Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX problems - Mac Applications & Software

Did a test today, dropped a few files on a floppy and attempted to open them under OSX. I did not add any extensions to the files, as since I'm using a mac I figure I do not need to. Well, to my horror OSX was unable to open the .pct file without me assigning it an application, and it completely could not open the .snd file, drag and drop clipping file, and AppleWorks file, even though AppleWorks for OSX and AppleWorks for OS classic were installed on the Mac. Attemtpting to launch a classic app and access the floppy ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX problems

    Did a test today, dropped a few files on a floppy and attempted to open them
    under OSX. I did not add any extensions to the files, as since I'm using a mac
    I figure I do not need to. Well, to my horror OSX was unable to open the .pct
    file without me assigning it an application, and it completely could not open
    the .snd file, drag and drop clipping file, and AppleWorks file, even though
    AppleWorks for OSX and AppleWorks for OS classic were installed on the Mac.
    Attemtpting to launch a classic app and access the floppy was impossible. The
    floppy just did not show in the file open menu.

    When I returned the floppy to my OS 9.x mac, the snd and clipping file were not
    openable. Its like oSX destroyed those files. Is this normal behavior? I was
    using OSX 10.1. I sure hope 10.5 does not destroy files, and can open mac
    files with no extensions easily.

    Since newer Macs cannot boot into OS 9.x I believe its very difficult for OSX
    to be as backward compatible as PC's are.

    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Leo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX problems

    Leo:

    It is likely that all of these files would have opened properly if you
    had first launched the appropriate application and then opened them
    from with the application, followed by a "Save As..." -- instead of
    just double-clicking them.

    The thing that's backwards here is your use of floppy disks. They have
    been obsolete for years. As for Mac OS X having backwards file
    compatability, I know that it will open files from as far back as
    System 7, and I suspect that it will go her back than that.

    Ah, that explains your backwardness.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Leo) wrote:

    Most likely will.

    Sorry - live in Minnesota - but you can have Jesse if you want.
    Daniel Guest

  4. #4

    >It is likely that all of these files would have opened properly if you

    Why? I want to just click on them. Is this not possible? Besides what built
    in app can read .snd and text clipping apps on OSX? clpt drag

    Unfortunately I have no choice in the matter. Since MOST of the public
    terminals do not have usable CD-burners, nor do I. The only media exchange
    format that can be used is the floppy disk drive. Of co if all public
    terminals had Zip or CF drives I'd use that in a heartbeat. But then aagin,
    just for transfering a file small files, why go and spend the money on an
    expensive Zip or CF disk, when most of what I was transfering was text and
    small graphics? I've got a ton of floppies, and its used for small files, they
    are my throw away media. For serious work, of co I use other technologies
    such as Zip, ORB and CF.

    --------------

  5. #5

    >> --------------
    >
    >Most likely will.[/ref]

    This thrills my heart. I look forward to him returning to Office.

    >Sorry - live in Minnesota - but you can have Jesse if you want.[/ref]

    Nah I'd rather have a die hard republican such as Arnold.
    --------------

  6. #6

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Leo) wrote:

    None of what lies above is typical behavior, troll.

    Now get back in my killfile.

    Gregory Guest

  7. #7

    Leo <comnojunk> wrote:

    You were told long ago in one of the Mac groups that iTunes reads snd
    files, and you yourself even provided a URL back then to a site
    explaining this.

    Text clippings should have worked for you, so something else is wrong.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1g1h15d.192damrcoxu3aN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > You were told long ago in one of the Mac groups that iTunes reads snd
    > files, and you yourself even provided a URL back then to a site
    > explaining this.
    >
    > Text clippings should have worked for you, so something else is wrong.[/ref]

    You never will learn, Mike.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  9. #9

    Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    I forgot to mention that I already told you this in my response to your
    same post in c.s.m.s. Please (and note that I'm not flaming you yet)
    either use a newsreader that can properly crosspost (e.g.
    MT-Newswatcher) or limit yourself to the most appropriate group, which
    in this case is c.s.m.s. since you're talking about an OS issue. Again,
    please note that I'm not flaming you yet, but posting separately to two
    groups breaks this into two discussions when it should all be in one
    place.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    In article <1g1h2ck.1w1gn6z1r19itiN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > I forgot to mention that I already told you this in my response to your
    > same post in c.s.m.s. Please (and note that I'm not flaming you yet)
    > either use a newsreader that can properly crosspost (e.g.
    > MT-Newswatcher) or limit yourself to the most appropriate group, which
    > in this case is c.s.m.s. since you're talking about an OS issue. Again,
    > please note that I'm not flaming you yet, but posting separately to two
    > groups breaks this into two discussions when it should all be in one
    > place.[/ref]

    Your know in my killfile.
    --
    Posted with Newswatcher for Macintosh!
    Vote Bush for President in 2004!

  11. #11

    In article <teranews.com>,
    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    English a 5th in' langauge, retard?

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:38:06 GMT, Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    > Your know in my killfile.[/ref]

    Might as well put me in there too, then. His point is valid, he
    explained why it's a problem, and is attemtping to help you communicate
    better within the culture that exists here (both csma and Usenet in
    general). Killfiling someone who is trying to help you with several
    things is an odd response.

    Dave Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bkcjn1$74mc$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > > Your know in my killfile.[/ref]
    >
    > Might as well put me in there too, then. His point is valid, he
    > explained why it's a problem, and is attemtping to help you communicate
    > better within the culture that exists here (both csma and Usenet in
    > general). Killfiling someone who is trying to help you with several
    > things is an odd response.
    >

    >[/ref]

    The first person responded appropiately.

    The only people that have trouble with Newsgroups is you. Read the mac
    boards, all you do is cuss at each other, tell people to cut their s
    off, call me jdiaper, and other insulting names. Do you ever see me
    doing this?

    Know who has trouble posting to Usenet?

  14. #14

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:54:33 GMT, Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    > The first person responded appropiately.[/ref]

    Which first person? You left no context.

    It is? How?

    Nope, don't recall doing that...

    I'm certain I've never done those things; I merely made the mistake
    of thinking that you could be educated by someone explaining the errors
    of your ways to you.

    Sorry, ironic overload. Bye now.

    Dave Guest

  15. #15

    In article <teranews.com>,
    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    Nope, I was wrong. English is your 6th langauge, diaper boy!

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  16. #16

    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    Is that the theme for the Twilight Zone I hear? I mean isn't this
    bizarre even for him? After all:

    I nailed him for several of his multiple identity scams and he didn't
    killfile me.

    I called him a liar repeatedly after that and he didn't killfile me.

    I called him a moron when he posted moronic drivel and he didn't
    killfile me.

    I flamed him day and night and he didn't killfile me.

    I practically pleaded with him to turn me in as abusive and he didn't
    killfile me.

    Finally, I give him advice that, if he were to follow it, could get him
    flamed less, and NOW he killfiles me!

    Of course, he'll still see follow-ups to my posts, and I doubt he'll
    remember to killfile me in all of his many IDs...

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  17. #17

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:05:52 -0400,
    Mike Rosenberg (invalid) wrote:

    > Is that the theme for the Twilight Zone I hear? I mean isn't this
    > bizarre even for him? After all:[/ref]

    He's a case study in abnormal psychology. Scratch that. He's several
    case studies in abnormal psychology :-)

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  18. #18

    Bev A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    AH! My trouble is I've been trying to pigeon-hole him into a single
    case study. From what I've read, paranoid schizophrenia comes
    reasonably close to describing much of what we've seen of him, but it
    doesn't quite fit.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  19. #19

    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    If you mean the first person who responded to you, that was Davoud, who
    said, "The thing that's backwards here is your use of floppy disks. They
    have been obsolete for years. As for Mac OS X having backwards file
    compatability, I know that it will open files from as far back as System
    7, and I suspect that it will go her back than that."

    --
    Rivers belong where they can ramble, eagles belong where they can fly...
    Sue Guest

  20. #20

    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    However, I'm not. His advice was sound:

    "Please either use a newsreader that can properly crosspost (e.g.
    MT-Newswatcher) or limit yourself to the most appropriate group, which
    in this case is c.s.m.s. since you're talking about an OS issue.
    Posting separately to two groups breaks this into two discussions when
    it should all be in one place."

    --
    Rivers belong where they can ramble, eagles belong where they can fly...
    Sue Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast