Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X: Multiple Macs, single login? - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, I have two macs in my house, each is on the LAN and running OS X 10.2.6. I'd like to be able to log in to either one with the same username/password, and have my home directory be the same. It looks like this is possible with NIS, but from what I can tell, OS X only comes with a NIS client, not a server. Is there a way to set up my Macs and my network to accomplish what I want?...

  1. #1

    Default OS X: Multiple Macs, single login?

    Hello,

    I have two macs in my house, each is on the LAN and running OS X 10.2.6.
    I'd like to be able to log in to either one with the same
    username/password, and have my home directory be the same. It looks
    like this is possible with NIS, but from what I can tell, OS X only
    comes with a NIS client, not a server.

    Is there a way to set up my Macs and my network to accomplish what I
    want?
    Rudolf Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X: Multiple Macs, single login?

    In article <rthered-A392C9.17350103072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Rudolf <rtheredbigfoot.com> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I have two macs in my house, each is on the LAN and running OS X 10.2.6.
    >I'd like to be able to log in to either one with the same
    >username/password, and have my home directory be the same. It looks
    >like this is possible with NIS, but from what I can tell, OS X only
    >comes with a NIS client, not a server.
    >
    >Is there a way to set up my Macs and my network to accomplish what I
    >want?
    It can probably be done using NetInfo Manager. Make the user IDs the
    same and change the home directory to a shared volume. There's a way to
    share NetInfo's data but good luck finding instructions.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  3. #3

    Peter KERR <userhost.domain> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    > Rudolf <rtheredbigfoot.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > I have two macs in my house, each is on the LAN and running OS X 10.2.6.
    > > I'd like to be able to log in to either one with the same
    > > username/password, and have my home directory be the same. It looks
    > > like this is possible with NIS, but from what I can tell, OS X only
    > > comes with a NIS client, not a server.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to set up my Macs and my network to accomplish what I
    > > want?
    >
    > Short answer yes, but the real answer isn't short. It involves setting
    > up one of the Macs as a NetInfo domain server. There was a long and
    > detailed thread on this about a year ago on the macosx-server discussion
    > board at apple.com, I didn't archive details :-(
    >
    > If you're clever and competent there was a 48pp .pdf available from
    > apple Understanding and Using Netinfo. I think this may have been
    > subsumed into the 10.2 version of the OS-X Server Adnminstrator's Guide.
    [url]http://a32.g.akamai.net/7/32/51/12b406e03e7c14/www.apple.com/[/url]
    server/pdfs/UnderstandingUsingNetInfo.pdf

    It's a good paper, but if you don't have the server tools, some of
    the practical instructions must be translated to equivalent actions
    using NetInfo Manager and shell commands.
    > Most of what is needed can be done via /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo
    > Manager, some of it requires command line tinkering.
    In particular you will need the nidomain command to create the requisite
    domain(s). You will also have to configure the dependent machine to
    access the remote directory (/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access).

    As Larry Wall once said, have the appropriate amount of fun...

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  4. #4

    In article <nsqPa.20587$aD6.10088nwrddc03.gnilink.net>,
    Put 030516 in email subj to get thru <PublicMailboxbenslade.com> wrote:

    >Just a point of clarification/rant here. A Netinfo "domain" has
    >nothing to do with an Internet "domain", and a Netinfo "directory" has
    >nothing to do with a filesystem directory.
    >
    >I think a Netinfo "domain" means an area of administrative control,
    Yes. Which is what 'domain' means.
    > and a Netinfo "directory" mean an authentication/login database.
    No. a Netinfo directory is a directory within a Netinfo database,
    much like a filesystem directory is a directory within a filesystem.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  5. #5

    In article <nsqPa.20587$aD6.10088nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, Put 030516 in email subj to get thru <PublicMailboxbenslade.com> wrote:
    > Anno Siegel wrote:
    >
    > > In particular you will need the nidomain command to create the requisite
    > > domain(s). You will also have to configure the dependent machine to
    > > access the remote directory (/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access).
    >
    > Just a point of clarification/rant here. A Netinfo "domain" has
    > nothing to do with an Internet "domain", and a Netinfo "directory" has
    > nothing to do with a filesystem directory.
    >
    > I think a Netinfo "domain" means an area of administrative control, and
    > a Netinfo "directory" mean an authentication/login database.
    >
    > Seems like bad design to resue really common terms for other functions.
    Would you really prefer "snarfle" and "froonit"? :-)

    Overloading of common terms with new meanings is common in computing.
    Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Every synonym for "catalog",
    "directory", or "index" in your thesaurus is probably used in multiple
    conflicting contexts.

    Humans seem to be able to deal with this sort of ambiguiuty in general -
    take a look at the definition of "set" in an unabridged (or any)
    dictionary... :-)

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  6. #6

    Jim Glidewell <jimglidewellattbi.com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    > In article <nsqPa.20587$aD6.10088nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, Put 030516 in
    > email subj to get thru <PublicMailboxbenslade.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Anno Siegel wrote:
    > >
    > > > In particular you will need the nidomain command to create the requisite
    > > > domain(s). You will also have to configure the dependent machine to
    > > > access the remote directory (/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access).
    > >
    > > Just a point of clarification/rant here. A Netinfo "domain" has
    > > nothing to do with an Internet "domain", and a Netinfo "directory" has
    > > nothing to do with a filesystem directory.
    > >
    > > I think a Netinfo "domain" means an area of administrative control, and
    > > a Netinfo "directory" mean an authentication/login database.
    > >
    > > Seems like bad design to resue really common terms for other functions.
    >
    > Would you really prefer "snarfle" and "froonit"? :-)
    >
    > Overloading of common terms with new meanings is common in computing.
    > Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Every synonym for "catalog",
    > "directory", or "index" in your thesaurus is probably used in multiple
    > conflicting contexts.
    ....and each might have been used instead of "directory" in NetInfo
    terminology. I think the use of "directory" is fine for a collection
    of name-value pairs, and other directories. The ogy with the more
    familiar directories in file systems works well, with files corresponding
    to name-value pairs and directories to, well, directories.

    A less likeable feature of NetInfo directories is the unnecessary exposure
    of directory numbers. That's an implementation detail the user shouldn't
    be bothered with, nor with the particulars of the naming mechanism.
    > Humans seem to be able to deal with this sort of ambiguiuty in general -
    > take a look at the definition of "set" in an unabridged (or any)
    > dictionary... :-)
    Yes, but NetInfo's terminology really puts the ability to disambiguate to
    the test, featuring directories that aren't part of a file system, bindings
    that have nothing to do with variables, servers that aren't machines but
    are processes, and domains that aren't Internet domains. In NetInfo's
    predecessors, yp, NIS and (shudder) NIS+, the terminology was similar, so
    it isn't NetInfo's fault.

    NetInfo, however, compounds the issue by using at least the Term
    "domain" inconsistently. "Domain" used to mean, and in much of the
    NetInfo doentation (as there is) appears to mean, the (tree-shaped)
    cluster of NetInfo servers formed through binding. In other places it
    is used as if a "domain" were a particular NetInfo data base. In the
    former sense of the word, such data bases form the content of each
    node in the domain, but definitely aren't domains themselves.

    One example of the latter usage is NetInfo Manager itself, where, under
    the menu "Domain" you get to select one such data base, whichever way you
    use it. (Well, except if you use it for printing, which is also done
    under "Domain".)

    In another place, under "Management", you get to "Restart Local NetInfo
    Domains". If this had to be booked as inconsistent usage it would
    take the cake. It could also be a plain mistake -- reading "Demons"
    for "Domains" makes sense and describes what it does. In any case, it
    doesn't make things easy for someone who is perhaps still wondering if
    these are Internet domains.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest