Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX: Print - error while printing - Mac Applications & Software

I have a rather annoying situation in OSX: Every time I try to print something, I get the usual progress indicator (printing page 1 etc), and then a info box that says: Print - error while printing. And no job shows up in the Print center for the particular printer. This happens in Safari (I reinstalled since I suspected it), iCal etc in MT-Newswatcher and Eudora I do not get the message box, but no job shows up either. Printing from Classic works. (Using 10.2.6, Tek740 Postscript printer) Any suggestions? TIA Marc -- Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland Coaching - ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX: Print - error while printing

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX: Print - error while printing

    In article <bluewin.ch>,
    Marc Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
    wrote:

    Following up on my own post:
    The one thing I did before this happened is installing X11 and
    OpenOffice.

    Marc

  3. #3

    wrote:

    :> I have a rather annoying situation in OSX:
    :> Every time I try to print something, I get the usual progress indicator
    :> (printing page 1 etc), and then a info box that says:
    :> Print - error while printing.
    :>
    :> And no job shows up in the Print center for the particular printer.
    :> This happens in Safari (I reinstalled since I suspected it), iCal etc
    :> in MT-Newswatcher and Eudora I do not get the message box, but no job
    :> shows up either.
    :> Printing from Classic works.
    :>
    :> (Using 10.2.6, Tek740 Postscript printer)
    :>
    :> Any suggestions?
    :>
    :> TIA
    :>
    :> Marc

    Sorry I can't honor your request for an email reply, but it's rude to
    set that in your header and then force me to "unmunge"...

    Anyway, printing from Classic usually won't indicate anything about the
    OS X side one way or another. I'd suggest you run the Disk Utility's
    Repair Permissions option and see if that solves it.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  4. #4

    In article <bluewin.ch>,
    Marc Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
    wrote:

    You might try "Print Center Repair", available through VersionTracker.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Thanks for the pointer.
    Seems to find a problem, but somehow repairing it does not work:

    8:07:21
    Repairing /private/tmp directory and recreating the /tmp symbolic link...
    Repaired /private/tmp directory permissions...
    Created /tmp symbolic link with file permissions rwxrwxr-t...
    Repair of the /private/tmp directory and reconstruction of the /tmp
    symbolic link completed successfully.
    ------------------------
    8:07:35
    Verifying /private/tmp directory and /tmp symbolic link permissions...
    The permissions for the symbolic link /tmp are incorrect!
    They are lrwxr-xr-x, but should be lrwxrwxr-t
    The owner setting for the symbolic link /tmp is incorrect!
    It is 501, but should be 0
    The group setting for the symbolic link /tmp is incorrect!
    It is 20, but should be 80
    Verification complete.
    Problems were found with the /private/tmp and/or the /tmp symbolic link
    permissions.

    Marc

  6. #6

    In article <bluewin.ch>,
    Marc Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
    wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Thanks for the pointer.
    > Seems to find a problem, but somehow repairing it does not work:
    >
    > 8:07:21
    > Repairing /private/tmp directory and recreating the /tmp symbolic link...
    > Repaired /private/tmp directory permissions...
    > Created /tmp symbolic link with file permissions rwxrwxr-t...
    > Repair of the /private/tmp directory and reconstruction of the /tmp
    > symbolic link completed successfully.
    > ------------------------
    > 8:07:35
    > Verifying /private/tmp directory and /tmp symbolic link permissions...
    > The permissions for the symbolic link /tmp are incorrect!
    > They are lrwxr-xr-x, but should be lrwxrwxr-t
    > The owner setting for the symbolic link /tmp is incorrect!
    > It is 501, but should be 0
    > The group setting for the symbolic link /tmp is incorrect!
    > It is 20, but should be 80
    > Verification complete.
    > Problems were found with the /private/tmp and/or the /tmp symbolic link
    > permissions.[/ref]

    It appears that the repair utility cannot make the necessary changes for
    some reason. You might try the more encompassing "Repair Privileges"
    option of Disk Utility and, if that doesn't work, try running
    DiskWarrior on the troublesome volume.

  7. #7

    Default Re: OSX: Print - error while printing - resolved

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > Thanks for the pointer.
    > > Seems to find a problem, but somehow repairing it does not work:
    > > 8:07:21 ...
    > > Repair of the /private/tmp directory and reconstruction of the /tmp
    > > symbolic link completed successfully.
    > > ------------------------
    > > 8:07:35...
    > > Problems were found with the /private/tmp and/or the /tmp symbolic link
    > > permissions.[/ref]
    >
    > It appears that the repair utility cannot make the necessary changes for
    > some reason. You might try the more encompassing "Repair Privileges"
    > option of Disk Utility and, if that doesn't work, try running
    > DiskWarrior on the troublesome volume.[/ref]

    Did Disk Utility "Repair Privileges" several times (had quite a lot of
    errors the first time), did not completely resolve all the problems,
    though the only ones were man pages permissions.

    Ran Print Center Repair again, did not resolve all the issues.

    Restarted the machine ("Restart", not logout) - printing worked again.

    Just for safety I then ran Disk Warrior (2.1, from System 9.2.2) and
    replaced the directory with a fresh one.
    Disk Warrior's worst error found was :

    Disk: "HH1"
    Repaired the Available Disk Space of the Volume Information
    Location: "Desktop"

    The rest was just "Custom icon flags" and such.

    Thank you for the help, Tom.

    Marc