Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X Newsreader : An idea - Mac Networking

Hi, this is my first post, so aplogies if this has been mentioned before... I use Hogwasher, and although I think it is quite good and not bloated, it does have limitations for me, as a user of binary groups. I have tried some others, including Unison, which I really liked, but I am still searching for an app that matches or even comes close to the likes of which you can see on the Windows platform, eg. Newsbin, News Rover, NewsPro, even XNews or Grabit! So, why don't Apple bring out a newsreader... or add it as a component ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X Newsreader : An idea

    Hi, this is my first post, so aplogies if this has been mentioned before...

    I use Hogwasher, and although I think it is quite good and not bloated, it
    does have limitations for me, as a user of binary groups. I have tried some
    others, including Unison, which I really liked, but I am still searching for
    an app that matches or even comes close to the likes of which you can see on
    the Windows platform, eg. Newsbin, News Rover, NewsPro, even XNews or Grabit!

    So, why don't Apple bring out a newsreader... or add it as a component to
    Mail. "iNews"...??? they have done great work with their "iApps" and for me,
    Mail does the job too.. so why not eh... anybody think its on their agenda,
    or do we have to rely on the likes of Panic, with Unison? Which is great, but
    slow and bersome for me.

    RA

    Cooler Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X Newsreader : An idea

    In article <news-feed.org>,
    Cooler <com> wrote:

    Just a guess, but so few of their users even know about usenet there's
    no "wow" factor in it. It'll be very very low on their radar, and to be
    honest there are other areas I'd rather see them aim their resources.

    djb

    --
    Was that last sig line lame or what?
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    "Cooler" <com> wrote in message

    I'm not keen on integrating mail and newsreaders, to be honest. I know many
    took this route (Outlook Express, Netscape/Mozilla and even their supposed
    split-out mail reader Thunderbird), but I prefer to keep them separate. One
    app, one purpose. Think Mail.app, iCal and Address book instead of Outlook's
    all-in-one approach.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    Cooler wrote:

    They can't afford to do that. The Usenet is already a vast,
    unregulated warez trading post. If Apple were to inform
    or enable its users in that regard, the consequences would
    be serious for both Apple and many of its collaboratory software
    companies. The only reason there are still so many active warez
    newsgroups is due to the paucity of users, hence the cost of
    shutting them down currently outweighs their impact on sales
    figures.
    George Guest

  5. #5

    Cooler <com> writes:

    I think you need to know that I _am_ using the newsreader that came with my
    Mac. Apple didn't write it, but it is bundled with a host of other programs
    included on your fixed disk.

    If you want your newsreader bundled with your email, you're very much in
    luck. This program handles both with aplomb.

    Your request has been answered. Have fun.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 8:14:56 -0400, Cooler wrote
    (in message <news-feed.org>):

    I think that if apple did write a newsreader, it would be a lot like Unison.
    I use Hogwasher currently since I don't use binary files, but Unison is the
    best I have seen for binary on Windows or Mac.

    J Guest

  7. #7

    In article <news-feed.org>, Cooler <com> wrote:

    Actually I'm using MT-NewsWatcher because it can display images "inline"
    and has yenc support. There exist other mac newsreader, e.g. MacSoup,
    Thunderbird or Opera.

    Why not? but as long as there exist good alternatives, Apple should not
    write a newsreader. Also, I hate integrated applications which combine
    webbrowser, mail and newsreader.

    Gruesse aus der Schweiz
    Salutations en provenance de Suisse
    Saluti dalla Svizzera
    Greetings from Switzerland
    Happl
    Hanspeter Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:45:03 -0700, Phil Stripling wrote:

    How many people are going to bother to master emacs just to read
    newsgroups? :-\

    Emily

    --
    "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
    Emily Jackson

    Emily Guest

  9. #9

    Emily Jackson <fm.munged> writes:

    One never masters emacs. And it is not just to read newsgroups. emacs is a
    way of life. :->

  10. #10

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    > One never masters emacs. And it is not just to read newsgroups. emacs is a
    > way of life. :->[/ref]

    Which is his point. The previous poster was advocating using GNUs,
    since it's a newsreader that comes with OS X as part of Emacs. But
    people aren't going to change their religion (from GUI to text-based)
    just to use that newsreader.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  11. #11

    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> writes:

    > > One never masters emacs. And it is not just to read newsgroups. emacs is a
    > > way of life. :->[/ref]
    >
    > Which is his point.[/ref]

    Uh, Emily, does Barry know something I don't? (Well, yes, of course he
    does know many things that I don't, but I mean, uh, you know.)

    No, that was me.

