Professional Web Applications Themes

OT CD labeling software - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, I realized this is OT here, but perhaps someone has a tip for me anyway .... we have to print 50 CD case labels for a client. We've tried "Stomper", Avery, printing them out on their respective software, we've tried Publisher with Avery Labels and some "out there" freeware and such ... we can't get the &^*%^ labels where they are suppose to be, perfecly lined-up. The Printer, a HP all-in-one V90, is calibrated and prints every other label format perfectly, just this defeats us completely. Because the client needs high gloss, full color labels we already wasted plenty ...

  1. #1

    Default OT CD labeling software

    Hi,
    I realized this is OT here, but perhaps someone has a tip for me anyway .... we have to print 50 CD case labels for a client. We've tried "Stomper", Avery, printing them out on their respective software, we've tried Publisher with Avery Labels and some "out there" freeware and such ... we can't get the &^*%^ labels where they are suppose to be, perfecly lined-up. The Printer, a HP all-in-one V90, is calibrated and prints every other label format perfectly, just this defeats us completely. Because the client needs high gloss, full color labels we already wasted plenty of dollars on ink and labels ... since we need only 50 labels per design a professional service is not very useful.
    Does anyone out there have any good experience with some software doing this? The challenge is that the labels for the CD's are full color all the way to the edge, we can't get it to print without a white line somewhere.

    Thanks
    Barbara

    Barbara Picard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT CD labeling software

    Overprint it...ie overlap the edge of the label just a little bit on both
    the inside and the outside.

    HTH;

    Amy

    "Barbara Picard" <infohawkspoint.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Amy Blankenship Guest

  3. #3

    Barbara Picard wrote:
    > Hi, I realized this is OT here, but perhaps someone has a tip for me
    > anyway ... we have to print 50 CD case labels for a client. We've
    > tried "Stomper", Avery, printing them out on their respective
    > software, we've tried Publisher with Avery Labels and some "out
    > there" freeware and such ... we can't get the &^*%^ labels where
    > they are suppose to be, perfecly lined-up. The Printer, a HP
    > all-in-one V90, is calibrated and prints every other label format
    > perfectly, just this defeats us completely. Because the client needs
    > high gloss, full color labels we already wasted plenty of dollars on
    > ink and labels ... since we need only 50 labels per design a
    > professional service is not very useful. Does anyone out there have
    > any good experience with some software doing this? The challenge is
    > that the labels for the CD's are full color all the way to the edge,
    > we can't get it to print without a white line somewhere.
    Create bleeds that go at least 1/16" outside of the labels cut lines. I
    was able to print very nice labels that way out of Illustrator 10 on an
    HP 840C inkjet printer. You won't be able to get perfect registration
    when printing on 8 1/2" x 11" sheets on a consumer grade printer but
    with bleeds you'll be able to avoid white gaps.

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Bergeron Guest

  4. #4

    "Stéphane Bergeron" wrote ...
    > Create bleeds that go at least 1/16" outside of the labels cut lines. I
    > was able to print very nice labels that way out of Illustrator 10 on an
    > HP 840C inkjet printer. You won't be able to get perfect registration
    > when printing on 8 1/2" x 11" sheets on a consumer grade printer but
    > with bleeds you'll be able to avoid white gaps.

    Hi,
    Thanks for the answers ... we had the bleed idea, unfortunately does the software (Avery as well as Stomper) resize the image and fit it into the screen layout, no matter what size you make the image.

    Barbara

    Barbara Picard Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:51 -0400, "Barbara Picard"
    <infohawkspoint.com> wrote:

    >"Stéphane Bergeron" wrote ...
    >> Create bleeds that go at least 1/16" outside of the labels cut lines. I
    >> was able to print very nice labels that way out of Illustrator 10 on an
    >> HP 840C inkjet printer. You won't be able to get perfect registration
    >> when printing on 8 1/2" x 11" sheets on a consumer grade printer but
    >> with bleeds you'll be able to avoid white gaps.
    >>

    >Hi,
    >Thanks for the answers ... we had the bleed idea, unfortunately does the software (Avery as well as Stomper) resize the image and fit it into the screen layout, no matter what size you make the image.
    >
    >Barbara
    Set up the page in Photoshop or Illustrator or whatever you're using
    to design the image in the first place. That way you know exactly
    what you're going to get.

    On a similar topic, does anyone have a source for labels for those
    little CDs? The round ones that hold about 185MB?

    Win
    --------------
    Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    Words Plus
    [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]
    Win Day Guest

  6. #6

    Barbara Picard wrote:

    > Hi, Thanks for the answers ... we had the bleed idea, unfortunately
    > does the software (Avery as well as Stomper) resize the image and fit
    > it into the screen layout, no matter what size you make the image.
    Then you should use a full fledged drawing application instead of the
    Avery or Stomper software. I used Illustrator the last time I printed CD
    labels but if you have Studio MX you have access to FreeHand which will
    do the job just as well.

    HTH!

    Stéphane

    Stéphane Bergeron Guest

  7. #7

    > On a similar topic, does anyone have a source for labels for those
    > little CDs? The round ones that hold about 185MB?
    We bought some at MicroCenter.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:27:05 -0500, "darrel"
    <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote:
    >> On a similar topic, does anyone have a source for labels for those
    >> little CDs? The round ones that hold about 185MB?
    >
    >We bought some at MicroCenter.
    >
    >-Darrel

    Thanks, Darrel. Unfortunately, their site says they don't ship to
    Canada.

    Win
    -----------------

  9. #9

    "Win Day" <windayREMOVETHISwordsplus.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:27:05 -0500, "darrel"
    > <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote:
    >
    > >> On a similar topic, does anyone have a source for labels for those
    > >> little CDs? The round ones that hold about 185MB?
    > >
    > >We bought some at MicroCenter.
    > >
    > >-Darrel
    > >

    > Thanks, Darrel. Unfortunately, their site says they don't ship to
    > Canada.
    >
    > Win
    > -----------------
    > Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    > Words Plus
    > [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    > [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]

    Hi ,

    for templates I think you can go at [url]www.neato.com[/url] or if you have an ftp or
    good conection I can send you the psd files which are about 2.5 megabytes .
    I hope this will be of any use to you.

    Regards ,

    Eduard

    [email]edybuzau.ro[/email]

    Biteanu Eduard Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:47:49 +0300, "Biteanu Eduard" <edybuzau.ro>
    wrote:

    >"Win Day" <windayREMOVETHISwordsplus.net> wrote in message
    >news:r8ggivk599pgga7lhstkb861lpls9itkrp4ax.com.. .

    >> >We bought some at MicroCenter.
    >> >
    >> >-Darrel
    >> >

    >> Thanks, Darrel. Unfortunately, their site says they don't ship to
    >> Canada.
    >>
    >> Win
    >> -----------------
    >> Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    >> Words Plus
    >> [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    >> [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]
    >

    >Hi ,
    >
    >for templates I think you can go at [url]www.neato.com[/url] or if you have an ftp or
    >good conection I can send you the psd files which are about 2.5 megabytes .
    >I hope this will be of any use to you.
    >
    >Regards ,
    >
    >Eduard
    >
    >edybuzau.ro

    Thanks, Eduard, but I'm not looking for templates, I'm looking for
    labels! Specifically, the ones for those little round CDs that hold
    185MB (at least that's what the Memorex ones I have hold).

    So far I haven't found a supplier in Canada or who will ship to
    Canada.

    Win
    ----------------

  11. #11

    Does it matter whether they are matte or glossy labels?

    Cheers,
    Sam

    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:47:49 +0300, "Biteanu Eduard" <edybuzau.ro>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Win Day" <windayREMOVETHISwordsplus.net> wrote in message
    > >news:r8ggivk599pgga7lhstkb861lpls9itkrp4ax.com.. .

    > >> Thanks, Darrel. Unfortunately, their site says they don't ship to
    > >> Canada.
    > >>
    > >> Win
    > >> -----------------
    > >> Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    > >> Words Plus
    > >> [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    > >> [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]
    > >

    > >Hi ,
    > >
    > >for templates I think you can go at [url]www.neato.com[/url] or if you have an ftp
    or
    > >good conection I can send you the psd files which are about 2.5 megabytes
    ..
    > >I hope this will be of any use to you.
    > >
    > >Regards ,
    > >
    > >Eduard
    > >
    > >edybuzau.ro
    > >

    > Thanks, Eduard, but I'm not looking for templates, I'm looking for
    > labels! Specifically, the ones for those little round CDs that hold
    > 185MB (at least that's what the Memorex ones I have hold).
    >
    > So far I haven't found a supplier in Canada or who will ship to
    > Canada.
    >
    > Win
    > ----------------
    >
    > Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    > Words Plus
    > [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    > [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]

    Sam Poikail Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:24:30 -0400, "Sam Poikail"
    <indigo_wolfhotmail.com> wrote:
    >Does it matter whether they are matte or glossy labels?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Sam

    Probably not, as long as they're for a colour bubblejet.

    Do you know of a Canadian distributor?

    Win
    ------------------

  13. #13

    Avery Product # #8852

    AfterBurner Matte Mini CD Labels
    Assorted Shapes, Matte White, InkJet, Permanent-Adhesive, Print-to-the-Edge,
    15 Sheets, 4 Labels per Sheet, 60 Total Labels

    Available at Staples.com or most Canadian Staples stores (others might have
    to special order).

    Staples Part # is AVE8852

    Hope that helps

    Cheers,
    Sam

  14. #14

    1) Go to [url]http://www.buyersindex.com/search.htm[/url]

    2) Type "mini cd label" into the "Search for products, keywords or company
    name" text box.

    3) Select "Canada" or "Worldwide" in the "Ship To" category.

    4) Add any other filter criteria that is important to you.

    5) Click the search button and you should be able to find a list of
    distributors/retailers that will be able to help you.

    Let me know if that helps.

    Cheers,
    Sam

  15. #15

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:32:34 -0400, "Sam Poikail"
    <indigo_wolfhotmail.com> wrote:
    >1) Go to [url]http://www.buyersindex.com/search.htm[/url]
    >
    >2) Type "mini cd label" into the "Search for products, keywords or company
    >name" text box.
    >
    >3) Select "Canada" or "Worldwide" in the "Ship To" category.
    >
    >4) Add any other filter criteria that is important to you.
    >
    >5) Click the search button and you should be able to find a list of
    >distributors/retailers that will be able to help you.
    >
    >Let me know if that helps.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Sam
    Thanks, Sam! Just goes to show I don't shop on the web much -- I had
    never heard of Buyers' Index.

    Win

  16. #16

    Glad it finally worked out. :o)