Professional Web Applications Themes

OT: EU might fine Microsoft billions - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Just now in a Swedish tabloid, an article translated to English and edited by yours truly: A commission for the Europan Union sent a doent today to MS, accusing them of abusing their dominating role. The commission has been working for four (!) years, and believe they have a solid case. In theory, the commission can fine a company for 10% of their annual turnover depending on the severity of the offense. Last years result for MS was 32.19 billion USD. Cheers, -- Dan Vendel - *GOF* http://www.vendel.info Contact me directly by clicking here: http://contact.vendel.info Formmail tutorial: http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html Nested table ...

  1. #1

    Default OT: EU might fine Microsoft billions

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    http://www.vendel.info
    Contact me directly by clicking here:
    http://contact.vendel.info
    Formmail tutorial:
    http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html
    Nested table demonstration:
    http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/

    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: EU might fine Microsoft billions

    Dan Vendel *GOF* wrote:

    Last years result for

    Sorry, they make a lot of $$, but not *that* much. The *result* wasn't
    32.19 billions, but the *turnover*.

  3. #3

    Thanks Dan! Veeeeery interesting. They are a monopoly if I've ever seen
    one :-)
    -Dana

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com> wrote in
    message news:bgu849$lc$macromedia.com...

    > Sorry, they make a lot of $$, but not *that* much. The *result* wasn't
    > 32.19 billions, but the *turnover*.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    > http://www.vendel.info
    > Contact me directly by clicking here:
    > http://contact.vendel.info
    > Formmail tutorial:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html
    > Nested table demonstration:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/
    >[/ref]

    Dana Guest

  4. #4

    Dana:

    I agree with you. We must do something about that Swedish monopoly.

    Since Microsoft has more money than the GNP of Sweden, I doubt that anything
    will come of this at all.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Dana" <com> wrote in message
    in

    > > Sorry, they make a lot of $$, but not *that* much. The *result* wasn't
    > > 32.19 billions, but the *turnover*.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    > > http://www.vendel.info
    > > Contact me directly by clicking here:
    > > http://contact.vendel.info
    > > Formmail tutorial:
    > > http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html
    > > Nested table demonstration:
    > > http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    irvin:

    Me too. Microsoft has and will continue to change my life in some very
    productive ways. Whatever they are doing is OK with me....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "irvin" <com> wrote in message
    > anything
    >
    > Doesn't get any more factual than that...
    >
    > I love my windows!
    >

    > --
    > irvin
    > http://www.pixel69.com
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    Hmmm - that's a hard one to answer. Yes. Errr ... no. 8)

    The point is, I am doubtful that this is more than muscle flexing. There
    was no pejorative message intended.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com> wrote in
    message news:bgughv$lc$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    anything

    > Huh?
    > Are you sober?
    > Or just trolling?
    >
    > --
    > Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    > http://www.vendel.info
    > Contact me directly by clicking here:
    > http://contact.vendel.info
    > Formmail tutorial:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html
    > Nested table demonstration:
    > http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    There

    Yes, wasn't that obvious?

    MS has been offered to respond, and as I understand from the article,
    they have to do that *very* convincingly, or next step will be a formal
    allegation.

    Bearing in mind that the EU anti-trust regulations (or whatever the
    English word is) in some cases are much stiffer than the US laws, the
    continuing story will be interesting.

    But what that has to do with the Swedish GNP (which, by the way, is
    approximately USD 300 billion) beats me....

  8. #8

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Did you think I was upset?
    Don't worry.
    But for the records: I *am* having a beer and I *am* watching a movie
    (Carlito's way, Pacino) and chilling out as I'm finally alone awake
    while the rest of the clan is snoozing away, counting sheep or whatever....

  9. #9

    Honestly Murray, I'm not trying to start anything - but IMO...

    MS has prevented you from experiencing the dramatic life changes that
    technology might have offered you had their business model not been based
    upon squashing any innovation that does not bear the MS brand.

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message
    > > anything
    > >
    > > Doesn't get any more factual than that...
    > >
    > > I love my windows!
    > >

    > > --
    > > irvin
    > > http://www.pixel69.com
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Les Guest

  10. #10

    I'm happy with my windows =) If I sometimes get bored with it I'll
    reboot and select my second OS which is RH..

    Monopoly or not but still I think (NOTE: Only my opinnion) those
    4 years of reseacrh could have been used in something more usefull.

