Professional Web Applications Themes

OS X <> WinXP Networking - Mac Networking

Background: I have a PowerBook G4 OS X.2 and a WinXP Desktop. The WinXP system has a Cable Modem and a Belkin Router. I have a wireless connection [computer to computer I believe] via Airport so that I can successfully use the Internet Cable on the Powerbook. Question: I would like to be able to share files between these two systems and use the Printer attached to my WinXP desktop. Is there a simple way to do this from the Powerbook System OR do I need to get Virtual PC for Mac [6.1] OR is there some other Software / ...

  1. #1

    Default OS X <> WinXP Networking

    Background:

    I have a PowerBook G4 OS X.2 and a WinXP Desktop. The WinXP system has a
    Cable Modem and a Belkin Router. I have a wireless connection [computer to
    computer I believe] via Airport so that I can successfully use the Internet
    Cable on the Powerbook.

    Question:

    I would like to be able to share files between these two systems and use the
    Printer attached to my WinXP desktop.

    Is there a simple way to do this from the Powerbook System
    OR do I need to get Virtual PC for Mac [6.1]
    OR is there some other Software / Hardware that I require?

    Thanks,

    Jim.

    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OS X <> WinXP Networking

    In article <7oAib.50627$nyroc.rr.com>,
    "Jim Crowell" <com> wrote:

    I'm currently working something similar. I have an iMac running 10.2.8
    and a Vaio laptop running Windows 2000 Professional, both connecting to
    the outside world through an Airport Extreme base station. The iMac and
    Vaio both have DHCP-assigned IP numbers on the same subnet. On the iMac,
    I have, via the Sharing settings panel, turned on File Sharing and
    Windows File Sharing. On the Firewall tab of Sharing, I clicked on New
    in order to activate SMB File Sharing. Assuming Shares are appropriately
    defined on the Windows machine, you should then have no trouble mounting
    Windows shares on the Mac. Going the other way is a little harder.
    There's no trouble finding the Mac in the Windows Network Neighborhood
    (or whatever it's called in XP). But logging in can be a challenge. My
    discovery of the weekend is that your first-created admin account in OS
    10.2 cannot be configured to be able to login from Windows, regardless
    of whether Windows File Sharing (and SMB) are activated in Sharing.
    However, you can create a *second* user, with those capabilities. But
    this isn't terribly useful because the files you presumably want to
    share aren't in User#2's home folder. There is a donation-ware
    Preference Pane you can get called SharePoints that is supposed to help
    with this, but I haven't fiddled with it. Essentially, it lets you
    define other folders than your Public folder as shareable.

    What I haven't figured out yet is the Printer Sharing. I have a Deskjet
    5550 connected directly to the iMac, and I can't get the Vaio to see it.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  3. #3

    Alice Faber wrote:

    Not exactly. It's really just a problem with password generation. The
    passwords are stored in a non-reversable form for Mac login, and in a
    different non-reversable form for SMB sharing. I've heard the Pref Panel
    is supposed to warn you about this, but it doesn't.

    Work around:
    1. Make sure Windows file sharing is turn ON on the Mac.
    2. Make sure Windows login is turned ON for the first account.
    3. Change the password for the first account on the Mac.
    4. (optionally) Change the password back.

    By changing the password, you'll update the SMB hash of it and be able
    to log on.

    Steven Guest