In article
<ambassador-E6F969.18322320082003newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Richard Gaskin <ambassadorSPAMMENOTfourthworld.com> wrote:

:> In article <stevewjackson-8F21CD.17104920082003corp.supernews.com>,
:> "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote:
:>
:> > In article <ambassador-C342F9.13271720082003news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
:> > Richard Gaskin <ambassadorSPAMMENOTfourthworld.com> wrote:
:> >
:> > :> When attempting to connect to Win XP from OS X it seems I can
:> > :> only do so if I turn off ALL Win firewall options. Of course,
:> > :> that's never a smart thing to do on any platform, and certainly
:> > :> not with a Micro$oft OS.
:> > :>
:> > :> I've tried turning on specific protocols selectively in the Win
:> > :> XP firewall settings, but thus far none have worked.
:> > :>
:> > :> Is it really the case that OS X can connect to an XP box only
:> > :> if the XP box is critically exposed?
:> > :>
:> > :> If not, what's the magic?
:> > :>
:> > :> TIA -
:> > :>
:> > :> --
:> > :> Richard Gaskin
:> >
:> > Connect how? What protocol? There are only a handful of ways one would
:> > "usually" connect between the two, so you want to make sure that the
:> > appropriate ports are available. I think you're incorrectly assuming
:> > that OS X is the source of your trouble.
:>
:> No assumptins as yet. Just trying to figure this out.
:>
:> I connect from my Mac to my Windows box using the Finder (Go -> Connect
:> to Server). Is there an easier way?
:>
:> Any clue about the Windows firewall settings?
:>
:> --
:> Richard Gaskin

So far as I'm aware, connecting to an XP box that way uses the SMB
protocol. That's the usual protocol in the Windows world for file and
printer sharing. So long as the firewall on the XP box allows incoming
connections with that protocol on that port (137 or 139, I think it is),
and the OS X box is configured with the right workgroup, seems like it
should work just fine.

I'm not able to try it out here at home just now, but I had it working
with my XP laptop at one time, and the entry that I recall seeing in the
entry at the bottom something like "smb://ip-address/sharename".

HTH.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson