    Removed by Administrator
    Marc Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Default Re: OSR507..... cabloooui

    Marc Champagne <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote:

    Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware 9.1:

    store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/slack9.1?id=2Ybek5qU&mv_pc=14

    You may even want to consider a subscription.

    Slackware is the most Unix like Linux with all the features you are looking
    for and much more.

    If you were running massive database clusters I would say go with RedHat but
    what you are describing is kids play - Linux wise at least.

    Best regards,

    Brian

    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    Brian <com> wrote in

    > Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware
    > 9.1:
    >
    > store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/slack9.1?id=2Ybek5qU&mv_pc
    > =14
    >
    > You may even want to consider a subscription.
    >
    > Slackware is the most Unix like Linux with all the features
    > you are looking for and much more.[/ref]

    Much obliged, will look into it!

    it's not the case.

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  9. #9

    Brian <com> wrote in

    > Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware
    > 9.1:
    >
    > store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/slack9.1?id=2Ybek5qU&mv_pc
    > =14[/ref]

    What are your opinions/experience with Mandrake and/or RedHat
    9, they seem attractive.

    Although now that you mentioned it, Slackware is *very*
    interesting.

    According to distrowatch.com, slackware is more advanced and
    Mandrake/RedHat would be good middle road distributions.

    I've been using SCO for tooooo long (15 years or so) and
    never really looked into Linux except for recently, I'll try
    to get a feel for Slackware via some more digging.

    Thanks

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  10. #10

    Bob, I've looked into RH8/9 and will give them a call this

    RHE is the server stable version. Wich one will be $$$$.

    RH9 the last on maintained by RedHat next one will be under the Fedora
    license wich is from open software so many stables updates from many peoples
    with bring frequents updates and changes in base software.

    Get a look at gnu screen:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

    Michel

    donais Guest

  11. #11

    "donais" <qc.ca> wrote in

    > RHE is the server stable version. Wich one will be $$$$.
    >
    > RH9 the last on maintained by RedHat next one will be under
    > the Fedora license wich is from open software so many
    > stables updates from many peoples with bring frequents
    > updates and changes in base software.

    > Get a look at gnu screen:
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/[/ref]

    "screen" appears to be graphical (it's not very clear in it's
    description).

    SCO Unix has access to 12 text-based logins, on the console
    accessible via ALT-F1 to ALT-F12, it's the equivalent of 12
    physical terminals as there is *no* interaction between each
    session, this is what I'm looking for.

    Un Québecois! petit monde!

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  12. #12

    Marc Champagne <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote:

    I have run RedHat and Mandrake in the past - Mandrake is of course based on
    the RedHat distro and so relies on many of the same methods - rpm etc...

    I prefer Slackware because it is like Unix and is a little more elemental
    versus the more elaborate RedHat installs.

    I use it for anything from desktops to NAT/firewalls, nameservers,
    mailservers, Windows/Unix file/print servers, database servers, Apache web
    servers - I even have Wine set up on a couple boxes for "Must Have" Windows
    applications.

    It is not bleeding edge but it has a pretty good upgrade schedule - if you
    are interested - I have one faxserver box safely inside a friendly LAN that
    have been running since '95 with only minor hardware replacements.

    The latest version Slackware 9.1 is an excellent refinement upgrade for the
    dramatic 9.0 release.

    Mandrake 9.2 is experiencing some serious issues and cannot be recommended
    at this time.

    RedHat has a well regarded commercial product but it has become quite
    expensive - you will be better served to learn Slackware and use all your
    native Unix skills in developing a repertoire of free GPL applications.

    Just read the included "Slackware-HOWTO" found in the root directory of the
    install CD. Also check out the "FAQ".

    If you are not going to run any desktops then you can safely not install
    them. You can install a basic Slackware 9.1 with a full compliment of
    command line apps & utilities, networking & 'Net apps, development &
    scripting, database and even some command line games all in under 1 Gig
    including swap.

    If you want to kick the tires, download the first two install disk CDs
    available from dozens of mirrors around the world - just Google:

    "Slackware 9.1" ISO

    The first two ISOs are all that is required to install a complete Slackware
    distro - just download and burn them.

    If you have the space on a reasonably fast computer, say 800MHz, 256meg and
    8gig - do a FULL install and use that as your training machine - you could
    be up and running in about two hours including download, burning and
    installation.

    If you have any "quick" questions, feel free to email me. Expect to do a bit
    of reading BUT the biggest thrill will be No registration or licenses.

    Be a mensch and buy a single copy for every site but use it on as many
    machines/CPUs as you like with as many users as you like.

    Best regards,

    Brian
    Network Services

    Brian Guest

  13. #13

    Marc Champagne <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote:

    Actually, screen allows you to run multiple terminals from a single
    telnet/ssh session.

    Most every Linux has that facility.

    8^)

    Best regards,

    Brian
    Network Services

    Brian Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:06:46 GMT, Brian <com> wrote:

    >Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware 9.1:
    >[/ref]

    Depending on what you want from a Linux distro, he hight also want to
    look at Debian or Gentoo.

    Both these distributions don't have the requirement to do a full update
    periodically. Think of them as a stream of updates. Now it could mean
    that you do a minor update and this breaks a config file. On the other
    hand you don't have a major project when you want to upgrade the version
    of the distribution (as you may find with RedHat or Slackware).

    Debian's stable release is very conservative, focussing on stability.
    You won't find leading edge releases in it. If stability is your primary
    concern, this is probably what you want.

    Gentoo stable is more leading edge. However, it does offer far more
    flexibility and configurability. Don't be fooled by the version number
    of the Gentoo release. This refers only to the starting pojnt and once
    you have built your installation, it does not matter from which version
    of the initial installation files you started.
    Joe Guest

  15. #15

    Brian <com> wrote in

    > Actually, screen allows you to run multiple terminals from
    > a single telnet/ssh session.[/ref]

    This sounds like SCO's Shell-layer thingy (shl), I tried it
    once, didn't like it.

    > Most every Linux has that facility.[/ref]

    great! will have to install Linux to see it now.

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  16. #16

    Brian <com> wrote in

    > I have run RedHat and Mandrake in the past - Mandrake is of
    > course based on the RedHat distro and so relies on many of
    > the same methods - rpm etc...
    >
    > I prefer Slackware because it is like Unix and is a little
    > more elemental versus the more elaborate RedHat installs.[/ref]

    Sounds like it's in my ball park.

    > I use it for anything from desktops to NAT/firewalls,
    > nameservers, mailservers, Windows/Unix file/print servers,
    > database servers, Apache web servers - I even have Wine set
    > up on a couple boxes for "Must Have" Windows applications.[/ref]

    How's the man/help system, functional/practical/complete?

    > It is not bleeding edge but it has a pretty good upgrade
    > schedule - if you are interested - I have one faxserver box
    > safely inside a friendly LAN that have been running since
    > '95 with only minor hardware replacements.[/ref]

    Stable it is then!

    Well It's d/ling right now, will burn'em at try it at the
    office.

    > Just read the included "Slackware-HOWTO" found in the root
    > directory of the install CD. Also check out the "FAQ".[/ref]

    Will do

    No desktop, great!

    Done

    The test machine is a 1.8ghz P4 512meg, adaptec ultra2

    Thanks

    The usual, I'm used to it :)

    I Have to problem woth that :)

    I'll do better, with everything saved from licensing, if I
    managed to get this off of the ground I'll buy a CD from
    every server in the rack!

    Likewise

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  17. #17

    invalid (Joe Dunning) wrote in

    >>Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware
    >>9.1:
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Depending on what you want from a Linux distro, he hight
    > also want to look at Debian or Gentoo.[/ref]

    Gentoo is source based, I'm not into compiling everything, my
    brain is quite crowded right now :)

    Debian, from what I read may be hard to install, not quite
    sure with apt-get does either.

    Thanks for your input, right now Linux is *very* fresh for
    me, I believe I'll get my hands dirty with slackware first
    and once more familliar with Linux (shouldn't be that big a
    mountain) I'll dwelve into other arenas.

    Thanks

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  18. #18

    Marc Champagne <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote:

    >> Actually, screen allows you to run multiple terminals from
    >> a single telnet/ssh session.[/ref][/ref]

    Screen is substantially better than that awful shell layer thing.

    It isn't necessarily the right tool, though:

    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#reconnect

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  19. #19

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:54:22 -0600, Marc Champagne
    <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote:

    Compiling things is not such an issue -- everything is automated. I
    just takes time. If you do ever choose Gentoo, read the doentation on
    the USE flags and CFLAGS first. Get those right and everything should
    proceed smoothly.

    Linux is about choice. Pick the distro you feel most comfortable with.
    If you have time, try installing different distros and see what you
    like.

    If you want the ultimate in choice, there are instructions on how to
    build your own distribution from scratch, using only source code.

    But as I said before, Linux offers you the freedom to pick a
    distribution that suits your needs best. Only you should decide which
    you choose to use. You may find that for different applications,
    different distributions are more suitable.

    Joe Guest

  20. #20

    "Brian" <com> wrote in message

    > Save yourself a ton of money and buy a copy of Slackware 9.1:[/ref]

    A *ton* of money? RedHat Pro is $ 180.00. Is that a "ton"?

    If you *really* want to save money, go to Dell's web site, layout a nice
    server model, and click the "Preinstall Redhat" box!

    It arrives at your door, plug it in, boot it up, get updates, add apps,
    taaa, taaa. I throw in a DVD+RW with Backup Edge SS... sweet and cheap.

    Bob Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast