Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX Mail file formats; Upgrade to Panther - Mac Applications & Software

Hi from a newcomer, I have two questions for which I can't find the answers on the web. For the first one, I could probably check myself if I had my trusty iBook with me in this country, but alas I am separated from it and all other Macs for some months... 1. For the Mail tool on OSX (specifically Jaguar and - if anyone knows - Panther), what is the format of the files containing the mail (the "mail folders", really just files of concatenated emails). Is it ASCII text, like Netscape Mail? If not what is it, and ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX Mail file formats; Upgrade to Panther

    Hi from a newcomer,

    I have two questions for which I can't find the answers on the web. For
    the first one, I could probably check myself if I had my trusty iBook
    with me in this country, but alas I am separated from it and all other
    Macs for some months...

    1. For the Mail tool on OSX (specifically Jaguar and - if anyone knows -
    Panther), what is the format of the files containing the mail (the "mail
    folders", really just files of concatenated emails). Is it ASCII text,
    like Netscape Mail? If not what is it, and what formats can the mail
    files be exported to from OSX Mail?

    2. I have Jaguar. Will I have to pay to upgrade to Panther?
    Vaughan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX Mail file formats; Upgrade to Panther

    In article <bhmko8$dvb$csx.cam.ac.uk>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    It looks to be the standard Unix "mbox" format, but buried in a package
    rather than a normal subdirectory, along with an index file. It's
    easiest to get to via Terminal, but you can also right-click (or
    control-click) on the mailbox file and select Show Package Contents to
    find the "mbox" file.

    Yes.
    --
    Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
    net | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.

  3. #3

    Default Re: OSX Mail file formats

    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    > > Entourage can export standard MBOX files......[/ref]
    >[/ref]
    Can it? How do you do that then, I've only got the option to export
    contacts........

    > No, now that is simple, at least in my older version of NS on Windows
    > (yes I will also be porting between platforms). In the mail directory,
    > there is all the plain ASCII mbox files - no conversion or export
    > necessary ! The associated NS index files sit quietly in the same
    > directory, and can be safely ignored. In Windows, the mbox files have
    > no extensions, and the index files have the same basename and extension
    > .snm.[/ref]

    Unlike trying to go the other way from fcsking windows OE to Mac
    anything.
    I've made much use recently of Emailchemy which has converters for
    various different email clients to help the move. Its not however always
    been 100% successful though, it did succesfully transfered my main mail
    account from win OE into something my mac could read, however it failed
    to transfer my second user account which had my newsgroups stuff in it,
    I wasn't to overly concerned though as most of the saved stuff in there
    I can reaccess via Google anyway.
    --
    Jon
    com

  4. #4

    Anno Siegel wrote:

    > [...]

    > > No, now that is simple, at least in my older version of NS on Windows
    > > (yes I will also be porting between platforms). In the mail directory,
    > > there is all the plain ASCII mbox files - no conversion or export
    > > necessary ![/ref]
    >
    > You should take care that a Netscape mail folder is compressed before
    > you use it with another mail program.[/ref]

    You mean "Compact Folders"? Yes, I would have done that, but thanks for
    the reminder - I can imagine how the files would be all mucked up
    without the index files, unless they have just been "Compacted".
    Vaughan Guest

  5. #5

    Jon B wrote:
    > >[/ref]
    > Can it? How do you do that then, I've only got the option to export
    > contacts........[/ref]

    I can't check this myself (although from memory I didn't think Entourage
    could export mail either) - can anybody confirm?

    Maybe it doesn't matter though, because according to the unofficial FAQ
    at http://www.mac512.com/osx/mailfaqie.htm, there is a script at
    http://asu.info.apple.com that allows imports into Mail from Entourage,
    Outlook Express, Emailer, Netscape and Eudora.
    Vaughan Guest

  6. #6

    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    > > [...]
    > >

    > > You should take care that a Netscape mail folder is compressed before
    > > you use it with another mail program.[/ref]
    >
    > You mean "Compact Folders"? Yes, I would have done that, but thanks for
    > the reminder - I can imagine how the files would be all mucked up
    > without the index files, unless they have just been "Compacted".[/ref]

    Older versions of Netscape call it (a bit misleading) "Compress Folder",
    but that's what I mean.

    Anno
    Anno Guest

  7. #7

    Stroller wrote:

    That is not applicable here - these are emails from various accounts
    (some of which no longer exist) that have been downloaded (POP) and
    archived locally. One of the problems with IMAP is that it relies on
    the account existing forever - which when it is a (former)
    work/university account is very unlikely. But I don't want to get into
    a POP versus IMAP debate.

    Vaughan
    Vaughan Guest

  8. #8

    Jon B <com> wrote:

    IIRC all you do is drag 'n' drop your messages, or folders (not nested
    folders), elsewhere (eg. desktop) and they'll be in the standard MBOX
    format.

    Hang on, I best check in case I'm passing on duff info...

    Microsoft say...

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,
    Tony
    --
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England

    (Email address is valid ... for now)
    Tony Guest

  9. #9

    On 19/8/03 4:20 pm, in article bhtfce$l7c$csx.cam.ac.uk, "Vaughan
    Wittorff" <"vww20"nospamcam.ac.uk> wrote:

    > That is not applicable here - these are emails from various accounts
    > (some of which no longer exist) that have been downloaded (POP) and
    > archived locally. One of the problems with IMAP is that it relies on[/ref]

    Nope - the idea is that you set up your *own* IMAP store, upload the
    messages to it, and then download them again on your new mail client.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    Chris Ridd <com> writes:

    > > That is not applicable here - these are emails from various accounts
    > > (some of which no longer exist) that have been downloaded (POP) and
    > > archived locally. One of the problems with IMAP is that it relies on[/ref]
    >
    > Nope - the idea is that you set up your *own* IMAP store, upload the
    > messages to it, and then download them again on your new mail client.[/ref]

    Or get an account somewhere with a proper IMAP, add that account to
    whatever mail client you're already using, and use that client to
    just move all those messages from the client's local store to the
    IMAP one.

    I highly recommend getting e-mail service (ie. IMAP) somewhere
    entirely independent of your ISP, employer, etc.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  11. #11

    Tony Hall <net> wrote:

    > IIRC all you do is drag 'n' drop your messages, or folders (not nested
    > folders), elsewhere (eg. desktop) and they'll be in the standard MBOX
    > format.
    >
    > Hang on, I best check in case I'm passing on duff info...
    >
    > Microsoft say...

    > Hope that helps.
    >[/ref]
    Oh so it does, whether it imports into anything I haven't tested
    though....

    --
    Jon
    com

  12. #12

    net wrote in message news:<panix.com>...

    <evangelism>

    A cheap £50 Pentium running Linux is perfect for this. Those
    low-profile Compaqs seem to turn up pretty cheap - just shove it under
    the stairs & you can store years worth of mail securely, reliably &
    accessible from just about any platform. I'm on an ADSL connection,
    and I access a server like this remotely using the www or my Mother's
    installation of Outlook Distress.

    </evangelism>

    Stroller.
    Stroller Guest

  13. #13

    Chris Ridd <com> wrote in message news:<BB682D56.993CE%com>...

    > > That is not applicable here - these are emails from various accounts
    > > (some of which no longer exist) that have been downloaded (POP) and
    > > archived locally.[/ref]
    >
    > Nope - the idea is that you set up your *own* IMAP store, upload the
    > messages to it, and then download them again on your new mail client.[/ref]

    Exactly. Install Courier-IMAP under OS X or on a Linux box & just drag
    & drop to organise all messages in the same place. They are then
    available to any machine on your LAN or the net (use IMAP over SSL).

    Stroller.
    Stroller Guest