Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX suddenly slow using Dreamweaver - Macromedia Dreamweaver

"AlaskaDave" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote: > Just recently while working on a site DW has slowed to a crawl when performing simple things like bolding, cutting and pasting..etc. I've had the CPU Monitor Utility open while doing these things and it shows that DW is taking a lot of processor power to execute these simple manuevers. I've tried other programs like Photoshop and InDesign and these are running as fast as normal. > > I'm running MAC OSX Ver. 10.2.6 w/ 1Gb of RAM with Dreamweaver MX Version 6.1 > > I've de-installed DW, making sure to remove all the files according ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: OSX suddenly slow using Dreamweaver

    "AlaskaDave" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Just recently while working on a site DW has slowed to a crawl when performing simple things like bolding, cutting and pasting..etc. I've had the CPU Monitor Utility open while doing these things and it shows that DW is taking a lot of processor power to execute these simple manuevers. I've tried other programs like Photoshop and InDesign and these are running as fast as normal.
    >
    > I'm running MAC OSX Ver. 10.2.6 w/ 1Gb of RAM with Dreamweaver MX Version 6.1
    >
    > I've de-installed DW, making sure to remove all the files according to their FAQ's, and re-installed but it is still slow as molasses!
    >
    > Has this happened to anyone and if so how did you fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    You're not saying which machine and what's the clock frequens, but if
    this happened suddenly, it might be that your OS need some maintenance.
    Go to [url]www.versiontracker.com[/url], find the free application called
    "tail", install, close all other apps and then run all option under
    the "pilot" tab. Reboot.
    Also, these shadows under the windows in OSX grabs a huge chunk of
    memory and speed. I've disabled them, which makes it a bit tricky
    sometimes to see where one window ends and another starts if you have
    many windows open on top of each other, but the increased speed is
    remarkable. To achieve this, get a free app named "shadowkiller" from
    the same source.

    HTH
    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  2. #2

    ....and as a flip of the coin, you'll have MUCH bigger chances of getting
    accurate replies to YOUR question in a new thread...

  3. #3

    Hijacked threads help nobody, however, so I'd vote with the nanny on this
    one....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Lumper Dawgz" <spamblockerno-spam.org> wrote in message
    > In article, Dan Vendel *GOF* wrote:
    >
    > > "MontyRules" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have also been struggling with this, but in Windows 2000 (Pro).
    > > >
    > > > Please can anyone explain what is going on?
    > > >

    > > Monty,
    > >

    > > I know it's not intentionally, but please don't hijack a thread. Since
    > > your OS is different, the solutions will very likely differ for the two
    > > of you. Create a new one and allow the original poster to receive
    > > replies to HIS question in this thread.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Monty
    >
    > Don't bother or worry about Dan. His duties as 'list nanny' get him a
    > wee bit crampy every now and then.
    >
    > HTH

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    Lumper Dawgz wrote:

    > Don't bother or worry about Dan. His duties as 'list nanny' get him a
    > wee bit crampy every now and then.

    With such post, one might guess that you're about that age when you automatically think that any advice comes from a nanny.

    No one will benefit from hijacking threads, so get with the program or
    prove me wrong.

  5. #5

    In article <3F0D486A.70008_the_bottom_of_the_post.com>,
    [email]see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com[/email] says...
    > I know it's not intentionally, but please don't hijack a thread. Since
    > your OS is different, the solutions will very likely differ for the two
    > of you. Create a new one and allow the original poster to receive
    > replies to HIS question in this thread.
    The solution is a patch from Macromedia, which will benefit both
    platforms.

    DWMX flashes an hour glass and spikes at 100% CPU usage on all of my
    systems just by entering text. I can usually get a sentence ahead before
    DWMX catches up.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  6. #6

    Hello,

    This is the original poster. Looks like we've come a bit off topic. Since posting this message I have performed
    several system things such as reseting p-ram, reseting permissions, setting a new user name and nothing
    has worked. My internal CD-ROM drive is temporarly down (replacement one being shipped from Apple) and
    will use disk tools when up and running. Oh, I've also reinstalled DW.

    I'll return to this forum when I've got the new drive installed and have run disc tools.

    The last poster mentions a patch ... is Macromedia aware of this slowing down and has anyone heard of a patch
    coming?

    AlaskaDave webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bekj2t$gq9$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    sights.com says...
    > There is no patch that I am aware of.
    Murray, would you happen to know what Macromedia are doing with my money
    then ? I paid for a working app, not a broken one.
    Should we all just wait for DWMX 2.0 ?

