Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX Login and Workgroup Manager Question - Mac Applications & Software

I have a problem. About 2 weks ago, I set up a Mac OSX Server, just for file sharing. At first, all was well, but I had a problem with our router, so I had to change some DHCP Settings, and stuff like that. Somehow, the passwords to the server got changed when I did this. I fixed this by booting from the install disk and resetting the passwords. But here is the problem, when I try to log on with an administrative account(Execpt Root), It goes directly into the terminal, with no GUI. If I do log on as ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX Login and Workgroup Manager Question

    I have a problem. About 2 weks ago, I set up a Mac OSX Server, just for
    file sharing. At first, all was well, but I had a problem with our
    router, so I had to change some DHCP Settings, and stuff like that.
    Somehow, the passwords to the server got changed when I did this. I
    fixed this by booting from the install disk and resetting the passwords.
    But here is the problem, when I try to log on with an administrative
    account(Execpt Root), It goes directly into the terminal, with no GUI.
    If I do log on as root, I can create a new account, in which I can login
    to a GUI, but no administrative privleges. But here is another problem,
    I cannot edit anything with the workgroup manager, on any account(even
    root). It will let me see the Users and groups, but I cannot edit them.
    Also, when I try to do something like change a setting where I must
    login to the local server, I cannot. It says the login is invalid, and
    I am sure the IP,Username and Password are correct. Any Solutions?

    TIA

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX Login and Workgroup Manager Question

    In article <com>,
    Kevin Goad <com> wrote:

    No, it wasn't the passwords, it was the NetInfo database. You
    have probably messed it up beyond fixing. I would recommend
    that you back up all your users' doents, reformat, and reinstall,
    this time using the new IP address.

    Changing the IP address of a Mac OS X Server machine is
    complicated. Apple have a script in the Knowledge Database to
    do it.

    Simon Guest

  3. #3

    Simon Slavin wrote:

    > No, it wasn't the passwords, it was the NetInfo database. You
    > have probably messed it up beyond fixing. I would recommend
    > that you back up all your users' doents, reformat, and reinstall,
    > this time using the new IP address.
    >
    > Changing the IP address of a Mac OS X Server machine is
    > complicated. Apple have a script in the Knowledge Database to
    > do it.
    >
    >[/ref]

    What exactly is the NetInfo Database? Like I said The users can still
    login and read/write to directories like they should, I just cant make
    any changes to Users and Groups. What are the results and consequences
    of restoring the netinfo database to the default(I dont think
    reinstalling the OS is an option)?

    Thanks

    Kevin Guest