Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX SSH Access - Mac Networking

Hi! I'm running OSX 10.2.8, and I'm trying to allow SSH access. I clicked the button to allow it, and I get this: [almos-computer:~] almo% ssh 168.1.50 ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host :( If you need more info about my computer or installation, let me know. I'm new to OSX (but not UNIX) so I don't know what info is relevant. Almo! -- Almo! Hard Core Game Design...

  1. #1

    Default OSX SSH Access

    Hi!

    I'm running OSX 10.2.8, and I'm trying to allow SSH access. I clicked the
    button to allow it, and I get this:

    [almos-computer:~] almo% ssh 168.1.50

    :(

    --
    Almo!
    Hard Core Game Design

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX SSH Access

    In article <168.1.50>,
    com (Almo) wrote:

    you clicked what button, where? The Sharing system preferences?

    What does your network look like? A router, multiple routers (like a
    Cable/DSL router, and then a separate WiFi router layered on top of
    that?)

    If you have a router did you tell it to forward port 22 to your Mac?

    If you have 2 routers, did you make the 2nd one just bridge WiFi to the
    local ethernet, or is it still acting as a router. If so, did you tell
    the first router to forward port 22 to the 2nd router and then tell the
    2nd router to forward port 22 to your Mac?

    Do you have the firewall enabled? Did you make sure the firewall was
    also set to allow port 22 to pass?

    There is so little information to go on here, I'm making wild guesses.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>, Bob
    Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    > you clicked what button, where? The Sharing system preferences?[/ref]

    Yes, the one in Sharing.

    > What does your network look like? A router, multiple routers (like a
    > Cable/DSL router, and then a separate WiFi router layered on top of
    > that?)[/ref]

    We've got one router, with the Mac and PC connected to that, that goes to
    the cable modem.

    Yes, port 22 is forwarded. I've got and FTP server working, and the port
    forwarding is working on that.

    Only using the router's firewall capabilities, the OSX firewall is off.

    192.168.1.50 is the IP of my mac on the LAN, so I'm not even going out
    onto the internet when I try

    ssh 168.1.50

    If I try from another computer across the internet, I get

    vesta:4% ssh -l almo my.address.hidden
    warning: Authentication failed.
    Disconnected; connection lost (Connection closed by remote host.).

    The domain name points to my computer fine, as the http server responds,
    as does the FTP server.

    More information forthcoming, just tell me what you need to know.

    Almo!

    --
    Almo!
    Hard Core Game Design

  4. #4

    In article <168.1.50>,
    com (Almo) wrote:

    > > you clicked what button, where? The Sharing system preferences?[/ref]
    >
    > Yes, the one in Sharing.

    > > What does your network look like? A router, multiple routers (like a
    > > Cable/DSL router, and then a separate WiFi router layered on top of
    > > that?)[/ref]
    >
    > We've got one router, with the Mac and PC connected to that, that goes to
    > the cable modem.

    > Yes, port 22 is forwarded. I've got and FTP server working, and the port
    > forwarding is working on that.

    > Only using the router's firewall capabilities, the OSX firewall is off.
    >
    > 192.168.1.50 is the IP of my mac on the LAN, so I'm not even going out
    > onto the internet when I try
    >
    > ssh 168.1.50[/ref]

    I assume you only do this from other systems in your house on the local
    LAN, as no one would be able to see this from the internet.

    If you are using 168.1.50 from the internet, you will never get
    there. You can try using http://whatismyip.com/ to find out what the
    internet thinks your IP address is.

    -OR- is this the message you get from the Mac trying to connect to
    itself? By the way, I just tried connecting to myself and it did work.

    Does your router have any kind of logging? I know that I've been able
    to look at some connection logging information with a D-Link Cable/DSL
    router I've used. Maybe the router log can tell you something.

    Is my.address.hidden pointing to your router's IP address as given to
    your router by your ISP? Is this anything like no-ip.com or dyndns.org?
    http://whatismyip.com/ can tell you what the internet thinks your
    router's IP address is. the Mac OS X terminal command "host
    my.address.hidden" can tell you what the domain name is currently
    pointing to, or you can use the Applications->Utilities->Network
    Utility->Lookup to translate a DNS name to an IP address.

    I've used no-ip.com to get a dynamic DNS name I can use to always find
    my Mom's iMac. In fact I'm using SSH to connect to it right now.

    To get SSH access, I enabled "Remote Login" in the Mac OS X Sharing
    System Preferences. I told the D-Link Cable/DSL router to forward port
    22 requests to the fixed IP address I had assigned to my Mom's iMac.
    After I got a no-ip.com client configured and running, I was able to SSH
    to my Mom's iMac without any problems.

    Note: I've done with with my Mom's iMac with both Mac OS X 10.2.* and
    10.3.* releases.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    In <cac.cpqcorp.net> Bob Harris
    wrote:

    This is exactly what I've done. I'm using dyndns.org for this, and I've
    already verified that the address I'm using there works by using FTP and
    HTTP. I can FTP and web browse to my computer just fine. These both
    involve using the dyndns IP mapping, and setting the router to forward a
    port, so I do know how to get these things to work.

    The fact that I can't SSH to the mac from itself says to me that there's
    something horribly wrong.
    Almo! Guest

  6. #6

    In article <168.1.50>,
    com (Almo) wrote:

    This sounds to me like you have an old entry in your home .ssh directory
    under known hosts. The ssh connections checks and refuses to connect
    because there is an entry that doesn't match
    Ron Guest