Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: Elements chat room - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi all, It just occured to me (I'm not too bright, you know), that with as much time as people spend here a PSE chat room would be a great real-time way to help folks who post on these boards. I've been playing around with iChat AV recently and it's very simple to start a chat room. I believe any AIM compliant chat client (MSN Messanger) can participate. All we'd have to do, is agree on a name for the room ahead of time. What do you all think? Joe...

  1. #1

    Default OT: Elements chat room

    Hi all,

    It just occured to me (I'm not too bright, you know), that with as much time as people spend here a PSE chat room would be a great real-time way to help folks who post on these boards. I've been playing around with iChat AV recently and it's very simple to start a chat room. I believe any AIM compliant chat client (MSN Messanger) can participate.

    All we'd have to do, is agree on a name for the room ahead of time.

    What do you all think?

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: Elements chat room

    No, this was for something else. But the spirit is the same. To get help,
    at the end, it would have required a staff person (experienced user) to open
    a private window with a user while the main room remained for casual
    conversation.

    We could try it. We could go on Undernet, open a new permanent IRC room,
    configure a bot to maintain the room, and name a few ops with experience to
    maintain the place a safe site for newcommers. It's possible. But this
    forum is so much more easier ;)

    Again, if you want to start one, I'll support you.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    Ok Ray, let's see what others have to say.

    I don't know the first thing about setting up IRC chats, bots or Undernet (never even heard of that one), so I could only particpate as a chatter. I suggested AIM compliant because it's just too easy to set up and use.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  4. #4

    Joe,

    I'm having a rough time keeping up with everything here - and I don't -, so I would prefer just to stay here. :-)

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  5. #5

    Joe,

    The undernet thing was only another way to maintain a permanent chat room.
    Your idea is much simpler, believe me!

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  6. #6

    No problem Juergen. It would be strictly voluntary.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  8. #8

    Don't know where the double post came from, sorry...
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  9. #9

    Joe,

    I understand that. However, if there are interesting conversations going on between all these folks that are usually here, now at two places, I wouldn't want to miss out on the other place either. If everybody stayed here, I wouldn't have that problem. :-)

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  10. #10

    I'm with Juergen. This forum is my priority, but there's another one I try to visit, too. Sometimes it gets slighted, or - more often - all the other stuff I have to do gets the short end of the time stick when I spend too much time on the internet. I like it the way it is. I can follow posts and learn good stuff, I can be helpful (sometimes), and I can break up the day with a little chit chat. But all in the same place. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  11. #11

    JOE,
    I have had no luck with "Chat Rooms" even if they are also Help Rooms. If you all set it up I'll be around but I depend on this PSE Forum for hints and help. There are some interesting Chats here too.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  12. #12

    I agree, I have never bothered with Chat rooms.

    I love the way this forum is set up, I can come back anytime, re-read and study posts. I print some also, and insert them into my PSE books. And above all, not miss anything because I don't happen to be in my computer room at a certain time.
    I really rely on this forum just the way it is.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  13. #13

    My feelings are mixed on the question.

    This is a terrific bunch of people, any/all of whom I would, without a doubt, enjoy chatting with.

    Here's why I'm hesitant, though... it is inevitable that a question regarding PE will come up and be answered during a chat session.

    If the same question is posed and answered in the forum, the knowledge is persistent and available at any time, to anyone. In the chat room, though, the knowledge is only available to those present at the moment.

    The past posts and archives of this forum have been invaluable to me. As I gain more understanding of PE2, I end up with more and more questions. I can't count the number of times I've been able to "self serve" by searching the forum.

    I guess I would lean toward not having a chat room, based on my fear of diluting the value of the forum. But, if one IS established, I would certainly attend.

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest