Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Newsreader? - Mac Applications & Software

In <200120031708445126%nospam.invalid> Keeper of the Purple Twilight wrote: > In article <BA51DCB7.997A%m.andrewssnet.net>, Mark > <m.andrewssnet.net> wrote: > >> Does anyone have a favorite that seems to just work? > > [url]http://www.thothsw.com/thoth[/url] > Try Halime [url]http://halime.imdat.de/[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Re: OS X Newsreader?

    wrote:
    > In article <BA51DCB7.997A%m.andrewssnet.net>, Mark
    > <m.andrewssnet.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have a favorite that seems to just work?
    >
    > [url]http://www.thothsw.com/thoth[/url]

    Try Halime
    [url]http://halime.imdat.de/[/url]
    Sybex Guest

  2. #2

    Sybex wrote:
    > In <200120031708445126%nospam.invalid> Keeper of the Purple Twilight
    > wrote:
    >> In article <BA51DCB7.997A%m.andrewssnet.net>, Mark
    >> <m.andrewssnet.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have a favorite that seems to just work?
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.thothsw.com/thoth[/url]
    >>
    > Try Halime
    > [url]http://halime.imdat.de/[/url]
    I tried these (and all others that were available) and was not impressed. I
    then found two that are really great. They're not Aqua apps, but they're
    worth it: KNode (my first choice) and PAN (2nd). They require X11
    (available from Apple) and can then be downloaded and installed using Fink.
    It might be difficult to set up if you do this for the first time. If you
    need a simple walkthrough, just mail me. These newsreaders are excellent,
    full-featured and mature.

    tom
    Thomas Beck Guest

  3. #3

    Thomas Beck <mailtombeck.com> writes:
    >Sybex wrote:
    >
    >> In <200120031708445126%nospam.invalid> Keeper of the Purple Twilight
    >> wrote:

    >>> [url]http://www.thothsw.com/thoth[/url]
    >>>
    >> Try Halime
    >> [url]http://halime.imdat.de/[/url]
    >
    >I tried these (and all others that were available) and was not impressed. I
    >then found two that are really great. They're not Aqua apps, but they're
    >worth it: KNode (my first choice) and PAN (2nd). They require X11
    >(available from Apple) and can then be downloaded and installed using Fink.
    >It might be difficult to set up if you do this for the first time. If you
    >need a simple walkthrough, just mail me. These newsreaders are excellent,
    >full-featured and mature.
    You could always download and build nn, if you want a terminal-based
    newsreader. I've used nn almost exclusively for years. Haven't found
    a graphical newsreader that can beat it. Elegant, fast, threaded, all
    kinds of cool options.

    -Stephen
    Stephen M. Adams Guest

  4. #4

    On 27 Jun 2003 21:17:23 GMT, Stephen M Adams <adamstdirecway.com> wrote:
    > You could always download and build nn, if you want a terminal-based
    > newsreader. I've used nn almost exclusively for years. Haven't found
    > a graphical newsreader that can beat it. Elegant, fast, threaded, all
    > kinds of cool options.
    Never tried nn. Not sure I've heard of it, for that matter. Trn, tin,
    rn, and my current favorite, slrn, yes. I'll have to try it out. It's
    almost boring having things work day in, day out. Oh, the tedium of
    *nix. Almost makes me want to go back to M$. NOT!

    nuk

    Ok, as penance for mentioning you-know-who, I'll go take another swing
    at configuring gnus... ugh!

    --
    I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
    and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

  5. #5

    In article <WGadnX-D_-ZhUGCjXTWJgQgbronline.com>,
    Wesley Groleau <wesgroleaudespammed.com> wrote:
    > M-M wrote:
    > >>Does anyone have a favorite that seems to just work?
    >
    > In spite of bugs, I prefer Mozilla out of all the
    > Aqua readers. Many of the others are better in many ways,
    > and yet had just one detail I could not tolerate.
    >
    > Which once again illustrates the importance of YMMV.
    I use MT-NewsWatcher with very few complaints. Very happy with it.
    sam grey Guest

  6. #6

    M-M wrote:
    > In article <i2mLa.45886$3d.23680sccrnsc02>,
    > sam grey <sgreyinvalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I use MT-NewsWatcher with very few complaints. Very happy with it.
    >
    > Finally the correct answer!
    >
    > Are we the only 2 in the world that sees the light?
    You know, maybe I'll try it again. I can't remember what
    that feature was, only that I hated it.

