanding). However, I wasn't comfortable with the interface for
    the numerous emails accounts and the categories I needed. So I
    switched. I noted also that Entourage received significant contribution
    from ex-Claris Emailer authors. I don't use Entourage's newsreader
    facility as I don't need an offline newsreader nor it's extra wasted
    bandwidth. But I do use it's Hotmail facility as my default spam trap.
    As for spam filter is concerned, there's this shareware "SpamSieve"
    which works well with Entourage. I believe it's similar if not more
    functional than Apple's spam implementation.
    > Also I've put together a list of the most common issues that I'll take along
    > when I go buy my PB I plan to thoroughly examine the unit. If anyone has any
    > other issues they've had let me know & I'll add it. My list so far:
    >
    > - Feet coming off
    > - Latch breaking
    > - Screen warped
    > - Off balance (battery not flush with case)
    > - Screen ripple on left corner (as if to much pressure on LCD)
    My feet fell off. So I bought some clear rubber (silicon) stick-on
    feet. These worked nicely as they elevated the base further and gave
    the base more bounce. The latch is a tad sticky occasionally but if
    handled with care, it should not break. I have no other problems over
    the last 6 months.
    Whytoi Guest

  15. #15

    Just had a thought that really answers the question for me: Entourage
    can check Hotmail accounts; Mail cannot.

  16. #16

    In article
    <heimdall-6F91E9.09491519082003news4-ge1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    Scott <heimdallspamless.invalid> wrote:
    > Just had a thought that really answers the question for me: Entourage
    > can check Hotmail accounts; Mail cannot.
    Yes it can. Go to [url]http://www.versiontracker.com[/url] and search for the Mail Hotmail plug in. Last I looked, it worked very
    well.

    Meow
    Cat Guest

  17. #17

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Bob B. wrote:
    > The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and
    > Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)"
    > format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs,
    > but to Windows users looks like two attachments.
    >
    > Bob B.
    I wanted to check this before I responded; because while I hadn't noticed
    any problems I wasn't sure I'd emailed photos before.

    I sent an email with jpeg image from Mail to my corporate account, and
    opened it with Outlook (2000, SR-1). The picture showed up as a single
    attachment, and opened/saved to disk just like any other.

    I'd be interested to know if you have details of which Windows email
    program people were seeing problems with?

    KeS
    Kevin_Stevens@hotmail.com Guest

  18. #18

    In article <20030819122132.Y75167babelfish.pursued-with.net>,
    [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Bob B. wrote:
    >
    > > The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and
    > > Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)"
    > > format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs,
    > > but to Windows users looks like two attachments.
    > >
    > > Bob B.
    >
    > I wanted to check this before I responded; because while I hadn't noticed
    > any problems I wasn't sure I'd emailed photos before.
    >
    > I sent an email with jpeg image from Mail to my corporate account, and
    > opened it with Outlook (2000, SR-1). The picture showed up as a single
    > attachment, and opened/saved to disk just like any other.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if you have details of which Windows email
    > program people were seeing problems with?
    >
    > KeS
    OK, I just tried this to make sure I wasn't misremembering..

    I sent an email to myself by dragging a jpeg image into Mail and sending
    it. I opened the message on a PC using Outlook Express, and it shows I
    have two attachments. The second, larger attachment is the photo I was
    trying to send. The first, smaller attachment shows a detail from the
    photo. I would have thought the first attachment would be the resource
    fork, and just show garbage..

    Also, using my Yahoo mail account from Safari (so no PC is involved) it
    also shows me two attachments, the first of which appears to be empty.

    Maybe there is some setting in OE or Yahoo I could set to fix this, but
    a quick glance at their settings didn't reveal what it might be.

    Bob B.
    Bob B. Guest

  19. #19

    In article <bobb-392F24.15002919082003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    "Bob B." <bobbsphinx.com> wrote:
    > In article <20030819122132.Y75167babelfish.pursued-with.net>,
    > [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Bob B. wrote:
    > >
    > > > The second problem is that I have a lot of friends with PCs, and
    > > > Entrourage allows you to send photo attachments in "Windows (MIME)"
    > > > format, while Mail only supports "Apple Double", which is fine for Macs,
    > > > but to Windows users looks like two attachments.
    > > >
    > > > Bob B.
    > >
    > > I wanted to check this before I responded; because while I hadn't noticed
    > > any problems I wasn't sure I'd emailed photos before.
    > >
    > > I sent an email with jpeg image from Mail to my corporate account, and
    > > opened it with Outlook (2000, SR-1). The picture showed up as a single
    > > attachment, and opened/saved to disk just like any other.
    > >
    > > I'd be interested to know if you have details of which Windows email
    > > program people were seeing problems with?
    > >
    > > KeS
    >
    > OK, I just tried this to make sure I wasn't misremembering..
    >
    > I sent an email to myself by dragging a jpeg image into Mail and sending
    > it. I opened the message on a PC using Outlook Express, and it shows I
    > have two attachments. The second, larger attachment is the photo I was
    > trying to send. The first, smaller attachment shows a detail from the
    > photo. I would have thought the first attachment would be the resource
    > fork, and just show garbage..
    >
    > Also, using my Yahoo mail account from Safari (so no PC is involved) it
    > also shows me two attachments, the first of which appears to be empty.
    >
    > Maybe there is some setting in OE or Yahoo I could set to fix this, but
    > a quick glance at their settings didn't reveal what it might be.
    >

    > Bob B.
    Don't know what to tell you. I just did the same thing, and sent the
    message to Hotmail and Yahoo accounts. One attachment, handled
    perfectly. I also viewed the sent message from Outlook Express, and it
    looked the same...

    I'll send the email to you directly; it's not large. See what you think.

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  20. #20

    Rick,
    Re: Overall 'mechanical' concerns regarding protecting your 12PB can
    be put to rest with a CompuShell case. Apparently the 12" (with port
    accessibility on the sides) is coming out in about a month. [I've
    ordered one, but it's back-ordered...] I'd seen a 15" case and they
    are VERY cool (and, mainly, keep the PB totally protected)! See it at:
    [url]http://www.compushell.com[/url]
    Terry

    "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<4YS%a.2173$Ki3.264090news20.bellglobal.com> ...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'll be buying my 12 PB next weekend I'm debating which e-mail client to use
    > Mail or Entourage. Current I use Outlook Express on my PC's because I find
    > it's slightly quicker in general the Outlook, plus Outlook lacks a built in
    > newsgroup reader. As for OS X I have heard benefits to both Mail and
    > Entourage both have features the other lacks. I'll mainly use it for
    > business e-mail because I use my Palm for calendar, lists, memo's etc.
    >
    > Any opinions would be great.
    >
    > Also I've put together a list of the most common issues that I'll take along
    > when I go buy my PB I plan to thoroughly examine the unit. If anyone has any
    > other issues they've had let me know & I'll add it. My list so far:
    >
    > - Feet coming off
    > - Latch breaking
    > - Screen warped
    > - Off balance (battery not flush with case)
    > - Screen ripple on left corner (as if to much pressure on LCD)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rick
    Terry Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast