Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM - PERL Beginners

------------------------------------------------ On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:11:58 -0500, "Dan Muey" <dmueyinfiniplex.com> wrote: > > <sarcasm> > That reminds me Jenda, I've keep getting mail from you, > I've been meaning to talk to you about that! > </sarcasm> > > For those of you who don't get that you simply must check out > the Mail::Sender module. It's awesome! Oh and this might help > explain my little sarcasm bit: > [url]http://jenda.krynicky.cz/SPAM.html[/url] > "Would you sue the manufacturer if someone hits your head with their hammer? Even if the person did it intentionaly?" Actually I think it has gotten to ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: RE: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:11:58 -0500, "Dan Muey" <dmueyinfiniplex.com> wrote:

    > <sarcasm>
    > That reminds me Jenda, I've keep getting mail from you,
    > I've been meaning to talk to you about that!
    > </sarcasm>
    >
    > For those of you who don't get that you simply must check out
    > the Mail::Sender module. It's awesome! Oh and this might help
    > explain my little sarcasm bit:
    > [url]http://jenda.krynicky.cz/SPAM.html[/url]

    "Would you sue the manufacturer if someone hits your head with their hammer? Even if the person did it intentionaly?"

    Actually I think it has gotten to a point in the US that they *will* sue you for this :-) in fact I think the DMCA requires it. And you will probably get hit with a license fee because Cavemen 'R' Us has a patent on using a blunt object to injure or kill a creature that can be eaten.

    [url]http://danconia.org[/url]
    Wiggins D'Anconia Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: RE: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM

    Perl is the solution ;)

    I build an automatic system. This read mails from spam folder of my
    client, update a list with bad ip's (spamers) and update firewall with
    new ips. Now the attack to my system is very small. I have more of 1000
    senders checked and with reyect connections to port 25.

    thanks to Perl !

    --
    La riqueza consiste mucho más en el disfrute que en la posesión".
    Aristóteles (384 a.C.-322 a.C.)

    German Aracil Boned Guest

  3. #3

    From: german aracil boned <germantecnoxarxa.com>
    > Perl is the solution ;)
    >
    > I build an automatic system. This read mails from spam folder of my
    > client, update a list with bad ip's (spamers) and update firewall with
    > new ips. Now the attack to my system is very small. I have more of
    > 1000 senders checked and with reyect connections to port 25.
    I don't think you want to do that. At least without removing the IPs
    from the list after a few days.

    The point is ... the single IP may be a whole company behind a
    firewall, it may be a mail server used by loads of people. And I
    don't think the fact that someone in that company ever had a virus
    should mean you do not want to accept any email from anyone else in
    the company.

    Jenda
    ===== [email]JendaKrynicky.cz[/email] === [url]http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz[/url] =====
    -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

    Jenda Krynicky Guest

  4. #4

    --On Tuesday, September 23, 2003 16:32 +0200 german aracil boned
    <germantecnoxarxa.com> wrote:
    > Perl is the solution ;)
    >
    > I build an automatic system. This read mails from spam folder of my
    > client, update a list with bad ip's (spamers) and update firewall
    > with new ips. Now the attack to my system is very small. I have
    > more of 1000 senders checked and with reyect connections to port 25.
    >
    > thanks to Perl !
    Um, please don't do this. If this were regular spam we were talking
    about that would be a good idea, but the current deluge is from a
    virus. If you are creating the blacklist you say you are then you
    are blocking people *who you have emailed in the past.* Or, at least
    people who have your email address on their machine somewhere, due to
    mailing lists, address books, web pages they've viewed, etc.

    In other words, you are blocking you friends. (Admittedly, friends
    who can't run a virus checker, but it is still people who know you.)

    Daniel T. Staal

    This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
    the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
    local copyright law.
    Daniel Staal Guest

  5. #5

    If you want to create a good filter solution do the following:

    1. Automatically create whitelists -- when anyone from behind your
    server sends out a message add the e-mail being sent to to the
    whitelist. Then you know addresses which can be trusted.

    2. Filter all messages through something like spamassasin which will get
    rid of most of the spams.

    3. Filter the text of commonly known viruses -- if it's in the message
    body quarantine it.

    4. Any messages with the To: or CC: or BCC: fields not containing the
    users e-mail address should be sent to a folder on their machine
    entitled "probable spam". Newsletters, mailing lists, and similar
    things will be placed there, so you should have a way for users to add
    newsletters and mailing lists to the White list (i.e. a special white
    list which allows you to check if the To: CC: or BCC: contains the
    mailing list name).

    5. When all is said and done don't delete anything -- have feedback and
    look to see what is common in spams which get through and what is common
    in good mail that doesn't.

    -Dan

    Dan Anderson Guest