Professional Web Applications Themes

OSR 5.0.7 and DVD compatibility - SCO

I have recently downloaded the updated WD driver for OSR 5.0.7 (which promises DVD writer compatibility). However, after closer reading of the associated man page, I find that writing CD's/DVD's appears to only be supported by commercial products such as BackupEdge. The only noncommercial product mentioned was cdrecord (which does not have the most recent version, which supports DVD+RW, available for OSR). Is it possible to use the tools inherent in the operating system (such as tar or cpio) and/or open source tools (such as gnu tar or others) to write to CD's/DVD's if you have the updated WD driver? ...

  1. #1

    Default OSR 5.0.7 and DVD compatibility

    I have recently downloaded the updated WD driver for
    OSR 5.0.7 (which promises DVD writer compatibility).
    However, after closer reading of the associated man
    page, I find that writing CD's/DVD's appears to only
    be supported by commercial products such as BackupEdge.
    The only noncommercial product mentioned was cdrecord
    (which does not have the most recent version, which
    supports DVD+RW, available for OSR).

    Is it possible to use the tools inherent in the operating
    system (such as tar or cpio) and/or open source tools
    (such as gnu tar or others) to write to CD's/DVD's if
    you have the updated WD driver? Or is the only way to
    use a commercial product (yes, I'm aware of the qualitative
    differences)?

    Thanks for your time and valuable input,

    C. Coulter
    com

    C. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSR 5.0.7 and DVD compatibility

    C. Coulter wrote:

    ATAPI CD & DVD writer support is in the base OSR507 release. The "Wd
    Driver Supplement" you downloaded adds support for >137GB IDE hard
    drives (only on systems with SCO Update Pack 1 installed). It does add
    ATAPI CD/DVD writer support to OSR506, perhaps you were mislead by that
    in the docs.

    You don't need a commercial product. It's true that to date the
    operating system doesn't include a program to write to CDs & DVDs; the
    added support in OSR507 is at the driver level, making it possible for
    such programs to work.

    `cdrecord` is available in the SCO Skunkware collection
    (www.sco.com/skunkware). It can definitely write to CDs. I've never
    figured out whether you _must_ have the DVD-enhanced version to write
    DVDs, or whether it only adds special DVD features like support for UDF
    filesystem format. Maybe someone who actually has a DVD writer can
    comment...

    Microlite's BackupEDGE and Lone Star's Lone-Tar support DVD writing.
    Both are very well regarded by members of this newsgroup. Both offer
    time-limited demo versions on their web sites. You might want to try
    them and see whether they're worth the money to you.

    Bela Guest

  3. #3

    Bela:

    The release notes for the updated WD driver show the
    following statement in the "What's New" section:

    # ATAPI CD and DVD writer devices now supported

    That is why I downloaded the update.

    Does anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?

    Thanks,

    C. Coulter
    com

    Using infinite wisdom, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > ATAPI CD & DVD writer support is in the base OSR507 release. The "Wd
    > Driver Supplement" you downloaded adds support for >137GB IDE hard
    > drives (only on systems with SCO Update Pack 1 installed). It does add
    > ATAPI CD/DVD writer support to OSR506, perhaps you were mislead by that
    > in the docs.
    >

    > You don't need a commercial product. It's true that to date the
    > operating system doesn't include a program to write to CDs & DVDs; the
    > added support in OSR507 is at the driver level, making it possible for
    > such programs to work.
    >
    > `cdrecord` is available in the SCO Skunkware collection
    > (www.sco.com/skunkware). It can definitely write to CDs. I've never
    > figured out whether you _must_ have the DVD-enhanced version to write
    > DVDs, or whether it only adds special DVD features like support for UDF
    > filesystem format. Maybe someone who actually has a DVD writer can
    > comment...
    >
    > Microlite's BackupEDGE and Lone Star's Lone-Tar support DVD writing.
    > Both are very well regarded by members of this newsgroup. Both offer
    > time-limited demo versions on their web sites. You might want to try
    > them and see whether they're worth the money to you.
    >

    >[/ref]

