Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX native sound format - Mac Applications & Software

In article <20030630224123.21356.00002132mb-m05.aol.com>, [email]jwolf6589aol.comn[/email]ospam (JWolf6589) wrote: > What is the native sound format that OSX uses? Is it still system 7 sound > files? > > Also can OSX decompress .sit files, does it use that format as its default for > compression? If you want it to. Stuffit's available, just like it has been for the past 15 years or so. > Does OSX use PICT? If you want it to. GraphicConverter, AppleWorks, etc, will read and write PICT. -- Tom "Tom" Harrington Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X. Version 1.4: Best cleanup yet, gets files other ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: OSX native sound format

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  2. #2

    But can OSX still read the system 7 sounds and the Macintosh PICT files?
    JWolf6589 Guest

  3. #3

    << I don't believe OS X lets you listen to .snd files just by double
    clicking them, but there are certainly freeware apps available fro that. >>

    You dont believe? Can you play them with Movie Player?
    JWolf6589 Guest

  4. #4

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > << I don't believe OS X lets you listen to .snd files just by double
    > clicking them, but there are certainly freeware apps available fro that. >>
    >
    > You dont believe? Can you play them with Movie Player?
    Apple replaced Movie Player with QuickTime Player a number of versions
    of QuickTime ago. Anyway, I just checked, and although QT Player won't
    play snd files, iTunes will. That means you'd also have a free means of
    doing a batch conversion to WAV, MP3, AIFF or AAC.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  5. #5

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > Apple replaced Movie Player with QuickTime Player a number of versions
    > of QuickTime ago. Anyway, I just checked, and although QT Player won't
    > play snd files, iTunes will. That means you'd also have a free means of
    > doing a batch conversion to WAV, MP3, AIFF or AAC.
    SoundApp is a dandy bit of freeware that can do batch conversions from
    almost any format to almost any other, but there is no native OSX
    version. It does not appear to work in Classic under OSX either.
    ward mcfarland Guest

  6. #6

    ward mcfarland <wardmegawolf.com> wrote:
    > SoundApp is a dandy bit of freeware that can do batch conversions from
    > almost any format to almost any other, but there is no native OSX
    > version. It does not appear to work in Classic under OSX either.
    It just worked fine here, so it's not clear why it didn't work for you.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 6:53:25 -0500, ward mcfarland wrote
    (in message <1fxgkf4.ztt8ly1rrxykoN%wardmegawolf.com>):
    > Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Apple replaced Movie Player with QuickTime Player a number of versions
    >> of QuickTime ago. Anyway, I just checked, and although QT Player won't
    >> play snd files, iTunes will. That means you'd also have a free means of
    >> doing a batch conversion to WAV, MP3, AIFF or AAC.
    >
    > SoundApp is a dandy bit of freeware that can do batch conversions from
    > almost any format to almost any other, but there is no native OSX
    > version. It does not appear to work in Classic under OSX either.
    Oh, yes it does. I used to use it frequently... when I still had snds.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Dyer Guest

  8. #8

    << Apple replaced Movie Player with QuickTime Player a number of versions
    of QuickTime ago. Anyway, I just checked, and although QT Player won't
    play snd files, iTunes will. That means you'd also have a free means of
    doing a batch conversion to WAV, MP3, AIFF or AAC. >>

    I have Quicktime 5.x, and have Quicktime player. However compared to an older
    68K Movie Player version 2.1, Quicktime player pales. That version has import,
    export features and many other capabilities Quicktime player does not have.
    However I own both versions encase I need one or the other.

    Well for sending OSX users files, it looks like my only options are .aif, .wav,
    or .mp3.

    Sometimes I want a format that only a mac user can open, and .snd and .sps
    (executable sound file created in SoundMaker) are good formats. .qcp sound
    files is also another format many Windows users that lack Eudora cannot open.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  9. #9

    On 2 Jul 2003, JWolf6589 wrote:
    > << Apple replaced Movie Player with QuickTime Player a number of versions
    > of QuickTime ago. Anyway, I just checked, and although QT Player won't
    > play snd files, iTunes will. That means you'd also have a free means of
    > doing a batch conversion to WAV, MP3, AIFF or AAC. >>
    >
    > I have Quicktime 5.x, and have Quicktime player. However compared to an older
    > 68K Movie Player version 2.1, Quicktime player pales. That version has import,
    > export features and many other capabilities Quicktime player does not have.
    > However I own both versions encase I need one or the other.
    You need quicktime pro for the export capabilities (and also for
    fullscreen )

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung Guest

  10. #10

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > Well for sending OSX users files, it looks like my only options are .aif,
    > .wav, or .mp3.
    No, in the very message you replied to, I said that iTunes can play .snd
    files. You even quoted me saying that.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  11. #11

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > It just worked fine here, so it's not clear why it didn't work for you.
    Odd. I tried it again here and it worked fine in Classic. Yesterday
    when I tried it, it hung without drawing its menus or its window.

    Good that such a handy tool is still functional.
    ward mcfarland Guest

  12. #12

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:36:13 -0500, Mike Rosenberg wrote
    (in message <1fxha1w.1bbvsse165mywoN%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> ):
    > JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    >
    >> Well for sending OSX users files, it looks like my only options are .aif,
    >> .wav, or .mp3.
    >
    > No, in the very message you replied to, I said that iTunes can play .snd
    > files. You even quoted me saying that.

    He also went way out of his way to insist that only 3rd-party apps could play
    snds in OS X, after I too said that iTunes would do the job.

  13. #13

    Frederick Cheung <fglc2srcf.DUH.ucam.org> claimed:

    > You need quicktime pro for the export capabilities (and also for
    > fullscreen )

    Well, nowadays you do.
    But those of us who hung onto our old Movie Player 2.5.1 knew what we
    were doing ;-)
    Peter KERR Guest