Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX bootable CD - much confusion - Mac Applications & Software

I would like to make an emergency boot CD of my OSX system. I checked through Google groups and found a number of contradictory comments about how to accomplish this. I have Toast and would prefer to use it, if possible. (I've made bootable OS9 CDs with it for several years.) Some of the messages I read said it will make a boot OSX CDs, others say not. Some messages say carbon copy cloner will do this, but the developer's web site explictly says it won't make boot CDs. Others suggest using bootCD. It's still listed as beta, but has ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX bootable CD - much confusion

    I would like to make an emergency boot CD of my OSX system. I
    checked through Google groups and found a number of contradictory
    comments about how to accomplish this.
    I have Toast and would prefer to use it, if possible. (I've made
    bootable OS9 CDs with it for several years.) Some of the messages I read
    said it will make a boot OSX CDs, others say not.
    Some messages say carbon copy cloner will do this, but the
    developer's web site explictly says it won't make boot CDs.
    Others suggest using bootCD. It's still listed as beta, but has
    good reviews on VersionTracker. Is this the best option if Toast doesn't
    work?
    Thanks for any help.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX bootable CD - much confusion

    In article <300820032013007544%net.au>,
    Stephen Finlay <net.au> wrote:

    > I have successfully used BootCD to make a bootable OS X disk. Give
    > yourself plenty of time... it is a slow process.[/ref]

    One of the users' comments on VersionTracker said it's not only a
    long process but quite complex and difficult to do correctly. Was that
    your experience? It kind of put me off.
    I'd still prefer to use Toast if it works. I may just give it a
    try, unless someone can tell me definitively whether it works or not.
    Another question -- someone suggested that you can use Toast to
    copy a disk image of the install CD that comes with the computer and
    this will be bootable. Is this true? I don't mind doing it this way -- I
    just want something I can put in a safe place or take with me when I
    travel.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  3. #3

    In article <pp_3b.2817$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc
    <ca> wrote:

    I have successfully used BootCD to make a bootable OS X disk. Give
    yourself plenty of time... it is a slow process.

    Steve

    --
    Stephen Finlay
    On the web http://users.bigpond.net.au/PiquetStockade

  4. #4

    In article <24%3b.2819$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    this was not my experience at all. it was "long" in terms of time (took
    maybe an hour total including disk burning) but it was not complex.
    sam Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.sys.mac.system dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    This may sound like a silly question, but why not just use
    the CD that came with Jaguar? Why re-invent the wheel?

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  6. #6

    In article <biq2tr$51g$temple.edu>, edu wrote:

    The CD that comes with Jaguar is an installation disk. You can boot with it
    and run disk utility, but that's about it, rather than install the system
    again. If you want to boot and mount volumes and run the terminal and such,
    then you need a boot CD.
    sam Guest

  7. #7

    In article <tz04b.307823$uu5.65247sccrnsc04>,
    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > The CD that comes with Jaguar is an installation disk. You can boot with it
    > and run disk utility, but that's about it, rather than install the system
    > again. If you want to boot and mount volumes and run the terminal and such,
    > then you need a boot CD.[/ref]

    Besides that, I have installed 6 upgrades to the system software. I'd
    want my bootable cd to have the latest version of system software.
    BootCD was by far the easiest way of doing this.
    Pete Guest

  8. #8

    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > The CD that comes with Jaguar is an installation disk. You can boot with it
    > and run disk utility, but that's about it, rather than install the system
    > again. If you want to boot and mount volumes and run the terminal and such,
    > then you need a boot CD.[/ref]

    I would like to make a backup of the install disk as well, to store
    in a safe location away from home. I suppose bootCD is the best for
    doing this as well?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  9. #9

    In article <iw%3b.304290$o%2.138300sccrnsc02>,
    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > this was not my experience at all. it was "long" in terms of time (took
    > maybe an hour total including disk burning) but it was not complex.[/ref]

    I'm going by memory now, but in the discussion I read, I recall
    some mention of needing to use DiskWarrior on the hard disk before
    burning the backup. Or maybe he was just recommending doing that. Is
    that what you did?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  10. #10

    In article <%8%3b.305026$YN5.208308sccrnsc01>,
    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > I believe this is the best option. The fact that it's a beta is not much of
    > a problem. You probably won't have too much success with Toast. Toast
    > "messes with the boot blocks" and it's hard to create a bootable CD with
    > it. You probably will have to use Disk Copy to burn the CD so that it boots
    > successfully.[/ref]

    So, are you saying that BootCD doesn't do the actual burning? That
    you have to use Disk Copy for that?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  11. #11

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:44:38 -0400,
    dotlyc (ca) wrote:

    That's correct. All BootCD does is create a disk image. You still need
    to burn that image.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  12. #12

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > That's correct. All BootCD does is create a disk image. You still need
    > to burn that image.[/ref]

    Ah, okay. I didn't get that.
    I take it from what another poster said here that Toast shouldn't
    be used for the burning either -- that Disk Copy should be used instead.
    So not only does Toast not create a proper disk image, it also
    can't burn the good one that BootCD makes so that it will be bootable?
    I don't have a problem using Disk Copy but I am curious as to
    whether Toast is completely useless for this function.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  13. #13

    In article <4id4b.19658$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    no. I didn't do anything like that.
    sam Guest