Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X's Safari and Mail - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have received a report that OS X's Safari and Mail will not be triggered a direct email to me by the code I have on the Challenge web site. Is anyone else using this set up having difficulties? -- Grant Welcome Page : http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Welcome.html...

  1. #1

    Default OS X's Safari and Mail

    --
    Grant

    Welcome Page : http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Welcome.html

    Grant Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X's Safari and Mail

    Hi, Grant. Yes, for me it works fine with IE but when I try with Safari it launches mail but doesn't create a blank mail doent, so it's kind of useless you know enough to look at the status bar to see the link and get the address that way.
    Barbara Guest

  3. #3

    I see the same thing as Barbara.

    Your code looked fine, Grant, so I double checked by Googling and found this:

    <http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/97/37/index3a.html?tw=authoring>

    Their link worked in Safari but yours didn't. Then I played around and did a little debugging. Apparently Safari is very strict and if you change your "Mailto:" to "mailto:" (just make the 'M' lowercase) it works fine.

    Who'd'a known? :-)
    Lou Guest

  4. #4

    I reported it to Apple's Safari team as a bug.
    Lou Guest

  5. #5

    Lou

    Thank you for finding the glitch. While it should work regardless of case I
    have change the code to make it more accessible to Safari users and will try
    to remember to do so while writing future code.

    Grant

    Grant Guest

  6. #6

    You're welcome, Grant. No problem.

    It's widely acknowledged that Safari 1.0 was released too early. It was released from beta in response to Microsoft's public announcement that it was discontinuing IE (Internet Explorer) development on the Mac.

    But that's OK, because Safari is way cooler than IE!
    Lou Guest

  7. #7

    Way to go Lou and Grant! Works like a charm now.

    Joe
    Joe Guest

  8. #8

    Huh. Sorry to rain on the parade, guys, but when I click "Challenge Consideration" I still get the same thing--mail.app pops up, but no blank message. Or am I clicking a different link than the one y'all are talking about.

    I notice that instead of "Mailto" or "mailto" the status bar now shows that link as "send email to…"
    Barbara Guest

  9. #9

    That's weird Barb. Both links (Challenge Entry & Challenge Consideration) work like they're supposed to for me. I also get the "send email to..." in the status bar. Hmmm....

    Joe
    Joe Guest

  10. #10

    No, they're fine for me in explorer, but not in safari. Hmm.
    Barbara Guest

  11. #11

    I am in Safari. If I click on either Challenge Entry or Challenge Consideration I get an email form addressed to Grant to send the image. I do not know nor recognize the status bar that is being referred to. Could one of you define? Please?

    Thanks

    Carl
    carl Guest

  12. #12

    Hi, Carl. The status bar is like the bottome bar of the IE window that showsthe url of a link if you hover your mouse over it, or how much more of a page there is to load while you are waiting. It's off by default in Safari. If you want it, go to View>Status Bar.

    Joe, do you think it could have something to do with my not having installed the java update?
    Barbara Guest

  13. #13

    Ah. It was a cache problem. Emptied it and all is fine now.
    Barbara Guest

  14. #14

    Yesterday when I sent my photo to Grant, I didnt realize until a couple hours later that it was returned as undeliverable. behind the .ca there was a / with the word ..start.. I removed the "start" then reforwarded it. That time it went through.
    member@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Barbara,

    That's pretty neat. I would have never found it.

    Carl
    carl_sutherland@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hi, Carl. It took me a while, too.