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  8. #8

    Ian:

    I suggest you ask them that question directly....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Ian Firth" <ifdivsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.19780fd4676dfa739896ebforums.macromedia. com...
    > In article <bekj2t$gq9$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    > sights.com says...
    >
    > > There is no patch that I am aware of.
    >
    > Murray, would you happen to know what Macromedia are doing with my money
    > then ? I paid for a working app, not a broken one.
    > Should we all just wait for DWMX 2.0 ?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Firth

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    As quickly as the problem was there, it has now gone away. Can't say exactly what did it due to doing so much. I could be as simply as finishing up with the site I was on and moving to the next.

    I was doing alot of cutting and pasting into a doent then "Saving as..." a new file. Perhaps it was the repeated use of this file ... I don't know.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    AlaskaDave webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    In article <bem7jq$np$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    sights.com says...
    > I suggest you ask them that question directly....
    I would, but Macromedia offers no way for a customer to contact them and
    get a response. I've tried for years. I got an autoresponder once
    though.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  11. #11

    Ian Firth wrote:

    I got an autoresponder once
    > though.

    Wow!
    Since it seems as if you know what you're talking about, have you
    contacted Mike Chambers (who's e.g. in charge of these forums) and asked
    him to patch you through to whoever the matter concerns? I think it's
    worth a try:
    [email]meshmacromedia.com[/email]

  12. #12

    Another way into right people might be to contact Billy Ray and ask him
    the same:
    bray AT macromedia DOT com (take away spaces and turn it into an address)

  13. #13

    In article <3F0FD5FF.2080302_the_bottom_of_the_post.com>,
    [email]see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com[/email] says...
    > Another way into right people might be to contact Billy Ray and ask him
    > the same:
    > bray AT macromedia DOT com (take away spaces and turn it into an address)
    Should I have to go through all that trouble ?
    Shouldn't Macromedia give me some normal support for the $3000+ they
    have of mine ?

    I get tech support questions about games I wrote 10 years ago, and I
    still answer them as soon as I get them.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  14. #14

    In article <3F110DC4.7040706_the_bottom_of_the_post.com>,
    [email]see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com[/email] says...
    > You don't have to mail them. I just did it for you and asked them to
    > contact you and/or to forward the message to whoever a matter like this
    > concerns. Let's see what happens.
    > Now, don't start sending me chocolate boxes....
    Thank you.

    That's two people now, who are more in the loop than I, who have
    attempted to contact Macromedia on my behalf. The PVII guy tried last
    month but I have yet to hear anything back from Macromedia.

    In regards to the autoresponder, I was trying to download my copy of
    DWMX from the Macromedia site last week to re-install temporarily on a
    different system for testing. The Macromedia site said I had downloaded
    it twice, and needed to contact them for another download.

    I did so, and got an autoresponder saying 'Thank you, 2 business days,
    blah, blah, blah.'. Good thing I found the V-Box installer on my system,
    otherwise I would have had nothing to do all weekend.

    BTW, the CPU/registry/memory age bugs happen on my other systems
    too.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  15. #15

    Ian Firth wrote:

    > That's two people now, who are more in the loop than I, who have
    > attempted to contact Macromedia on my behalf. The PVII guy tried last
    > month but I have yet to hear anything back from Macromedia.
    I got a reply from Mike Chambers about six hours ago:

    "Dan,

    Thanks. I will look into this, and forward it to the appropriate people on
    the DW team.

    mike chambers"

    I asked him to mail *you* (i f AT d i v s o f t DOT c o m) and tell, not me.
    Keep us posted....

  16. #16

    In article <3F11CAC1.7030807_the_bottom_of_the_post.com>,
    [email]see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com[/email] says...
    > I asked him to mail *you* (i f AT d i v s o f t DOT c o m) and tell, not me.
    > Keep us posted....
    If I hold my breath, I'll look like a Smurf :)

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  17. #17

    Ian:

    You mean as opposed to how you ordinarily look?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Ian Firth" <ifdivsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.197bf9765a608b589896f2forums.macromedia. com...

    > If I hold my breath, I'll look like a Smurf :)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Firth

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  18. #18

    In article <bevc8g$2ar$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    sights.com says...
    > Ian:
    >
    > You mean as opposed to how you ordinarily look?
    Yes.
    I have the shape, but not the color.

    --
    Regards,