    Like I said, YMMV.

    Wesley Groleau Guest

  7. #7

    In article <E8WdnTcGM_cdo2OjU-KYvAgbronline.com>,
    Wesley Groleau <wesgroleaudespammed.com> wrote:
    > You know, maybe I'll try it again. I can't remember what
    > that feature was, only that I hated it.
    >
    > Like I said, YMMV.
    well, if you try it again and remember what it was that you hated, post
    back about it, 'cause I'm interested in knowing.
    sam grey Guest

  8. #8

    In article <cNoLa.2582$x35.1552447newshog.newsread.com>,
    M-M <nospamny.more> wrote:
    >In article <i2mLa.45886$3d.23680sccrnsc02>,
    > sam grey <sgreyinvalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I use MT-NewsWatcher with very few complaints. Very happy with it.
    >
    >Finally the correct answer!
    >
    >Are we the only 2 in the world that sees the light?
    >
    >m-m
    It's a nice newsreader but it has had the same old bugs forever. It's
    tiresome. It crashes if there's an MPEG in a posting, using multiple
    news servers corrupts its caches, a refused connection turns off XOVER,
    it doesn't remember window positions reliably, URLs corrupt text
    editing, there are constant decoding errors, GUI interaction halts all
    threads, having lots of active threads leads to random crashes, and each
    thread s down an enormous amount of CPU time.

    I offered to help fix its threading bugs but Simon said he wasn't ready
    to make the source code available.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  9. #9

    I've just installed Pan (which I use on my linux lappy) and it works
    better than any OSX/OS9 newsreader that I've tried (and I've tried a lot)
    Glo8al Guest

  10. #10

    In article <2CtLa.2595$x35.1559565newshog.newsread.com>,
    M-M <nospamny.more> wrote:
    >Referring to MT-Newswatcher:
    > Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrisonic.net> wrote:
    >
    >> It's a nice newsreader but it has had the same old bugs forever. It's
    >> tiresome. It crashes if there's an MPEG in a posting, using multiple
    >> news servers corrupts its caches, a refused connection turns off XOVER,
    >> it doesn't remember window positions reliably, URLs corrupt text
    >> editing, there are constant decoding errors, GUI interaction halts all
    >> threads, having lots of active threads leads to random crashes, and each
    >> thread s down an enormous amount of CPU time.
    >>
    >> I offered to help fix its threading bugs but Simon said he wasn't ready
    >> to make the source code available.
    >
    >I never had any of that. MT-NW has never crashed for me in OSX (not that
    >I can remember, anyhow). Haven't seen any corruption or any negative
    >behavior. Iım just happy to see a multi-threaded GUI newsreader, period.
    >I usually have 2 news servers active, sometimes 3 and can open articles
    >in all at the same time. The GUI is wonderful, not frame-based like
    >browser newsreaders, and the window positions are always remembered.
    >
    >And didn't John Nordstrom make the source code freely available? That's
    >where YA and MT came from.
    >
    >m-m
    I do agree that the GUI is nice. Command-Option-M and Command-Option-U
    are annoying as hell but that's Apple's fault. Apple shouldn't have
    reserved something as common as Command-M.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  11. #11

    > >>[url]http://www.thothsw.com/thoth[/url]
    > >>

    > > Try Halime
    > > [url]http://halime.imdat.de/[/url]
    > I like Mozilla.
    [gr] I use MT-NewsWatcher (Freeware) and it's works nicely for me.
    You can get it at

    [url]http://www.versiontracker.com[/url]
    GR Gaudreau Guest

  12. #12

    In article <transop-A2BE7F.10371601072003news21.bellnet.ca>,
    GR Gaudreau <transopsympatico.not> wrote:
    > [gr] I use MT-NewsWatcher (Freeware) and it's works nicely for me.
    > You can get it at
    >
    > [url]http://www.versiontracker.com[/url]

    My preference, also.

    --
    to email *off-topic* responses, change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
    Scott Guest