Professional Web Applications Themes

OS/X - Unix - Newbie - Mac Applications & Software

I am new to MAC and UNIX. I have an application that I am trying to port over from Solaris. How to you get OS/X to run install.sh? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default OS/X - Unix - Newbie

    I am new to MAC and UNIX. I have an application that I am trying to port
    over from Solaris. How to you get OS/X to run install.sh?

    Thanks in advance.

    Schnauzers Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS/X - Unix - Newbie

    Would you be interested in earning some extra $$$ to port an app (or anyone
    else)? It is the user side of a CD search utility. It istalled Jigsaw and
    Lucene and then runs some javascript to search PDF's and other files for
    scientific research information. I have installes for Windows and Solaris,
    but I desperately need one for a MAC.

    If anyone is interested in helping to get this to work (for free or for
    $$$), please contact:

    Mitchell W. Sprinsky
    Director of Information Technology
    American Association for Cancer Research
    615 Chestnut Street, 17th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19106-4404
    Phone (215)440-9300 x166
    Fax (215)440-9313
    sprinsky(remove this)aacr.org

    "Anno Siegel" <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > Schnauzers <schnauzers(remove this)schnauzers.ws> wrote in
    comp.sys.mac.system:
    > > I am new to MAC and UNIX. I have an application that I am trying to
    port
    > > over from Solaris. How to you get OS/X to run install.sh?
    >
    > You open Terminal.app (from /Application/Utilities) and type
    > "sh /path/to/install.sh".
    >
    > However, that is likely to be just the beginning... If install.sh
    > does any compilations, you will have to have the developer package
    > installed.
    >
    > If any actual *porting* is involved (that is, if the installation doesn't
    > work out of the box), you'll need some experience with MacOS to make it
    > work.
    >
    > Anno

    Schnauzers Guest

  3. #3

    Schnauzers wrote:
    > I am new to MAC and UNIX. I have an application that I am trying to port
    > over from Solaris. How to you get OS/X to run install.sh?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    First, ignore Enough, sort of a little yappy dog barking at freight trains.

    Second, compiling on Darwin requires some effort at times- but there is
    plenty of help at sourceforge.net if you are interested in poking
    around. Plus the entire Darwin.org group can get X11 apps ported
    quickly. In fact, it may already have been ported if it is open source.

    Third, if you are going to continue in this direction, you should get
    the December Developers tools from Apple's site:
    [url]http://developer.apple.com/[/url]
    join up and download the tools and the updates. There are fora to help.

    Third and a half, if this is from Solaris, then it is prolly X11, so you
    might want to install either XDarwin, Apple's X11.app or both...
    If you are going to compile X11 apps on your machine then you will want
    the Apple X11 SDK. Apple's windowing system is completely different.

    Fourth, UNIX is a registered trademark and has little to do with Jaguar;
    MAC has to do with a unique Media Access Controller identifier, and
    while most of us have better things to argue about like...like...Rush
    Limbaugh- you open yourself to bandwidth consuming flames from little
    yappy dogs if you work outside the lingo.

    Macs are based on BSD Unix.

    Refs:
    [url]http://developer.apple.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/[/url]
    [url]http://www.xdarwin.org/[/url]
    [url]http://sourceforge.net/[/url]

    wheat Guest

  4. #4

    In article <p6ydnT0Ovc7a45yiRTvU2Qspeakeasy.net>,
    "Schnauzers" <schnauzers(remove this)schnauzers.ws> wrote:
    > Would you be interested in earning some extra $$$ to port an app (or anyone
    > else)? It is the user side of a CD search utility. It istalled Jigsaw and
    > Lucene and then runs some javascript to search PDF's and other files for
    > scientific research information. I have installes for Windows and Solaris,
    > but I desperately need one for a MAC.
    It's a Mac (short for Macintosh) and what you describe (find by content)
    can already be done by the Finder. It seems pointless to create an
    extra, convoluted package to do what you ask.
    Doc O'Leary Guest

  5. #5

    have you ever used 'find by content'?

    it is at best - primitive -
    but most often - useless.

    a query for a simple, single word - works reasonably well-
    assuming index(es) exist for the file(s). otherwise there can be a
    significant wait - depending on files size(s) and number.

    a compound query (OS9 - you can NOT even do compound queries in OSX)
    returns an 'or'ed result - that is every file that contains *any* word
    in the query - NOT what I would expect - rather than an 'and'ing of the
    compound query.

    *IF* this is an opportunity to bring a serious query by content service
    to the Mac - everyone - should be jumping on it.
    >Doc O'Leary wrote:
    > In article <p6ydnT0Ovc7a45yiRTvU2Qspeakeasy.net>,
    > "Schnauzers" <schnauzers(remove this)schnauzers.ws> wrote:
    >

    >>Would you be interested in earning some extra $$$ to port an app (or anyone
    >>else)? It is the user side of a CD search utility. It istalled Jigsaw and
    >>Lucene and then runs some javascript to search PDF's and other files for
    >>scientific research information. I have installes for Windows and Solaris,
    >>but I desperately need one for a MAC.
    >

    > It's a Mac (short for Macintosh) and what you describe (find by content)
    > can already be done by the Finder. It seems pointless to create an
    > extra, convoluted package to do what you ask.
    Fetch, Rover, Fetch Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3F022E50.6080807KaNine_University.edu>,
    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" <Fun_FurKaNine_University.edu> wrote:
    > have you ever used 'find by content'?
    Yes.
    > it is at best - primitive -
    > but most often - useless.
    it is at present - installed

    Unless you absolutely know it will not serve the OPs needs, why would
    you steer them away from what might be a reasonable solution to their
    dilema. To install all sorts of other stuff (a custom web server an
    javascript-power search engine!) just to search a CD-ROM is foolish
    unless there is absolutely no other way. Mac users don't want a hacked
    out system that got ported over from a lowest common denominator
    solution.
    Doc O'Leary Guest