    The original poster wanted a good newsreader and was encouraging Apple to
    write one and bundle it with the Mac. A good one is already bundled with
    the Mac. I'm using it now. I encourage the original poster and others to
    give it a try. Although I also encourage learning emacs, one does not need
    to master emacs to master gnus. And emacs does email, too, so that's a
    bonus for the original poster who was considering urging Apple to have its
    newsreader work closely with Mail.

    Whether anyone chooses to use emacs is a personal decision, but I'd like to
    offer it to those who are not constrained to thinking in the box.

  12. #12

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    No, you don't have to "master" Emacs, but I don't think you can use GNUS
    effectively unless you are fairly comfortable with Emacs, since that's
    what you have to use to edit the posts you submit. I think most Mac
    users would be much more comfortable using an editor that's based on the
    familiar GUI editing that they're used to.

    GNUS is probably a fine newsreader for people who already know Emacs.
    But I wouldn't suggest it to someone who isn't already comfortable with
    text-based UI's in general, and at least somewhat familiar with Emacs in
    particular.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  13. #13

    Emily Jackson <fm.munged> writes:

    > How many people are going to bother to master emacs just to read
    > newsgroups?[/ref]

    Hmmm. I did. So that makes one, anyway. Although "mastering" Emacs
    isn't done in a week. ;-)
    Tim Guest

  14. #14

    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> writes:

    Umm. A minor quible- it's been Gnus not GNUS for quite some time now.

    While not the version bundled with OS X by default, one can readily
    build or otherwise obtain the current versions of Emacs (and therefore
    Gnus) for the Aqua interface or X11- both of them provide GUI support,
    mouse support, etc. So in this case you can to a great degree have
    one's cake and eat it too.

    I'm using Emacs 21.3.51 or something like that and Gnus 5.10.6, under
    Apple's X11. Works great.
    Tim Guest

  15. #15

    <com> wrote:

    Apple's last newsreader was a combined browser/mail/news/telnet client
    called "Cyberdog" -- it was nothing like Unison.

    --
    J.B. Moreno
    J.B. Guest

  16. #16

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:31:03 -0700, Phil Stripling wrote:

    > One never masters emacs. And it is not just to read newsgroups. emacs is
    > a way of life. :->[/ref]

    It just seemed to me that advocating emacs just to read newsgroups was
    akin to advocating learning advanced calculus just to balance a checkbook.
    Yes, it's already there and it can be used as a newsreader. However, I
    can't see many people saying to themselves "Oh, I don't need to bother
    downloading MT-NW/Unison/whatever to read the news because I've got
    emacs." So, really, it's a bit ingenuous to say that OS X comes with a
    newsreader; it doesn't "come with a newsreader" in the same sense that it
    comes with a web browser and an e-mail client.

    Emily (preferring Vim as far as complicated Unix text editors go)

  17. #17

    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> writes: [/ref]

    While I agree - emacs is _not_ for everyone, there are some
    additional benefits to getting used to emacs even for folks
    who'll never use it.

    Open up any standard Mac application (ie. Mail.app) and get
    into a text-editing situation (ie. compose a new message).

    Start typing. Now, if you're familiar with emacs, try some
    of the standard emacs editing keystrokes. In emacs-speak,
    one denotes the use of the control key with C-.

    Navigate: C-n, C-p go to next and previous lines
    C-b, C-f go backwards and forwards a character
    C-a, C-e go to beginning and end of a line
    C-t toggles the order of the two characters
    at the cursor (handy for certain common typos)

    There are probably others, but I use those all the time,
    both in emacs and in regular apps.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  18. #18

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:

    Up and down arrows.

    Left and right arrows.

    Command-left and command-right arrows.

    Move forward or backward one word: Option-left and right arrows.

    That is handy, and not in Mac OS, as are the others.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  19. #19

    Emily Jackson <fm.munged> writes:

    I think you mean disingenuous. Or maybe you meant it was ingenious of me to
    suggest it and to get people thinking outside the graphical box?

    I disagree, but that's what makes horse races. It's a perfectly good
    newsreader, a perfectly good text editor, and a perfectly good email
    program. Plus, emacs is a great way to mush around in your system files
    using dired and to do shell scripting, ftp, and more.

  20. #20

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:

    Wow, I had no idea these were there! I'm a 25-year Emacs veteran (20
    years ago I was the maintainer of Multics Emacs, the first Emacs clone
    to be written in Lisp). It's nice to know I can get back into some of
    my old habits.

    But what I *really* miss are all the commands for operating by words,
    sentences, paragraphs, and matching parentheses. Not to mention
    case-changing commands. It sure would be nice if someone would write a
    replacement for the standard TextEdit library that incorporated a fuller
    set of Emacs-style editing.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA