Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX- the slowness is killing me - Macromedia Fireworks

OK, I am really trying to give this product(FWMX04) a chance, but the frustration level is becoming unbearable. I just started working on a very simple comp with two lines of text, 9 large rectangles and a band of 1x1 px black rectangles (about 350 of them on one layer). I go to move the band of 1-pixel rectangles and it takes 30 seconds the first time, 60 seconds the second and now its just hanging. What a piece of cr*p. I have already downgraded my OS from 10.2.8 to 10.2.6 in hopes that things would be better, but no. ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX- the slowness is killing me

    OK, I am really trying to give this product(FWMX04) a chance, but the frustration level is becoming unbearable. I just started working on a very simple comp with two lines of text, 9 large rectangles and a band of 1x1 px black rectangles (about 350 of them on one layer). I go to move the band of 1-pixel rectangles and it takes 30 seconds the first time, 60 seconds the second and now its just hanging. What a piece of cr*p.

    I have already downgraded my OS from 10.2.8 to 10.2.6 in hopes that things would be better, but no. I have reinstalled FW. I have deleted the macrovision folder. I have a G4 500 with 1.5G of RAM. I have Safari, iTunes, Mail and Suitcase running along with FW. The RAM is nowhere near maxed out, but I can see in Terminal that FW is taking up to 80% of CPU even at idle. Dreamweaver and FlashPro are also very slow, but not like Fireworks. Yes, I have already filled out the performance survey.
    I want a solution...or a refund.

    sly one webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX- the slowness is killing me

    One more thing. Out of curiosity, I just forced FW to quit and opened Photoshop 7 (without closing any of the other apps mentioned above). I opened the FW png I was working on and ted what I was doing in FW...Guess what? Photoshop flies. Its snappy. It performs as expected. What gives with Fireworks?

    sly one webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sly One,

    If I were unhappy to the extent that you appear to be, I'd contact MM
    directly by phone and ask for a refund. There is no solution yet for the
    slowness of FWMX2004 on OS X machines.

    John

    "sly one" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > OK, I am really trying to give this product(FWMX04) a chance, but the
    frustration level is becoming unbearable. I just started working on a very
    simple comp with two lines of text, 9 large rectangles and a band of 1x1 px
    black rectangles (about 350 of them on one layer). I go to move the band of
    1-pixel rectangles and it takes 30 seconds the first time, 60 seconds the
    second and now its just hanging. What a piece of cr*p.

    > I have already downgraded my OS from 10.2.8 to 10.2.6 in hopes that things
    would be better, but no. I have reinstalled FW. I have deleted the
    macrovision folder. I have a G4 500 with 1.5G of RAM. I have Safari, iTunes,
    Mail and Suitcase running along with FW. The RAM is nowhere near maxed out,
    but I can see in Terminal that FW is taking up to 80% of CPU even at idle.
    Dreamweaver and FlashPro are also very slow, but not like Fireworks. Yes, I
    have already filled out the performance survey.
    > I want a solution...or a refund.

    John T Guest

  4. #4

    sly one,

    Would it be possible for you to send the file (or a file) the demonstrates the slow down directly to me? afinnell AT macromedia DOT com. Also if you can send the info from you Apple System Profiler that would be help as well. (in /Applications/Utilities/ and File > Save to save the info).

    Is the slow down only when working on a doent? Are there specific tools/actions that cause the slowdown? How about switching between apps or doents? Opening or saving? Any other places?

    Thanks,

    -andy

    --
    Andy Finnell
    Senior Software Engineer

    AndyFinnell webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Just sent the files with a description of how to duplicate. Thanks, Andy.

    sly one webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest