Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: Artificial smoke - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Already for some time now I am tinkering with the idea of taking some pictures of smoke drifting down and out of a glass or similar. It has to be this thick smoke, the type you see when frozen C02 is let out inthe open and meets average temperatures. Since I cannot get hold of frozen C02 I have to find artificial smoke some where else. Any body any ideas? Robert...

  1. #1

    Default OT: Artificial smoke

    Already for some time now I am tinkering with the idea of taking some pictures of smoke drifting down and out of a glass or similar.
    It has to be this thick smoke, the type you see when frozen C02 is let out inthe open and meets average temperatures.

    Since I cannot get hold of frozen C02 I have to find artificial smoke some where else. Any body any ideas?

    Robert
    Schraven Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: Artificial smoke

    Hi Robert...I can't imagine that I can help you, but here goes and you may already know this part!

    Choose color in tool box (foreground) that you want the smaoke to be.
    Select the area of the image you want the smoke to appear in...(lasso), and set feather amount...have to experiment for each type ofapplication of course.
    Go to Filters>Render>Clouds. I hope this helps. Dorothy
    D. Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, Robert. Plausible smoke is really hard to achieve, but you might want to try these brushes to see if they'll work for you:

    <http://www.creativemac.com/2003/08_aug/features/download41030811.htm>

    They only work with PE 2, BTW.
    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Robert...I thought I posted one message to you, it hasn't show up. Maybe this info will help.

    Choose color you wish the smoke to be as the foreground color in the tools panel. Using lasso make selection of area in image you wish to cover with smoke. Set a number of degrees of feathering you want to use...experimenting!

    Go to Filter>Render>Clouds....hope this works for you. Dorothy
    D. Guest

  5. #5

    Dorothy and Barbara,

    Thank you both for your reply.

    I will try the feathering and the web site.
    If you would think away from PE2 do you think I could buy something that would actually create smoke?

    Robert
    Schraven Guest

  6. #6

    It's too bad you didn't mention this a month ago, Robert. I could have gotten you some great shots from the forest fires! :)
    Beth Guest

  7. #7

    Robert, it isn't actually smoke, but in the filter plug in "Mystical lighting" there is something called "mist". And mist has some similarities to smoke....

    Leen
    Leen Guest

  8. #8

    Robert, have you tried Googling? Maybe magic-trick suppliers will have something useful.
    Lou Guest

  9. #9

    Robert,

    I have a small, electric nebulizer, designed to produce fog in table-top
    fountains... it works rather well, too.

    You simply submerge it and plug it in.

    I don't recall the cost, exactly, but believe it was ~US$40, in one of the
    "nature" type stores.

    The mist is heavier than air, though, so it won't trail upwards like
    smoke... but it is neat to watch it spilling over the edge of a container,
    and flowing down.

    Byron

    Byron Guest

  10. #10

    Robert --
    Frozen CO2 may be easier to find than you think -- I believe you are in Europe, but here in the US most ice cream stores stock dry ice (frozen CO2). They carry it primarily so that people whose power goes out can keep food frozen a bit longer, but I found it very useful for all sorts of science projects my kids worked on.
    Bob Warren
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Hello Beth, Leen, Lou, Byron and Bob,

    It has to be falling smoke so may be Leen's filter may do the trick although I am prone to follow up Byron's suggestion and will look into Bob's remark about dry ice. If the latter is sold in Holland I will be able to get it.
    Lou's idea to go to a magician's store fits in with this.

    Thank you all for you ideas and suggestions, they are a wonderful collage of creativity.

    Robert
    Schraven Guest