Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX Speed on a G3 Pismo? - Mac Applications & Software

I am currently running OS 9.2.2 on a PowerBoook G3 Pismo. As the first step towards going to X I got a firewire drive and have installed pretty much everything I need on it - just to make sure it works and I am not going to be left cursing the day ... So far so good and everything seems to work OK (well almost, no OSX driver for my Canoscan FB1210U but that's another story). However .... The OSX applications seem to run significantly slower in X than in OS9, specifically Word and even things like moving windows around ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX Speed on a G3 Pismo?

    I am currently running OS 9.2.2 on a PowerBoook G3 Pismo. As the first
    step towards going to X I got a firewire drive and have installed
    pretty much everything I need on it - just to make sure it works and I
    am not going to be left cursing the day ...

    So far so good and everything seems to work OK (well almost, no OSX
    driver for my Canoscan FB1210U but that's another story). However ....

    The OSX applications seem to run significantly slower in X than in OS9,
    specifically Word and even things like moving windows around in the
    finder. Start up seems slow in comparison too.

    If (when) I install OSX on the internal drive of the Pismo, can I
    expect things to speed up? In other words is the firewire connection
    what is likely to be slowing things down? I don't want to get
    everything installed on the internal HD just to find I have to revert
    to OS9!

    Thanks for any help and input

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX Speed on a G3 Pismo?

    On 7 Sep 2003 11:12:12 -0500,
    Merlin (com) wrote:

    How much RAM do you have? I am running 10.2.6 on a Pismo G3/400 with
    640 MB RAM, and find it to be perfectly usable. My only complaint
    is that my internal HD is limited in space.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  3. #3

    In article <070920031909049496%com>, Merlin
    <com> wrote:

    Things in OSX are quick to the feel once one progresses to 167 hz bus ala
    1.25 dual MDD or better even the one gig dual is a little sluggish.
    Although the 500 mhz pismo will do ok but a little slow.
    Smokerz Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > How much RAM do you have? I am running 10.2.6 on a Pismo G3/400 with
    > 640 MB RAM, and find it to be perfectly usable. My only complaint
    > is that my internal HD is limited in space.[/ref]

    I'm running 10.2.6 on a 500 mhz Pismo with 640 megs of RAM. It's
    not blazing fast, but I don't consider it slow either. I'm never
    thinking "boy this thing is slow." It's just . . . normal.

    For that matter, I run 10.1.something on a Wallstreet and it's
    just fine, again not lightning speeds but perfectly usable.

    As for internal HD space being limited: I bought a 20 gig hard
    drive for roughly $100 off of Ebay. It works great and was
    extremely easy to install.

    The original poster: I would not expect a great speed boost once
    I was running the Pismo from internal HD compared to the external
    Firewire. In fact, the Firewire might be a bit faster. But I
    doubt you'd notice the difference either way. The reason you are
    noticing speed differences between OS 9 and X is because OS 9 is
    a much simpler operating system, in many ways. Lots more going on
    with OS X. OS X will never be as quick as OS 9 on any given
    machine, although it will be a whole lot more stable.
    sam Guest

  5. #5

    A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    > How much RAM do you have? I am running 10.2.6 on a Pismo G3/400 with
    > 640 MB RAM, and find it to be perfectly usable. My only complaint
    > is that my internal HD is limited in space.
    >
    > Beverly[/ref]

    Good point, sorry, I should have added that. It's a 500MHz Pismo with
    256M memory. HD is 11 G and I agree its small but the fw drive should
    give me breathing room.

    I guess the 256 is going to be a problem? OSX VM is always on I guess
    and the swapping will take an age. Maybe that's the problem I'm
    seeing. It still comes down at least partly to the speed of the HD and
    hence the fw connection. How does fw compare with the internal disk
    for speed?

    Thanks for the reply!

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  6. #6

    In article <070920031909049496%com>,
    Merlin <com> wrote:

    I'm running a Pismo 500MHz w/640MB RAM, 48GB IBM Travelstar internal
    disk (replaced it myself :-)

    The Finder has had speed complaints for awhile. Resizing windows
    especially. This will get better over time (some because Apple is still
    tuning Mac OS X, and some because faster CPUs tend to replace our
    equipement over time :-)

    I do not use Word, so I can not speak to that.

    But with the memory I'm running very confortably and am very happy with
    it on my Pismo. Then again, I do a lot of stuff over the internet and
    the network speed is my limiting factor.

    The internal disk is most likely a 4200RPM disk (when the system was
    manufactured, the slower disk used much less power). Most likely your
    external Firewire disk has a faster speed and maybe even a larger cache
    so I would expect using the Firewire to help not hurt your performance
    (or at least be netrual to your performance).

    If anything, it is memory that will affect your performance. But even
    memory will not change somethings, since Mac OS X will do things
    differently from Mac OS 9. Somethings it will do better, some not so.

    If memory is your problem, then do the following. Run the terminal
    application (Applications -> utilities -> Terminal). Once you have a
    prompt, type 'top' carriage return. Top will display lots of
    information, but the one that is important to you is

    VM: 3.83G + 76.7M 86350(0) pageins, 147262(0) pageouts

    The pageouts line. While using Word, check pageouts. If it increasing
    a lot while running Word? If so, then Word wants more memory than is
    currently available. This would be a good indication that you could use
    more memory.

    NOTE: The above is from a Mac that has been up for over 23 days
    24/7 (it is a server in my office at work and it never goes to sleep),
    so that is an average of 6000 pageout per day. I would expect your
    pageout values to be much smaller, expecially if you have just booted
    into Mac OS X and are testing Word (as well as any other applications
    you think might be stressing memory in your system).

    Those of us that have been using Mac OS X for awhile and like it just
    don't remember what might have been faster on Mac OS 9 any longer. We
    just like that it is a solid reliable operating system that we just put
    to sleep and almost never reboot.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris
    hoping for new laptops
    any day now :-)
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Merlin <com> wrote:

    You would definitely do well by adding more RAM to your computer.
    The minimum requirement is 256MB of RAM for OS X and you need
    extra RAM to run applications comfortably.

    As for your firewire drive, how it compares in speed to your
    Mac's internal drive depends heavily on the firewire drive. Which
    fw drive do you have? If its one of those models where they just
    stuff a slow IDE drive in a case with a firewire converter, it
    is not going to be fast, and possibly even slower than the
    internal drive in your Mac.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  8. #8

    <edu> wrote:

    I agree with you that he should add more RAM, but the official minimum
    requirement is 128MB:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    In article <1g12asa.ji0s8m194olf2N%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > I agree with you that he should add more RAM, but the official minimum
    > requirement is 128MB:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html[/ref]

    I run OSX on a Pismo and I don't believe 128MB would be satisfactory,
    even if it's theoretically possible. 512MB is bare minimum, more is
    better.
    fishfry Guest

  10. #10

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:

    > > I agree with you that he should add more RAM, but the official minimum
    > > requirement is 128MB:
    > >
    > > http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html[/ref]
    >
    > I run OSX on a Pismo and I don't believe 128MB would be satisfactory,
    > even if it's theoretically possible. 512MB is bare minimum, more is
    > better.[/ref]

    Oh well, 396 will do.
    At least it does for me - running Mathematica, FrameMaker (Classic) etc
    And Open Office runs well too.
    But then prices have dropped for RAM since I bought it ...
    Careful with too much RAM(>512MB) - it drains your battery faster.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  11. #11

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Marc Heusser wrote:

    > > I run OSX on a Pismo and I don't believe 128MB would be satisfactory,
    > > even if it's theoretically possible. 512MB is bare minimum, more is
    > > better.[/ref]
    >
    > Oh well, 396 will do.
    > At least it does for me - running Mathematica, FrameMaker (Classic) etc
    > And Open Office runs well too.
    > But then prices have dropped for RAM since I bought it ...
    > Careful with too much RAM(>512MB) - it drains your battery faster.[/ref]
    Although if you don't have enough memory the extra hard disk use from
    swapping will outweigh the energy you save from having less RAM.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  12. #12

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > > Oh well, 396 will do.
    > > At least it does for me - running Mathematica, FrameMaker (Classic) etc
    > > And Open Office runs well too.
    > > But then prices have dropped for RAM since I bought it ...
    > > Careful with too much RAM(>512MB) - it drains your battery faster.[/ref]
    > Although if you don't have enough memory the extra hard disk use from
    > swapping will outweigh the energy you save from having less RAM.[/ref]

    Thank you all for your help. I have ordered more RAM and it should be
    here "real soon now".

    With OS9 I had VM turned off (because I found it too slow) and just
    lived with occasional "out of memory" reports when trying to launch too
    many applications. Without the VM swapping, the speed of the disk is
    likely to be adequate and that of the processor too. I said I have been
    running X on a FW drive and it felt slow, but thinking about that in the
    light of this discussion suggests that it is the swapping activity that
    I have to avoid - hence more memory!

    Thanks again for sharing your experiences and advice.

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  13. #13

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:

    I used 128Meg for over two years and it worked fine. I since
    upgraded to 384Meg and it's ... finer. Either way the only
    time I get excessive swapping is when I expect it: opening
    a hundred-megabyte text file, for example.

    But then again, I don't run Microsoft products.

    Simon Guest