    -----------------------
    ville
    http://www.supahero.net
    -----------------------

    Ville Guest

  11. #11

    Ville Leivo wrote:

    Hmm.. I believe the issue isn't about the quality their products, which
    might be good as gold, but rather that it's not very agreeable nor
    beneficial for anyone (except, in this case, MS themselves) when one
    player is dominating a market to the extent that MS does. I dare believe
    that most people agree on this (unless they're against the reasons for a
    free market economy).

    Being dominating isn't a problem per se, but it is when a line is
    crossed and anti-trust regulations are violated. And that's what EU is
    trying to determine. It'll be interesting to see what happens and how MS
    will respond.

    Four years might appear to be a long time, but I assume it is as with
    other assignments like this: it's a part time job for people.

    kippis!

  12. #12

    So, according to Sweden, just how has Microsoft been abusing their
    dominating role?

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------
    Victoriana | http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/vic/index.htm
    Theme Pack 03 - Club | www.projectseven.com |mm2| themes
    Contributor *PVII Foundations* www.projectseven.com
    Co-author *Playing with Fire* www.playingwithfire.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team
    -----------------

    Linda Guest

  13. #13

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    I don't know, Linda. The article didn't cover that. But I think anyone
    can make a few guesses that'll come pretty close, no?

    BTW: Sweden has about 2.3% of the 380 million people represented in EU,
    and it's EU, not Sweden, who sent the doent to MS, so I don't
    understand your referral.

  14. #14

    On 8/8/2003 8:40 AM, Dan Vendel *GOF* wrote:

    > Huh?
    > That was a joke, right?[/ref]

    I honestly don't have a clue as to why the EU might fine Microsoft
    billions.

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------

  15. #15

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message

    That's only a part of it, Linda.

    Another factor is that some people (and, apparently, some countries now)
    find it "trendy" to bash Microsoft.

    I don't really know how good my life would be if Microsoft didn't have this
    "monopoly" (or if I had married my college sweetheart, for that matter).

    But I do know that things are pretty nice with Microsoft's "monopoly"
    around...

    --
    irvin
    http://www.pixel69.com

    irvin Guest

  16. #16

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    As I wrote in the first post:

    Because EU believe that MS is abusing their position. The word "abusing"
    probably refers to the EU anti-trust regulations (my comment:
    "anti-trust" is likely the wrong word since a "trust" means some kind of
    "co-operation" or "group". I believe the equivalent in EU translates to
    "competition" regulations. But as I assume that most people here are
    familiar with the former term, I used that).
    However, I'm not a spokesperson (or "ombudsman", a word from the Swedish
    language) and can only quote the article.

    On a side note: The EU regulations could be pretty harsh sometimes and
    by all means, they're not targeting non-EU organizations, but rather the
    other way around.

    Example: Sweden with only 9 million people and kind of "remote" from the
    rest of Europe is having problems with the economy. If we can strengthen
    our industry even a fraction, we really need it. A couple of years ago,
    our two truck manufacturers Volvo and Scania tried to merge in order
    meet the competition but was stopped by EU. In that case, the
    "domination" wouldn't have been even near to what MS has today.

    But as I wrote, this will be interesting....

  17. #17

    Just cause jury and judges can be bought in US doesn't mean they didn't
    abuse thier dominating role here. They are a very good illustration of
    how the US is following Ancient Romes fall. The rich buy the right to do
    whatever they want whether it is right or not and whether it is for the
    good of the country or not.

    Microsoft and Walmart are the 2 most ruinous corporations in America!

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    --

    Tim Litwiller
    http://www.mxcommunity.org

    Tim Guest

  18. #18

    irvin wrote:

    I strongly doubt that this is "Because they see Microsoft as a symbol
    for American power, money and cultural values."

    Neither do I think they do it because it's "trendy".

    But since you apparently is an authority in the subject, which I'm
    definitely not, you might want to share your expertise and elaborate? ;-)

  19. #19

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <com>

    The burden of proof in on the s like you, Dan.

    You are the one saying there's something wrong. What is it?

    Everyone else seems to be happy with how things are.

    --
    irvin
    http://www.pixel69.com

    irvin Guest

  20. #20

    irvin wrote:

    That would be you mistaking yourself for everybody.

    --
    Jerry Baker

    Automatic unique ALT & TITLE text for each image: Insert Image+
    Switch doctypes on the fly with a mouse click: Insert (X)HTML Doctypes
    http://www.dwfaq.com/store/merchants.asp?MerchID=Jerry+Baker

    Jerry Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast