Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X "startup items" for individual user. - Mac Applications & Software

I know how to make StartupItems scripts to run at boot time, and I know how to make things that run when you open a terminal. But is there a way to auto run something every time a user logs in to Aqua? -- Wes Groleau ------ "The reason most women would rather have beauty than brains is they know that most men can see better than they can think." -- James Dobson...

  1. #1

    Default OS X "startup items" for individual user.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ------
    "The reason most women would rather have beauty than brains is
    they know that most men can see better than they can think."
    -- James Dobson

    Wes Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X "startup items" for individual user.

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Wes Groleau wrote:

    The Login Items system pref pane.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    > The Login Items system pref pane.[/ref]

    Duh! I've used it for that at least ten times.
    I _must_ be getting old!

    Thanks for the reality check. :-)

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

    Wes Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: OS X "startup items" for individual user (oops)

    >> The Login Items system pref pane.[/ref]
    >
    > Duh! I've used it for that at least ten times.
    > I _must_ be getting old![/ref]

    Oops, this item is a Bourne shell script.
    When I login, instead of the script running,
    TextEdit opens it for editing.

    How do I get it to run without having to open a terminal?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;

    Wes Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    Try putting it in a do script command in Applescript and save the
    Applescript as an application.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Try putting it in a do script command in Applescript and save the
    > Applescript as an application.
    >[/ref]
    Or possibly adding the .command extension to it.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  7. #7

    > Or possibly adding the .command extension to it.[/ref]

    Thanks, I'll try both

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

    An optimist says the glass is half full.

    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Guest

  8. #8

     [/ref]

    What's the syntax. It won't accept what I thought it
    was (nor any of the alternatives I guessed at)

    This actually works, although it does launch Terminal
    as well. That's better than nothing, but the ideal is
    having it be completely invisible.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Alive and Well

    Wes Guest

  9. #9

    In <com>
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    > This actually works, although it does launch Terminal
    > as well. That's better than nothing, but the ideal is
    > having it be completely invisible.[/ref]

    If this is for all users logging on to the Mac, then you should consider
    loginhooks. Try these URLs:

    http://www.bombich.com/mactips/loginhooks.html
    http://clctext.tlt.psu.edu/labs/mac/resources/authdoc/loginhook.aspx

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  10. #10

    Frederick Cheung wrote:

    >>This actually works, although it does launch Terminal
    >>as well. That's better than nothing, but the ideal is
    >>having it be completely invisible.[/ref]
    >
    > even with the "hide" checkbox ticked? Alternatively it would be trivial
    > to write an application that ran a hardcoded shell script.[/ref]

    Yes, the Terminal launches, a window appears and immediately
    vanishes, but terminal is still active, i.e., with a little
    triangle under it in the dock.

    If I click on Terminal, the window comes up with
    the command to run the script showing and no prompt
    after it (because the script is in a loop).

    If I logout, Terminal asks me if I really want to kill
    the window with a running process.

    "Hide" is checked. If unchecked, I am guessing the
    window would stay visible.

    As for the application, yes, I could do that in
    any of several languages. But I don't have disk
    space to install a compiler. And--please don't take
    offense--I would not run an executable offered me
    from someone I don't know.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ------

  11. #11

    Jennifer Mullen wrote:

    In this case, it's for one particular user, but I'll
    look at those--they may come in handy some day!

    --
    Wes Groleau
    When all you have is a perl, everything looks like a string.

    Wes Guest

  12. #12

    Jennifer Mullen wrote:

    Even though it's just for one user, the fact that
    the script gets user name as a parameter takes care of that!

    And this will be handy for telling the kids
    that they are going to lose files if they don't
    get rid of some of their megabytes of old
    dragonball Z pics :-)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

    Wes Guest

  13. #13

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Even though it's just for one user, the fact that
    > the script gets user name as a parameter takes care of that![/ref]

    In case anyone else wants to try such a thing, here an excerpt from my login
    hook:

    if [ -x /Users/$1/bin/Aqua.login ]; then
    chown $1 /Users/$1/bin/Aqua.login
    chmod u+s /Users/$1/bin/Aqua.login
    /Users/$1/bin/Aqua.login &
    sleep 1
    fi

    You must be careful about paths within Aqua.login
    and in anything that it calls, because even though the
    chmod ensures the EUID is $1 (the person logging in),
    the interpretation of ~ is still sysadmin

    I actually did have the login hook generate a report
    of disk usage and open it in TextEdit, but it didn't
    actually appear until about ten or fifteen seconds after
    the user's desktop was open. So I removed it.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Genealogical Lookups: http://groleau.freeshell.org/ref/lookups.html

    Wes Guest