    C. Guest

  4. #4

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:59:48PM +0000):
    | C. Coulter wrote:
    |
    | > I have recently downloaded the updated WD driver for
    | > OSR 5.0.7 (which promises DVD writer compatibility).
    |
    | ATAPI CD & DVD writer support is in the base OSR507 release. The "Wd
    | Driver Supplement" you downloaded adds support for >137GB IDE hard
    | drives (only on systems with SCO Update Pack 1 installed). It does add
    | ATAPI CD/DVD writer support to OSR506, perhaps you were mislead by that
    | in the docs.
    |
    | > However, after closer reading of the associated man
    | > page, I find that writing CD's/DVD's appears to only
    | > be supported by commercial products such as BackupEdge.
    | > The only noncommercial product mentioned was cdrecord
    | > (which does not have the most recent version, which
    | > supports DVD+RW, available for OSR).
    | >
    | > Is it possible to use the tools inherent in the operating
    | > system (such as tar or cpio) and/or open source tools
    | > (such as gnu tar or others) to write to CD's/DVD's if
    | > you have the updated WD driver? Or is the only way to
    | > use a commercial product (yes, I'm aware of the qualitative
    | > differences)?
    |
    | You don't need a commercial product. It's true that to date the
    | operating system doesn't include a program to write to CDs & DVDs; the
    | added support in OSR507 is at the driver level, making it possible for
    | such programs to work.
    |
    | `cdrecord` is available in the SCO Skunkware collection
    | (www.sco.com/skunkware). It can definitely write to CDs. I've never
    | figured out whether you _must_ have the DVD-enhanced version to write
    | DVDs, or whether it only adds special DVD features like support for UDF
    | filesystem format. Maybe someone who actually has a DVD writer can
    | comment...
    |
    | Microlite's BackupEDGE and Lone Star's Lone-Tar support DVD writing.
    | Both are very well regarded by members of this newsgroup. Both offer
    | time-limited demo versions on their web sites. You might want to try
    | them and see whether they're worth the money to you.

    I don't have a DVD writer, but I read on the cdrecord home page,

    http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

    that "DVD writing support is implemented in cdrecord since march 1998."

    The latest Skunkware version of cdrecord is from source that dates to the
    middle of 2001.

    The current alpha version of cdrecord (2.01a19) compiles readily on OSR
    5.07, using either cc or gcc.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  5. #5

    Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in message news:<jpr.com>...

    And here's the good DVD news from Microlite for 506 users.

    http://www.microlite.com/DVD506/dvd506.html

    I'm sure Lone-tar will be doing the same now with 506.

    Regards,
    Dan Martin
    Dan Guest

  6. #6

    Dan Martin typed (on Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:28:56AM -0800):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in message news:<jpr.com>...
    | > Bela Lubkin typed (on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:59:48PM +0000):
    | > | C. Coulter wrote:
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | ATAPI CD & DVD writer support is in the base OSR507 release. The "Wd
    | > | Driver Supplement" you downloaded adds support for >137GB IDE hard
    | > | drives (only on systems with SCO Update Pack 1 installed). It does add
    | > | ATAPI CD/DVD writer support to OSR506, perhaps you were mislead by that
    | > | in the docs.
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | You don't need a commercial product. It's true that to date the
    | > | operating system doesn't include a program to write to CDs & DVDs; the
    | > | added support in OSR507 is at the driver level, making it possible for
    | > | such programs to work.
    | > |
    | > | `cdrecord` is available in the SCO Skunkware collection
    | > | (www.sco.com/skunkware). It can definitely write to CDs. I've never
    | > | figured out whether you _must_ have the DVD-enhanced version to write
    | > | DVDs, or whether it only adds special DVD features like support for UDF
    | > | filesystem format. Maybe someone who actually has a DVD writer can
    | > | comment...
    | > |
    | > | Microlite's BackupEDGE and Lone Star's Lone-Tar support DVD writing.
    | > | Both are very well regarded by members of this newsgroup. Both offer
    | > | time-limited demo versions on their web sites. You might want to try
    | > | them and see whether they're worth the money to you.
    | >
    | > I don't have a DVD writer, but I read on the cdrecord home page,
    | >
    | > http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
    | >
    | > that "DVD writing support is implemented in cdrecord since march 1998."
    | >
    | > The latest Skunkware version of cdrecord is from source that dates to the
    | > middle of 2001.
    | >
    | > The current alpha version of cdrecord (2.01a19) compiles readily on OSR
    | > 5.07, using either cc or gcc.
    |

    | And here's the good DVD news from Microlite for 506 users.
    |
    | http://www.microlite.com/DVD506/dvd506.html
    |
    | I'm sure Lone-tar will be doing the same now with 506.
    |
    | Regards,
    | Dan Martin

    LONE-TAR version 4.0 and greater already has support for ATAPI DVD and CD
    writers under SCO 5.0.7. LONE-TAR supports these devices under 5.0.6 with
    the installed wd supplement just the same. There are no additional
    patches or updates required for LONE-TAR.

    --

    Best Regards,
    Eric Nicholson, Exec VP - com [News Group]

    Eric Guest