Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX cannot read system 7 sounds easily - Mac Applications & Software

[url]http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021127060058937[/url] How awful that one has to go through all this hassle to read all your old sound files. Yes it is possible to convert all those old sounds, but what if I have hundreds of Mac sound files? What if MS Office uses system 7 sound files in its libraries.. Man this is one HUGE disadvantage to the Mac, not being able to actually BOOT into OS 9 on current macs. With most Intel PC's you can load any version of Windows and BOOT back and forth, just encase you run into any compatability problems with XP/2003 and your ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX cannot read system 7 sounds easily

    [url]http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021127060058937[/url]

    How awful that one has to go through all this hassle to read all your old sound
    files. Yes it is possible to convert all those old sounds, but what if I have
    hundreds of Mac sound files? What if MS Office uses system 7 sound files in
    its libraries..

    Man this is one HUGE disadvantage to the Mac, not being able to actually BOOT
    into OS 9 on current macs.

    With most Intel PC's you can load any version of Windows and BOOT back and
    forth, just encase you run into any compatability problems with XP/2003 and
    your old apps/files.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX cannot read system 7 sounds easily

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > Man this is one HUGE disadvantage to the Mac, not being able to actually BOOT
    > into OS 9 on current macs.
    Hmmm, the G4 I just ordered for $1295 boots into OS 9. Say, so do all
    the G4s Apple is currently selling.

    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I just managed to play a .snd file while
    booted in OS X, so as usual you're just manufacturing a reason to
    criticize Apple.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fxeu9m.1ipup381lz2p5yN%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> , [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike Rosenberg) writes:
    > JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    >
    >> Man this is one HUGE disadvantage to the Mac, not being able to actually BOOT
    >> into OS 9 on current macs.
    >
    > Hmmm, the G4 I just ordered for $1295 boots into OS 9. Say, so do all
    > the G4s Apple is currently selling.
    Including the 17 inch G4 powerbook ?
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  4. #4

    Larry Kilgallen <KilgallenSpamCop.net> wrote:
    > > Hmmm, the G4 I just ordered for $1295 boots into OS 9. Say, so do all
    > > the G4s Apple is currently selling.
    >
    > Including the 17 inch G4 powerbook ?
    I'm sorry, I should have specifically said Power Mac G4s, because I'm
    just talking about the towers. I don't believe they've changed the
    specs on any PowerBooks.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:24:31 -0500, JWolf6589 wrote
    (in message <20030702122431.17964.00000011mb-m03.aol.com>):
    > << Bull. It's simple to import 'em into iTunes, or to launch Classic and
    > use
    > SoundApp or any of a large number of other such apps and batch-convert 'em.
    > It takes literally _seconds_ to set up. Depending on how many snds you have
    > it might take a while to _run_, but even so we're talking minutes at most. A
    > few more seconds with a utility such as A Better Finder Rename, or even the
    > command line in Terminal, and the new files all have .aiff extensions. I had
    > 53 MB of snds, I converted 'em all in under 5 minutes. >>
    >

    > So you saying the classic mode cannot run system 7 sounds without third party
    > garbage?
    No, twit. iTunes is an Apple app.
    > Listen you, I am asking as I may send a sound file to someone with
    > an
    > OSX machine, and all I want to know is if it will play without hassle.
    > Apparantly OSX cannot read system 7 sounds without third party garbage.
    Wrongo, nutcase. See above.
    > If
    > you
    > know anything about sound you'd know that sometimes when you convert an audio
    > file the file gets messed up.
    Gee. Never happened to any of the 53 MB of sound files I had. Could it be
    that the troll did something wrong?
    > This does not happen often, but I have one
    > such
    > sound file that should not be converted.
    >
    > Bye the way its Microsoft not Mickeysoft
    'Tis Mickeysoft, oh troll.

    > << As has been pointed out to you before, oh trolling idiot, it's perfectly
    > possible to get a nice new G4 desktop which boots OS 9. In fact, right now,
    > _all_ new G4 desktops boot OS 9. >>
    >
    > Why is it that all new Macs can boot into OS 9?
    Just the G4s, not the laptops.
    > I thought Apple was not
    > allowing this..
    They've stopped making the newer Windtunnels, but still have some of the
    older ones in stock, and are getting rid of those before they start selling
    G5s.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Dyer Guest

  6. #6

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > [url]http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021127060058937[/url]
    >
    > How awful that one has to go through all this hassle to read all your old
    > sound files. Yes it is possible to convert all those old sounds, but what
    > if I have hundreds of Mac sound files?
    Geez, I just noticed that the very article you posted states clearly
    that iTunes .snd files and can convert them. The article states that
    "using them in OS X is easy," but you've decided that "easy" means "all
    this hassle."

    BTW, it's even easier than the article states, because there's no need
    to make mp3 files first if your goal is AIFF, as you can convert fron
    ..snd to .aif directly.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  7. #7

    << Geez, I just noticed that the very article you posted states clearly
    that iTunes .snd files and can convert them. The article states that
    "using them in OS X is easy," but you've decided that "easy" means "all
    this hassle." >>

    No but they cannot be open in the finder just by double clicking them.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  8. #8

    In article <20030703172720.24426.00000043mb-m22.aol.com>,
    [email]jwolf6589aol.comn[/email]ospam (JWolf6589) wrote:
    ><< Geez, I just noticed that the very article you posted states clearly
    >that iTunes .snd files and can convert them. The article states that
    >"using them in OS X is easy," but you've decided that "easy" means "all
    >this hassle." >>
    >

    >No but they cannot be open in the finder just by double clicking them.
    Give them a name ending in .snd. Pick one. Do a 'Get Info'
    on it. Open the 'Open with' tab. Pick the application you
    want them to open in. Click the button.

    Simon Slavin Guest

  9. #9

    << Give them a name ending in .snd. Pick one. Do a 'Get Info'
    on it. Open the 'Open with' tab. Pick the application you
    want them to open in. Click the button. >>

    Not as easy as in mac OS 7-9.x.

    Pick a file do not add a .snd to it, and click the open menu item, and it
    plays.
    JWolf6589 Guest