Professional Web Applications Themes

OSX/Win2k connection: Error -36 - Mac Applications & Software

On OSX 10.2.6 I'm trying to connect to a Win2kPro box 10 feet to my right. Just moved the peecee from WinME (where OSX could connect to it just fine) to Win2kPro. I THINK I have all the share-settings on the pc done right. When I try and connect from OSX, there is a long delay, then a little dialog box appears in the upper left corner with the helpful message: "An error has occurred (error = -36)" Any clues as to what this is trying to tell me? I'm guessing it is some sort of priveledge violation or the ...

  1. #1

    Default OSX/Win2k connection: Error -36

    On OSX 10.2.6 I'm trying to connect to a Win2kPro box 10 feet to my right.

    Just moved the peecee from WinME (where OSX could connect to it just fine)
    to Win2kPro. I THINK I have all the share-settings on the pc done right.

    When I try and connect from OSX, there is a long delay, then a little dialog
    box appears in the upper left corner with the helpful message:

    "An error has occurred (error = -36)"

    Any clues as to what this is trying to tell me? I'm guessing it is some sort
    of priveledge violation or the like from the pc side, since all that has
    changed is that os.

    =Alan R.

    Alan Reinhart Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OSX/Win2k connection: Error -36

    Alan Reinhart wrote:
    > Just moved the peecee from WinME (where OSX could connect to it just fine)
    > to Win2kPro. I THINK I have all the share-settings on the pc done right.

    what do you mean by "THINK"? explain what you've done.

    you've created a valid user on the the win2k machine?
    you're trying to connect with that same user (and their correct
    password) from OS X?
    in OS X's 'connect to server' dialogue box, you're typing the correct
    win2k share address?
    ex: smb://win2kIPaddress/sharename

    does the 'SMB/CIFS filesystem authenticaion' dialogue box come up next,
    and you've got the proper workgroup/domain name, then valid username and
    password?

    if yes to all this, try one last thing - on the win2k box, when you
    create your share directory (then go to actually share it) - change the
    directory's share name in the dialogue box, don't accept whatever win2k
    is naming it.

    > "An error has occurred (error = -36)"
    >
    > Any clues as to what this is trying to tell me?
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=107096&sessionID=anonymous|40 72613&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f>

    johnny bobby bee Guest

  3. #3

    in article [email]3EFA062C.4000708excite.com[/email], johnny bobby bee at
    [email]steporeexcite.com[/email] wrote on 6/25/03 4:29 PM:
    > you've created a valid user on the the win2k machine?
    > you're trying to connect with that same user (and their correct
    > password) from OS X?
    > in OS X's 'connect to server' dialogue box, you're typing the correct
    > win2k share address?
    > ex: smb://win2kIPaddress/sharename
    >
    > does the 'SMB/CIFS filesystem authenticaion' dialogue box come up next,
    > and you've got the proper workgroup/domain name, then valid username and
    > password?
    No - didn't do any of that stuff... making TOO many assumptions it look
    like!! I can reboot under WinME and connect like a champ. It looks like I
    need to do those steps you've outlined above. Apparently Win2kPro needs a
    little more serious setup than ME.

    Thanks!

    =Alan R.

    Alan Reinhart Guest

  4. #4

    Alan Reinhart wrote:
    > in article [email]3EFA062C.4000708excite.com[/email], johnny bobby bee at
    > [email]steporeexcite.com[/email] wrote on 6/25/03 4:29 PM:
    >

    >>you've created a valid user on the the win2k machine?
    >>you're trying to connect with that same user (and their correct
    >>password) from OS X?
    >>in OS X's 'connect to server' dialogue box, you're typing the correct
    >>win2k share address?
    >>ex: smb://win2kIPaddress/sharename
    >>
    >>does the 'SMB/CIFS filesystem authenticaion' dialogue box come up next,
    >>and you've got the proper workgroup/domain name, then valid username and
    >>password?
    >

    > No - didn't do any of that stuff... making TOO many assumptions it look
    > like!! I can reboot under WinME and connect like a champ. It looks like I
    > need to do those steps you've outlined above. Apparently Win2kPro needs a
    > little more serious setup than ME.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > =Alan R.

    From vaguely remember posts in other groups (OS/2 Warp related) I
    believe that there is something missing in the Win2K's default
    networking installation that may be related to your problem.

    The item(s) in question are on the Win2K install CD's but are not loaded
    during default installation. As I recall it's something simple (SMB???)
    and easy to install.

    A search of Google's news archive may be of assistance.

    HTH

    Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:16:57 -0400, Kyle <caolmagma.ca> wrote:
    >Alan Reinhart wrote:
    >> in article [email]3EFA062C.4000708excite.com[/email], johnny bobby bee at
    >> [email]steporeexcite.com[/email] wrote on 6/25/03 4:29 PM:
    >>

    >>>you've created a valid user on the the win2k machine?
    >>>you're trying to connect with that same user (and their correct
    >>>password) from OS X?
    >>>in OS X's 'connect to server' dialogue box, you're typing the correct
    >>>win2k share address?
    >>>ex: smb://win2kIPaddress/sharename
    >>>
    >>>does the 'SMB/CIFS filesystem authenticaion' dialogue box come up next,
    >>>and you've got the proper workgroup/domain name, then valid username and
    >>>password?
    >>

    >> No - didn't do any of that stuff... making TOO many assumptions it look
    >> like!! I can reboot under WinME and connect like a champ. It looks like I
    >> need to do those steps you've outlined above. Apparently Win2kPro needs a
    >> little more serious setup than ME.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> =Alan R.
    >>

    > From vaguely remember posts in other groups (OS/2 Warp related) I
    >believe that there is something missing in the Win2K's default
    >networking installation that may be related to your problem.
    >
    >The item(s) in question are on the Win2K install CD's but are not loaded
    >during default installation. As I recall it's something simple (SMB???)
    >and easy to install.
    SMB (Windows Networking) is installed in W2k; there's nothing else to
    install. Right-click a folder, click Sharing, and share it out. Then
    on the Mac connect to it (using the IP address in 10.2.6 does it just
    fine) and you'll be prompted for the sharename to connect to.

    Mac username & password and PC username and password (or user on the
    PC with rights to that share) must be the same.
    foo Guest