Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX problems with standard Mac OS files - Mac Applications & Software

Did a test today, dropped a few files on a floppy and attempted to open them under OSX. I did not add any extensions to the files, as since I'm using a mac I figure I do not need to. Well, to my horror OSX was unable to open the .pct file without me assigning it an application, and it completely could not open the .snd file, drag and drop clipping file, and AppleWorks file, even though AppleWorks for OSX and AppleWorks for OS classic were installed on the Mac. Attemtpting to launch a classic app and access the floppy ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX problems with standard Mac OS files

    Did a test today, dropped a few files on a floppy and attempted to open them
    under OSX. I did not add any extensions to the files, as since I'm using a mac
    I figure I do not need to. Well, to my horror OSX was unable to open the .pct
    file without me assigning it an application, and it completely could not open
    the .snd file, drag and drop clipping file, and AppleWorks file, even though
    AppleWorks for OSX and AppleWorks for OS classic were installed on the Mac.
    Attemtpting to launch a classic app and access the floppy was impossible. The
    floppy just did not show in the file open menu.

    When I returned the floppy to my OS 9.x mac, the snd and clipping file were not
    openable. Its like oSX destroyed those files. Is this normal behavior? I was
    using OSX 10.1. I sure hope 10.5 does not destroy files, and can open mac
    files with no extensions easily.

    Since newer Macs cannot boot into OS 9.x I believe its very difficult for OSX
    to be as backward compatible as PC's are.

    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Leo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX problems with standard Mac OS files

    Leo <comnojunk> wrote:

    No.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    On 18 Sep 2003 01:17:52 GMT,
    Leo (comnojunk) wrote:

    For you, yes. For the rest of us, no. You're totally incompetent, so
    it is no surprise you couldn't get this work either. And it isn't just
    Macs you're incompetent with. Its obvious from the PC groups that you
    totally failed in getting ActiveSync to work with your Jornada in
    every which way you tried.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  4. #4

    Leo <comnojunk> wrote:

    No, it's not. You never had a chance at opening the snd file that way
    since, as you've been told in the past, you play snd files via iTunes.
    However, attempting that should not have damaged it, and the clipping
    file should have opened, and the AppleWorks file should have as well.

    I'm telling you all this having just finished testing it out here. This
    is not a general OS X problem but appears to be something specific to
    your floppy disk drives or the disk itself.

    Well, I'm running OS X 10.2.6 here. I'd have to question why that Mac
    was updated to at least 10.1.5, but I'm guessing without being able to
    test it directly that the OS version wasn't the cause of your problem.

    This is the type of thing that could easily get you flamed, since it's
    another example of your jumping to conclusions and attacking Apple
    before you've even gotten answers to your questions.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest