Professional Web Applications Themes

OS9, 1GB RAM, no virtual memory: implications? - Mac Applications & Software

In article <280620030327188141%spamspraints.com>, James Shannon <spamspraints.com> wrote: > I had read on the Apple site that if more than 1GB RAM was installed, > virtual memory was disabled in OS9. Apparently, the more accurate > statement is: "If greater than /or equal to/ 1GB RAM is installed, > virtual memory is disabled." > > Whatever, I am curious what the implications are of virtual memory not > being available with that much memory installed. Is it that there's now > so much RAM that the system doesn't need VM, or is there a meaningful > performace deficit involved with the ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: OS9, 1GB RAM, no virtual memory: implications?

    In article <280620030327188141%spamspraints.com>,
    James Shannon <spamspraints.com> wrote:
    > I had read on the Apple site that if more than 1GB RAM was installed,
    > virtual memory was disabled in OS9. Apparently, the more accurate
    > statement is: "If greater than /or equal to/ 1GB RAM is installed,
    > virtual memory is disabled."
    >
    > Whatever, I am curious what the implications are of virtual memory not
    > being available with that much memory installed. Is it that there's now
    > so much RAM that the system doesn't need VM, or is there a meaningful
    > performace deficit involved with the lack of VM with 1GB of RAM? I
    > know that some apps require VM to be turned on, but if there's so much
    > RAM available, maybe they don't need the extra VM disk space, and the
    > lack of VM is no big deal?
    I have a PowerBook G3 with 1GB of RAM, an iMac DV with 1GB of RAM and a
    MDD G4 with 2GB of RAM. Previously I had a G4 AGP with 1.5GB of RAM. I
    have never had any issues with applications refusing to run because VM
    is disabled.
    Pat Janes Guest

  2. #2

    <spamspraints.com> wrote:
    >I had read on the Apple site that if more than 1GB RAM was installed,
    >virtual memory was disabled in OS9. Apparently, the more accurate
    >statement is: "If greater than /or equal to/ 1GB RAM is installed,
    >virtual memory is disabled."
    >
    >Whatever, I am curious what the implications are of virtual memory not
    >being available with that much memory installed. Is it that there's now
    >so much RAM that the system doesn't need VM, or is there a meaningful
    >performace deficit involved with the lack of VM with 1GB of RAM? I
    >know that some apps require VM to be turned on, but if there's so much
    >RAM available, maybe they don't need the extra VM disk space, and the
    >lack of VM is no big deal?
    One problem arises when trying to play DVDs on my new G4 PB running Os9
    is that Apple has recently changed its tune regarding VM. Previously
    they said that VM should be off for smooth DVD playback but now they
    say it needs to be on. Indeed DVD playback is crap with VM off.

    But there's a workaround for this and any other time you need to enable
    VM when 1GB of RAM is installed... Just create a small RAM disk of
    approx 40Mb and this will fool the Os into allowing you to turn VM on.

    Stan
    Stan The Man Guest

  3. #3

    In article <280620031344055352%machomac.com>, Stan The Man <machomac.com> wrote:
    > In article <280620030327188141%spamspraints.com>, James Shannon
    > <spamspraints.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I had read on the Apple site that if more than 1GB RAM was installed,
    > >virtual memory was disabled in OS9. Apparently, the more accurate
    > >statement is: "If greater than /or equal to/ 1GB RAM is installed,
    > >virtual memory is disabled."
    > >
    > >Whatever, I am curious what the implications are of virtual memory not
    > >being available with that much memory installed. Is it that there's now
    > >so much RAM that the system doesn't need VM, or is there a meaningful
    > >performace deficit involved with the lack of VM with 1GB of RAM? I
    > >know that some apps require VM to be turned on, but if there's so much
    > >RAM available, maybe they don't need the extra VM disk space, and the
    > >lack of VM is no big deal?
    >
    > One problem arises when trying to play DVDs on my new G4 PB running Os9
    > is that Apple has recently changed its tune regarding VM. Previously
    > they said that VM should be off for smooth DVD playback but now they
    > say it needs to be on. Indeed DVD playback is crap with VM off.
    >
    > But there's a workaround for this and any other time you need to enable
    > VM when 1GB of RAM is installed... Just create a small RAM disk of
    > approx 40Mb and this will fool the Os into allowing you to turn VM on.
    Wow, great tip! I just created a RAM disk of 40960K, and yes, indeed, it
    did fool the OS into enabling VM! Thank you so much! :D

    -JS
    James Shannon Guest

  4. #4

    James Shannon <spamspraints.com> wrote in message news:<280620030327188141%spamspraints.com>...
    > I had read on the Apple site that if more than 1GB RAM was installed,
    > virtual memory was disabled in OS9. Apparently, the more accurate
    > statement is: "If greater than /or equal to/ 1GB RAM is installed,
    > virtual memory is disabled."
    >
    > Whatever, I am curious what the implications are of virtual memory not
    > being available with that much memory installed. Is it that there's now
    > so much RAM that the system doesn't need VM, or is there a meaningful
    > performace deficit involved with the lack of VM with ?1GB of RAM? I
    > know that some apps require VM to be turned on, but if there's so much
    > RAM available, maybe they don't need the extra VM disk space, and the
    > lack of VM is no big deal?

    You can create a virtual disk in memory to reduce the amount of RAM
    available to MacOS 9. I believe that you can create the virual disk
    in the memory control panel.

    Robert
    Robert Guest