Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: Advice on buying a Mac - Macromedia Fireworks

Some people at the PVII forum have suggested I post here, as many Mac users frequent this forum. Basically, I'm a Windows user, but would like to get a Mac and start experimenting. I'm thinking of an iMac G4 with 20" screen and 256 extra RAM. Would Mac-heads agree that's a good choice, or should I go for something different? I don't do a lot of graphics work (I'm mainly a wordsmith and coder), so massive processor power is not necessary. I do all my graphics in Fireworks on a PC, but might eventually get Photoshop for the Mac. -- ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: Advice on buying a Mac

    --
    David Powers
    Co-author, "Foundation Dreamweaver MX 2004" (Friends of ED, Mar 2004)

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Mac

    I am a windows guy for many years, I now have a KVM set-up going on with my
    Mac and my PC. I currently use a Blue and White G3 400MHz w/ 1GB of ram, I
    am running OS X Panther. I would have to say that this is not the fastest
    Mac on the block, but it never gives me any lagging or usability issues. If
    I upgrade, I'm probably looking for a G4 800.

    Jabin

    "David Powers" <com> wrote in message
    users
    RAM.
    Fireworks

    Jabin Guest

  3. #3

    Jabin:

    Which KVM are you using? I currently have the Soho Belkin 4 set KVM and I
    love it, but my Mac runs completely separately....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Jabin Corwin" <org> wrote in message
    my
    If
    > users
    > RAM.
    > Fireworks
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: OT: Advice on buying a Mac

    David--

    I love my iMac. I "only" have a 17" screen, but its a wonderful machine.
    Still, if this was going to be my secondary computer I might also
    consider a PowerBook--world's greatest laptops in my opinion. I nearly
    wept when the grant program I was working for ran out and I had to give
    mine back to the university.

    Kim

    David Powers wrote:

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh
    author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    Kim Guest

  5. #5

    You're a tough guy Kim. But you gotta do something about that wussy
    name.... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Kim Cavanaugh" <com> wrote in message
    news:bvmn62$krj$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    users [/ref]
    RAM. [/ref]
    Fireworks

    > --
    > Kim Cavanaugh
    > author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    > http://www.dw-fw-beginners.com
    > -----
    > Extending Knowledge, Daily
    > http://www.communityMX.com/
    > -------
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Fireworks: http://www.macromedia.com/go/team
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Kimmur the Tartarian?

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  8. #8

    "Kim Cavanaugh" wrote...

    Thanks for the advice, Kim. Your comments, plus considerations of space made
    me go for the Power Book in the end. It's not yet out of the box, but I'm
    looking forward to playing with it after I've got some pressing work out of
    the way.

    BTW, I worked with a guy called Kim for many years. Don't know what Murray's
    got such a hang-up about. What sort of name is Murray anyway?

  9. #9

    David--

    Good choice. But let me get this clear. You've got a new computer and
    it's still IN THE BOX? Oh boy, you have much greater restraint than I do.

    I think Murray is Old English for "He of multiple personalities"...

  10. #10

    Kim Cavanaugh wrote:

    Especially a Power Book! Much more self-discipline than I possess. :-)

    --
    John
    John Guest

  11. #11

    On Tue 03 Feb 2004 04:09:16p, Kim Cavanaugh wrote in macromedia.fireworks:

    Lowland Scots, or maybe Fresian:

    http://www.scotclans.com/clans/Murray/history.html
    Joe Guest

  12. #12

    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    > Lowland Scots, or maybe Fresian:
    >
    > http://www.scotclans.com/clans/Murray/history.html[/ref]

    His last name is Summers, which clan Lindsay claims as sept. :-)

  13. #13

    But note that it's sUmMers, not somers - the bar sinister line.... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    news:bvp74s$205$macromedia.com... [/ref]