Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX cant do AFP over Appletalk - Mac Applications & Software

What a mistake. I do not understand why they did such a thing. This means that all pre 9.x Macs cannot share with OSX, unless they have third party software installed such as Shareway Ip. This was dumb on the part of Apple. PC's do not have such limitations... No wonder 99% of the network world is PC based....

  1. #1

    Default OSX cant do AFP over Appletalk

    What a mistake. I do not understand why they did such a thing. This means
    that all pre 9.x Macs cannot share with OSX, unless they have third party
    software installed such as Shareway Ip. This was dumb on the part of Apple.

    PC's do not have such limitations... No wonder 99% of the network world is PC
    based.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX cant do AFP over Appletalk

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnospam (JWolf6589) wrote:

    Can any PC do AFP over Appletalk?

    Since OS 9 machines can handle TCP/IP connections, it is a moot point
    anyway.

    maybe some day you'll make a valid point here, but I won't hold my
    breath.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Hey, at least he posted as himself. Well, assuming he's ever done that
    in the first place.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    >Can any PC do AFP over Appletalk?

    With commercial software yes.
    But any PC even DOS based machines can connect to each other. In other words
    PC's are very backward compatible. You can have a network of any PC OS DOS-XP
    and have them all connect together.

    You do not believe me..

    Well for one we do it at our orginization
    Second, why dont you venture into a DOS newsgroup and ask them if they can
    network to XP machines, and vice versa.

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  5. #5

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    > With commercial software yes.
    > But any PC even DOS based machines can connect to each other. In other words
    > PC's are very backward compatible. You can have a network of any PC OS DOS-XP
    > and have them all connect together.[/ref]

    So are Macs; OS 9 and OS X can network together over TCP/IP; just not
    over AppleTalk.

    You act as if they can't network at all; please study in order to remove
    your ignorance?

    Oh, I believe that PCs can network; the problem is that you believe that
    OS X and OS 9 can't network.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    On 30 Jul 2003 22:25:38 GMT,
    JWolf6589 (comnospam) wrote:

    Wrong. Dead wrong. OS X (10.2.x) can connect to AFP shares over AppleTalk.
    I do it all the time. If a TCP/IP connection is available, OS X makes use
    of it -- but it gracefully falls back to using AFP over AppleTalk if the
    server doesn't support TCP/IP.

    So PCs can connect to AFP shares now? Without any additional software? I
    think you're a moron -- welcome to my killfile.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  7. #7

    JWolf6589 <comnospam> wrote:

    I don't know why I'm even trying, but yes, Apple has ruled out 680x0
    Macs, the last of which were manufactured in 1994. OTOH, any Power Mac,
    including the very earliest, _can_ connect to an OS X server. Tell us
    all about the tremendous capabilities of PCs from 1994.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    >So are Macs; OS 9 and OS X can network together over TCP/IP; just not

    Actually what he said in the previous post was correct. OS 9.x or later can
    network to one another. But pre 9.x macs cannot network to OSX machines
    without the use of third party software.

    This is a limitation not seen in the PC world, and a good reason why PC's own
    99% of the network market.

    On a PC the network protocols are similar. I can set up my Win 3.11 box right
    to my XP box with little trouble. Try doing this on a Mac? Try networking a
    system 7.1 Mac to an OSX Mac.

    You do not want to admit that PC's are superior for this one thing.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  9. #9

    >Oh, I believe that PCs can network; the problem is that you believe that

    You should try reading his posts before responding...

    <This means
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  10. #10

    Crucifyself03 <comnojunk> wrote:

    When are you going to get bored with this stupid game of yours? Okay,
    this time you remembered to say "his" instead of "my," I'll give you
    that much credit.

    Of course, if one of your earlier posts hadn't already busted my irony
    meter, this one would have done it. "You should try reading his
    posts"??? How often do _your_ posts have much, if anything, to do with
    the previous poster's?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    I was unaware of that; I always connected the OS 9 machine to the OS X
    machine via TCP/IP because it is faster. Now that I no longer have an
    OS 9 machine, it's a moot point for me.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  12. #12

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    If I could find a system 7.1 Mac that someone wanted to network with an
    OS X Mac, I would try it. If I could find a system 7.1 Mac at all.

    I also do not want to admit that the earth is flat or that the moon is
    made of green cheese.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  13. #13

    >Wrong. Dead wrong. OS X (10.2.x) can connect to AFP shares over AppleTalk.

    OSX CANNOT connect to pre 9.x Macs without the use of third party software. I
    believe the original poster said that.

    http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/macintosh/osx/general/index.xml.ID=network

    "File sharing is not supported over AppleTalk so Macintoshes running versions
    of the operating system prior to 9 will be unable to share their files with Mac
    OS X systems."

    "ShareWay IP is the only way to let a pre-X Mac's File Sharing share files with
    a Mac OS X system. Mac OS X's AppleShare client (through the "Connect to File
    Server" menu item or the Classic Chooser) can only access AFP (AppleShare)
    servers that provide file service using TCP/IP. It does not support AFP over
    AppleTalk. ShareWay IP Personal Edition adds TCP/IP file sharing capability to
    any Mac OS machine running Mac OS 7.5.5 or later, letting that machine's files
    be accessed from Mac OS X. "
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  14. #14

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    That article is dead wrong. Read my previous post in this thread.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://www.ircandy.com/doug/
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/

  15. #15

    Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    And now I've seen from other posts that this isn't even true.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  16. #16

    >See what happens when you treat people like crap, Johnny? This woman

    No one was treating anyone like crap.

    The only problems are people like you that constantly gotta hound me. Why dont
    you try something new, and try laying off me for a change, can you do this. Is
    it possible? I bet my moneys worth that you cannot do it.

    Stop being so dam critical of every word that I mispell or whatever. Do you
    ever see me doing this to you? MOST OF THE TIME I lay off you. I do not find
    every word you mispell or respond to you in such a way. Yes you are correct I
    do have access to AOL as its my primary newsfeed. Its MY ONLY NEWSFEED outside
    of Google.

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  17. #17

    >When are you going to get bored with this stupid game of yours? Okay,

    Can you be any more nosy?
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  18. #18

    >Actually Michelle -- he is wronger than you indicate. OS X can connect

    Really? Did I not say no use of any third party software or server software
    installed on the pre 9.x Mac?

    Read this from the opendoor.com's site.

    "ShareWay IP is the only way to let File Sharing on a pre-X system share files
    with Mac OS X, since Mac OS X cannot access files shared over AppleTalk. "

    This is where I get my data. I may not be as wrong as you indicate.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  19. #19

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    Well, they are wrong. Gee, I wonder why. They are selling a product that
    basically solves this so-called "problem." What will happen to their
    sales if they tell everyone to just use the stuff built into OS X
    instead? :-)

    I just did that. I said that in my article.

    I did not do that.

    I did not do that.

    I did that.

    Hopefully this is enough! :)

    I wouldn't be surprised if they can do that, although I think older
    versions of AppleShare will have a tough time talking with OS X. I
    recall having a few difficulties getting a System 6 machine to talk with
    my OS X Mac until I upgraded AppleShare on it (I think I did, anyway).

    If you do not want to believe me, fine. But I know that I am right, and
    frankly, that's all that matters to me right now. ;)

    Doug

  20. #20

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    Speaking of ShareWay IP, did you know that OS 9 actually includes
    ShareWay IP to get AFP working over TCP/IP? So technically, even when
    using OS 9, you're using third party software (as I indicated before,
    this isn't necessary, though).

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://www.ircandy.com/doug/
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/
    If you want to reply by email, remove "pleasenospam." and ".invalid"
    Doug Guest

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast